General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12320
    The Steam DEck Charger is 45w, so I would get one with at least that.  There are lots in the 60w range and tiny.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Look, you can actually do something useful on steam deck:

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18307
    tFB Trader
    Im getting really into No Man's Sky again.

It's an awesome game.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Why is the PS5 so ugly?!? :mrgreen:

@monquixote - I’ve been giving that a second try again too. I had it on day 1 and was very disappointed; I figured with the updates etc it should be a lot better by now but I’m ~20hrs in and can’t see masses of improvements - is it really worth the grind?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18307
    tFB Trader
    Why is the PS5 so ugly?!? :mrgreen:

@monquixote - I’ve been giving that a second try again too. I had it on day 1 and was very disappointed; I figured with the updates etc it should be a lot better by now but I’m ~20hrs in and can’t see masses of improvements - is it really worth the grind?!

You are probably further in than me and I'm really enjoying it.

I think it's one step above an idle game, you just potter about mining resources, building and scanning,

It's what "Extra Credit" would call an abnegation game. 

I think the main game hasn't really changed its just there is now shed loads of stuff to do rather than basically nothing as there was in the original version and it looks a lot better and is less crashy. 
  • MGS players - did any of you ever make sense of MGS:V? I've dusted it off to have a second play-through and I still can't look past the god-awful story in it even though the gameplay's okay. 

It's a shame that we'll likely never get a new Metal Gear game, but it really did peak with Snake Eater. :(
  • MGS players - did any of you ever make sense of MGS:V? I've dusted it off to have a second play-through and I still can't look past the god-awful story in it even though the gameplay's okay. 

It's a shame that we'll likely never get a new Metal Gear game, but it really did peak with Snake Eater. :(
    It's the only MGS I never finished. I've done all the others at least twice, and 1-3 a whole bunch each.

The story was unintelligible nonsense and the gameplay being non-linear just meant no direction and felt like i was raiding the same 4 locations over and over :( 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30148
    I did Tinykin. Brilliant. Nothing like Pikmin, it's just a brightly coloured 3D platformer with essentially no consequences for messing up. A lovely palate-cleanser after GTAV. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Is no one playing Frog Simulator?

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    Oh yea I fully completed MGS: V. The main storyline was nonsense and it wasn't actually that long. I spent all my time taking bases and all that. I never know what's going on in those games. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    MGS players - did any of you ever make sense of MGS:V? I've dusted it off to have a second play-through and I still can't look past the god-awful story in it even though the gameplay's okay. 
    it's thematically very rich but light on actual plot. in a post-Death Stranding world, i didn't find a lot of joy returning to MGSV.

The story was unintelligible nonsense and the gameplay being non-linear just meant no direction and felt like i was raiding the same 4 locations over and over :( 

if you just play the required progression missions i don't think you actually return to the smaller bases all that often. like Death Stranding, grinding out the side missions means going over the same areas several times, but the reward is the cool gear!

• Elden ring still being played by me. Made it to level 90 and got massively sidetracked with Fia, Rogier and D, which ended their story beautifully. I've also kicked off ranni to do something but no idea how to continue that particular quest, and I'm playing blind. 

I'm a long way from finishing the game I think, but the open world has highlighted why I don't love open world games. I'm too strong for the next bit of the game. The pacing is all off now. I'm just walking through one-shotting everything. However, because I'm playing blind, I'm not in any way competitive for PvP. Everyone in PvP uses a bleed katana or huge magic attacks, such that it seems likely they have used a guide. I'm using a pair of curved swords because it looks cool, and I got bored of the colossal sword move set with the ruins greatsword. 

It's also so massive and long, I don't think I'll play it again like this. I may use speed run strategies to get through it faster, and use a guide for different endings, but it's more likely it'll gather dust. I hope the open world is dropped next time round.

In other news, I was playing final fantasy 4 on the 2DS but the multi game cartridge is buggy. I'm going to get a new micro sd and copy the roms across - apparently, it's because the micro sd used is super low quality. Fingers crossed that works. 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525
    After not really getting into originally, I picked up Slay the Spire again at the weekend and I'm loving it now.

I haven't managed to beat act 3 yet.  Got really close on one attempt only for the boss to regenerate all it's health after I'd beaten it once.  I wasn't prepared for it so had been focusing on dealing damage rather preserving health.

My builds are still very dependant on getting the "right" cards though.  I can't get my head around making a build that works on the fly.  Some runs I can barely get past act 1.

Also started Persona 5.  Only a few hours in and I'm enjoying it but I haven't really got much of a clue what's going on.  It's a bit linear at the moment but I'm assuming it'll open up as the game progresses.

• SporkySporky Frets: 30148
    Finished Saints Row 3. Now on Saints Row 4, which is hilariously brilliant and woefully underrated. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511
    FYI - for those with Steam Decks, Amazon Prime's 'early sale' have some good prices on 512GB SD cards. Third party docks are also discounted (just snagged myself one).
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12320
    FarleyUK said:
    FYI - for those with Steam Decks, Amazon Prime's 'early sale' have some good prices on 512GB SD cards. Third party docks are also discounted (just snagged myself one).
    The good 512G ones (Samsung Evo Select) have sold out (about 10am), the 256G are still left though.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408

In other news, I was playing final fantasy 4 on the 2DS but the multi game cartridge is buggy. I'm going to get a new micro sd and copy the roms across - apparently, it's because the micro sd used is super low quality. Fingers crossed that works. 
    i might be misunderstanding but i'm not sure why you'd bother with a flash cart these days when the 3ds line is so easy to hack, run cfw and roms.

• After getting my Steam Deck a month or so ago, I've been playing Horizon Zero Dawn again. What. A. Game. Beautiful graphics, on a par with RDR2 and a cracking story. I hope Horizon Zero West comes out on PC.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335 said:

i might be misunderstanding but i'm not sure why you'd bother with a flash cart these days when the 3ds line is so easy to hack, run cfw and roms.

Is it the same as 2ds?

RedRabbit said:
    After not really getting into originally, I picked up Slay the Spire again at the weekend and I'm loving it now.

I haven't managed to beat act 3 yet.  Got really close on one attempt only for the boss to regenerate all it's health after I'd beaten it once.  I wasn't prepared for it so had been focusing on dealing damage rather preserving health.

My builds are still very dependant on getting the "right" cards though.  I can't get my head around making a build that works on the fly.  Some runs I can barely get past act 1.

Also started Persona 5.  Only a few hours in and I'm enjoying it but I haven't really got much of a clue what's going on.  It's a bit linear at the moment but I'm assuming it'll open up as the game progresses.

Slay the spire is my warm up every morning. I play for one hour before work, to get me sharp, on top difficulty (ascension 20) and always going for heart kills. I win, maybe, about 1 in 20 runs. At ascension 0 (base difficulty) I got bored after winning 15 in a row.

That's not a brag - I've sunk hundreds of hours, and watch others play as well. The depth of the game is absolutely incredible, and tests memory and skill much more than luck. My least favourite runs are instant act 1 watcher infinites - I got a floor 1 rushdown and floor 2 fear no evil, so after that I just needed a mental fortress for block, which I got early act 2. The rest of the game I could have done blindfolded, nearly. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28682
    After getting my Steam Deck a month or so ago, I've been playing Horizon Zero Dawn again. What. A. Game. Beautiful graphics, on a par with RDR2 and a cracking story. I hope Horizon Zero West comes out on PC.
    Yeah, HZD is phenomenal. HFW was good fun but didn't quite hit the same heights for me
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires