General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30148
    Yes, but there isn't usually a massive global supply chain failure. For some reason most people still think it shouldn't affect them. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultM said:
    Aren't consoles meant to go down in price after they've been out a while, not up?

Consoles are usually a bit of a loss-leader for the first few years, with the real profits made off of software and accessories. With the price increases of materials, supply shortages, and everything else of late, is it really surprising or “greedy” for Sony to  choose to do the same with the PS5 too?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Also Microsoft was very canny and paid up front for extra fab time meaning it has less difficulty getting the chips for the Xbox than Sony does with PS5. Of course PlayStation is the bigger seller, but it's still suffering more supply constraints.

• Well Ubisoft's share price has just tanked thanks to Tencent increasing their stake in them, and lowering any potential takeover prospects.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    Hard disagree on ps5 controller. Much prefer the Xbox controller. 

I’d also argue that Xbox has the better exclusives. And doing that show really it’s down to what kind of game you like. If interactive movie type adventures are your thing ps5 is the way to go - god of war, last of us etc. Me I prefer racing, flying etc. on Xbox we’ve got flight simulator and the two Forza franchises. Neither console has a better set of games - it’s down to the games you like.

I own a PS5 and an Xbox Series X. One gets used every day. One is hardly used and I regret buying. I bought the PS5 in anticipation of GT7. But the game is a massive disappointment. And I find the PS5 controllers trigger angles annoying for racing games. 

I am not the average gamer. So my likes aren’t the majority. But I’ve been playing games for over 40 years and i worked in the game industry for 15 years. I adore playing stuff like Microsoft Flight Sim and Forza Motorsport. So the Xbox is the ideal platform for me. I started console gaming with the first PlayStation (preferred computers before that) and for part of my career I worked on PlayStation websites. But the platform is less my kind of thing these days. And I probably won’t get a ps6 - the first PlayStation I won’t own. 
    It's just preference isn't it. I'm not going to say you're wrong or I'm right at all. Your opinion is valid. I do think that it is good that there has been some innovation in the controllers. I find it much more immersive but I also don't miss it when I play xbox either.

I'd say that it's not just interactive movie type adventure games, but games like Astro which is a great game, Stray, is a unique and wonderful synth wave puzzle game, the Oddworld games, Tony Hawks Remastered, Sifu etc are all unique games exclusive to PS and they're not cinematic adventure games. So while I get you like the games you like, there is a lot of variety.

But... we like what we like. And I like Xbox. But I just prefer PS for now. :)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30148
    The PS5 controller is their best yet. Ergonomically for me there's nothing between it and the XBox X one, but the PS5 haptic triggers are really, really neat.

Lots of good games on both. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Hard disagree on ps5 controller. Much prefer the Xbox controller. 

I’d also argue that Xbox has the better exclusives. And doing that show really it’s down to what kind of game you like. If interactive movie type adventures are your thing ps5 is the way to go - god of war, last of us etc. Me I prefer racing, flying etc. on Xbox we’ve got flight simulator and the two Forza franchises. Neither console has a better set of games - it’s down to the games you like.

I own a PS5 and an Xbox Series X. One gets used every day. One is hardly used and I regret buying. I bought the PS5 in anticipation of GT7. But the game is a massive disappointment. And I find the PS5 controllers trigger angles annoying for racing games. 

I am not the average gamer. So my likes aren’t the majority. But I’ve been playing games for over 40 years and i worked in the game industry for 15 years. I adore playing stuff like Microsoft Flight Sim and Forza Motorsport. So the Xbox is the ideal platform for me. I started console gaming with the first PlayStation (preferred computers before that) and for part of my career I worked on PlayStation websites. But the platform is less my kind of thing these days. And I probably won’t get a ps6 - the first PlayStation I won’t own. 
    It's just preference isn't it. I'm not going to say you're wrong or I'm right at all. Your opinion is valid. I do think that it is good that there has been some innovation in the controllers. I find it much more immersive but I also don't miss it when I play xbox either.

I'd say that it's not just interactive movie type adventure games, but games like Astro which is a great game, Stray, is a unique and wonderful synth wave puzzle game, the Oddworld games, Tony Hawks Remastered, Sifu etc are all unique games exclusive to PS and they're not cinematic adventure games. So while I get you like the games you like, there is a lot of variety.

Yep. And if PlayStation had the better choice of flying and racing I'd move over there too. I don't care so much about the box I just want the games. I'm too old for childish platform wars. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hard disagree on ps5 controller. Much prefer the Xbox controller. 

Yep. And if PlayStation had the better choice of flying and racing I'd move over there too. I don't care so much about the box I just want the games. I'm too old for childish platform wars. 
    You sure you don't want to get into a proper fan boy console war, just for old times sake? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone playing Cult of the Lamb?  

I picked it up yesterday after watching some gameplay on YouTube.  Interesting mix of dungeon crawler and settlement builder.

About 3 hours in and I'm enjoying it so far.  Only real complaint is that it seems a bit easy so far.  I started on the dev recommend difficulty and I've made my way to the end of the first dungeon (3 sub-bosses and a boss) with only one death which was on the first sub-boss.

