General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Elden ring still being played by me. Made it to level 90 and got massively sidetracked with Fia, Rogier and D, which ended their story beautifully. I've also kicked off ranni to do something but no idea how to continue that particular quest, and I'm playing blind. 

I'm a long way from finishing the game I think, but the open world has highlighted why I don't love open world games. I'm too strong for the next bit of the game. The pacing is all off now. I'm just walking through one-shotting everything. However, because I'm playing blind, I'm not in any way competitive for PvP. Everyone in PvP uses a bleed katana or huge magic attacks, such that it seems likely they have used a guide. I'm using a pair of curved swords because it looks cool, and I got bored of the colossal sword move set with the ruins greatsword. 

It's also so massive and long, I don't think I'll play it again like this. I may use speed run strategies to get through it faster, and use a guide for different endings, but it's more likely it'll gather dust. I hope the open world is dropped next time round.

In other news, I was playing final fantasy 4 on the 2DS but the multi game cartridge is buggy. I'm going to get a new micro sd and copy the roms across - apparently, it's because the micro sd used is super low quality. Fingers crossed that works. 
    Good to hear about your experience with Elden Ring. Perhaps I could share mine as eloquently.....

I died.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28682
    I've been playing The Turing Test on PS+Extra. It's good in a Portal-without-Portals sort of way. I think the plot is going to take a couple of twist and, I assume, get a bit philosophical. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    bbill335 said:

In other news, I was playing final fantasy 4 on the 2DS but the multi game cartridge is buggy. I'm going to get a new micro sd and copy the roms across - apparently, it's because the micro sd used is super low quality. Fingers crossed that works. 
    i might be misunderstanding but i'm not sure why you'd bother with a flash cart these days when the 3ds line is so easy to hack, run cfw and roms.

Is it the same as 2ds?
    yes, the software is the same. there should be info on the link i spoilered to identify what hardware+software you're running and how to hack your particular unit. 
  • bbill335 said:
    bbill335 said:

i might be misunderstanding but i'm not sure why you'd bother with a flash cart these days when the 3ds line is so easy to hack, run cfw and roms.

Is it the same as 2ds?
    yes, the software is the same. there should be info on the link i spoilered to identify what hardware+software you're running and how to hack your particular unit. 

Nice. I'll look into that as a weekend project, and use the games from my cart and copy across. 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525
    bbill335 said:

Is it the same as 2ds?

RedRabbit said:
    After not really getting into originally, I picked up Slay the Spire again at the weekend and I'm loving it now.

I haven't managed to beat act 3 yet.  Got really close on one attempt only for the boss to regenerate all it's health after I'd beaten it once.  I wasn't prepared for it so had been focusing on dealing damage rather preserving health.

My builds are still very dependant on getting the "right" cards though.  I can't get my head around making a build that works on the fly.  Some runs I can barely get past act 1.

Also started Persona 5.  Only a few hours in and I'm enjoying it but I haven't really got much of a clue what's going on.  It's a bit linear at the moment but I'm assuming it'll open up as the game progresses.

Slay the spire is my warm up every morning. I play for one hour before work, to get me sharp, on top difficulty (ascension 20) and always going for heart kills. I win, maybe, about 1 in 20 runs. At ascension 0 (base difficulty) I got bored after winning 15 in a row.

That's not a brag - I've sunk hundreds of hours, and watch others play as well. The depth of the game is absolutely incredible, and tests memory and skill much more than luck. My least favourite runs are instant act 1 watcher infinites - I got a floor 1 rushdown and floor 2 fear no evil, so after that I just needed a mental fortress for block, which I got early act 2. The rest of the game I could have done blindfolded, nearly. 
    Finally beat act 3 as the ironclad after about 10 hours of gameplay.

Did my first run-through as the silence this morning and beat it without any real hassle.  A heavy poison and block build is just a tiny bit OP.  On act 3 I didn't take any damage until the final boss.
  • RedRabbit said:
    bbill335 said:

Is it the same as 2ds?

RedRabbit said:
    After not really getting into originally, I picked up Slay the Spire again at the weekend and I'm loving it now.

I haven't managed to beat act 3 yet.  Got really close on one attempt only for the boss to regenerate all it's health after I'd beaten it once.  I wasn't prepared for it so had been focusing on dealing damage rather preserving health.

My builds are still very dependant on getting the "right" cards though.  I can't get my head around making a build that works on the fly.  Some runs I can barely get past act 1.

Also started Persona 5.  Only a few hours in and I'm enjoying it but I haven't really got much of a clue what's going on.  It's a bit linear at the moment but I'm assuming it'll open up as the game progresses.