Playing it on the steam deck.  It's listed as "playable" but it runs perfectly.  Might need the on screen keyboard if you want to rename cult members but that's it.
  • Hard disagree on ps5 controller. Much prefer the Xbox controller. 

You sure you don't want to get into a proper fan boy console war, just for old times sake? 
    ZX Spectrum rulez, C64 suckssss

• RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    edited September 2022 tFB Trader

But... we like what we like. And I like Xbox. But I just prefer PS for now.
    ZX Spectrum rulez, C64 suckssss
    I had a spectrum +2 with the built in tape deck... There were some great games for both those machines..  Do you remember the Dizzy series with the jumping egg?
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7686
    edited September 2022
    Yeah I'm aware of costs increasing, I just think it's an interesting move on a console that STILL doesn't really have any decent PS5 only games. The general consensus with my friends on ps5 at the current price is what's the point?  They're not jumping in to action to get it at a higher price.

The point with me was that my PS4 sounded like a jet taking off and the PS5 is silent. It was louder than the games and I do not like lots of different sounds clashing at the same time so I had to swap. I now play the same PS4 games but on PS5, it's not great. 
  • Rabs said:
    I had a specturm +2 with the built in tape deck... There were some great games for both those machines..  Do you remember the Dizzy series with the jumping egg?
    I grew up with a spectrum +2.  Treasure Island Dizzy was one of the first games we (me and my brother) had for it and we collected pretty much the entire series after that - sometimes having multiple copies of a game as we'd buy the collections just because they came in a special box with new artwork and booklets.  Basically, anything from Codemasters, and specifically the Oliver Twins, we went nuts for.  It still bugs me that we never completed Crystal Kingdom Dizzy.

My cousins had a C64 that, I guess, was the technically better machine but the only game I was envious of was the C64 version of Jack the Nipper 2 which just seemed to be an almost completely different and better game than the spectrum version.
  • RedRabbit said:
    Rabs said:
    I had a specturm +2 with the built in tape deck... There were some great games for both those machines..  Do you remember the Dizzy series with the jumping egg?
    I grew up with a spectrum +2.  Treasure Island Dizzy was one of the first games we (me and my brother) had for it and we collected pretty much the entire series after that - sometimes having multiple copies of a game as we'd buy the collections just because they came in a special box with new artwork and booklets.  Basically, anything from Codemasters, and specifically the Oliver Twins, we went nuts for.  It still bugs me that we never completed Crystal Kingdom Dizzy.

My cousins had a C64 that, I guess, was the technically better machine but the only game I was envious of was the C64 version of Jack the Nipper 2 which just seemed to be an almost completely different and better game than the spectrum version.
    My first machine was an Oric 1 and I mainly programmed on it than anything else.

Then I moved to a C64 and loved it, my best mate who lived 5 doors away had a Speccy so we had the best of both between us. Round his for Avalon, Dragontorc and Knightlore; round mine for Entombed, Uridium and Kickstart.

C64 sound for an 8 bit machine was ahead of its time, that SID chip was a winner.
  • DefaultM said:
    Yeah I'm aware of costs increasing, I just think it's an interesting move on a console that STILL doesn't really have any decent PS5 only games. The general consensus with my friends on ps5 at the current price is what's the point?  They're not jumping in to action to get it at a higher price.

The point with me was that my PS4 sounded like a jet taking off and the PS5 is silent. It was louder than the games and I do not like lots of different sounds clashing at the same time so I had to swap. I now play the same PS4 games but on PS5, it's not great. 

Yeah, that's probably something I should note... Maybe I can find a ps4 pro cheap. Mine sounds like a jet engine even after I cleaned it. Maybe I'll try again. 
    edited September 2022
    @FarleyUK Check your emails. Mine said it was being delivered by Parcelforce but is actually being delivered by (the horror) EVRI and should be out for delivery today/tomorrow. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My PS5 certainly isn't silent. Another reason why my genuinely silent Series X gets more use. 

My PS5 certainly isn't silent. Another reason why my genuinely silent Series X gets more use. 
    My Xbox is silent. Because I never use it. :lol:

(Use Gamepass all the time via Steam Deck though ;)
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511
    @FarleyUK Check your emails. Mine said it was being delivered by Parcelforce but is actually being delivered by (the horror) EVRI and should be out for delivery today/tomorrow. 
    Yep, out for delivery today! Wahey!
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511
    So the Steam Deck arrived, and I managed to fill the internal HD up, plus 2 x 1TB cards with games. All in prep for my flight to the US. Even checked that the set on the plane had a power socket. Awesome!

....however, it seemed that as I had to use a plug socket adapter (power socket was 2 pin US style), the Deck would not charge... so i only managed 45 mins of Space Marine. Boooo.

I've also tried charging it in the hotel, and get the 'slow charger' message. I'm going to get a 30W 2 pin plug for the USB cable and will see if that sorts it.

Bloody love the Steam Deck though. It's amazing, especially seeing as I can just hook it up to the TV in the room (once it's charged!).