Slay the spire is my warm up every morning. I play for one hour before work, to get me sharp, on top difficulty (ascension 20) and always going for heart kills. I win, maybe, about 1 in 20 runs. At ascension 0 (base difficulty) I got bored after winning 15 in a row.

That's not a brag - I've sunk hundreds of hours, and watch others play as well. The depth of the game is absolutely incredible, and tests memory and skill much more than luck. My least favourite runs are instant act 1 watcher infinites - I got a floor 1 rushdown and floor 2 fear no evil, so after that I just needed a mental fortress for block, which I got early act 2. The rest of the game I could have done blindfolded, nearly. 
    Finally beat act 3 as the ironclad after about 10 hours of gameplay.

Did my first run-through as the silence this morning and beat it without any real hassle.  A heavy poison and block build is just a tiny bit OP.  On act 3 I didn't take any damage until the final boss.

Haha heavy poison + block on high ascension = floor 6 death to gremlin nob. But yes, when it works, it's fantastic - I've seen a video of Jorbs who managed a stack overflow on poison by using nightmare and catalyst on the heart.

It's such a good game! 
  • I’m currently trying to platinum Fallout 4. 

I’ve played it a lot since release, in inconsistent bursts, but I realised recently that I’d never actually finished the main quest before, and that most of my playtime didn’t earn any trophies as I had mods enabled (graphical, mostly). 

Fallout 3 and NV are still ‘better’ games, but I really do like this one too. I do wish they’d try and bring out a UK/EU-based sequel one day though for a but more variety on settings and NPC interactions. Hopefully the whole ‘76 debacle won’t temper future plans too much.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30148
    I'm on Ghost of Sashimi or similar. It's Tomb Horizons Creed of Mordor. But good. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525
    I’m currently trying to platinum Fallout 4. 

I’ve played it a lot since release, in inconsistent bursts, but I realised recently that I’d never actually finished the main quest before, and that most of my playtime didn’t earn any trophies as I had mods enabled (graphical, mostly). 

Fallout 3 and NV are still ‘better’ games, but I really do like this one too. I do wish they’d try and bring out a UK/EU-based sequel one day though for a but more variety on settings and NPC interactions. Hopefully the whole ‘76 debacle won’t temper future plans too much.
    Fallout 4 is easily one of my most played games.  Yes 3 and NV might be "better" games but I don't think they've aged particularly well.

Have you played the DLC stories? Far Harbour is considered by most to be better than the main game with much better story/writing and stronger RPG elements.  Personally, I think it's worth it just for the harpoon gun!

As for the UK based game, there's a huge mod project called Fallout London.  It's not out yet and has been on the verge of release for a while now but, unlike some mod projects, I do actually expect it'll be released at some point.  Early footage and gameplay look promising. I think some of the Devs involved are now working for Bethesda.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 149
    RedRabbit said:
    I’m currently trying to platinum Fallout 4. 

Fallout 4 is easily one of my most played games.  Yes 3 and NV might be "better" games but I don't think they've aged particularly well.

Have you played the DLC stories? Far Harbour is considered by most to be better than the main game with much better story/writing and stronger RPG elements.  Personally, I think it's worth it just for the harpoon gun!

As for the UK based game, there's a huge mod project called Fallout London.  It's not out yet and has been on the verge of release for a while now but, unlike some mod projects, I do actually expect it'll be released at some point.  Early footage and gameplay look promising. I think some of the Devs involved are now working for Bethesda.
    I have been replaying Fallout 4 on Game Pass (originally played it on PS4) mainly because I started Fallout 76 and it just felt like a watered down and grindier version of Fallout 4. I am also in to get all the achievements in the base game (not too fussed about the DLC), the best thing about it for me has been having a completely different game to my first playthrough, I have arrived at different parts of the game from different angles and whilst it is seen as the dumbed down Fallout, the amount of ways to play is still staggering. Even if you end up opening fire more than in the predecessors. Just got that tricky Benevolent Leader one to pop....
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25497
    I'm now downloading the new Call of Duty.

Yes I know!

But it's still the perfect after work stress relief blaster. The last one (Black Ops) was poor, but MW was great fun.
    I'm hoping the new one will be good.

I'm also hoping my RTX2060 will be fine as I don't have the money for an upgrade at the moment.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• RE:Verse is finally up and running, played it earlier and quite like it although I'm crap when I turn into a monster.
  • I'm now downloading the new Call of Duty.

Yes I know!

But it's still the perfect after work stress relief blaster. The last one (Black Ops) was poor, but MW was great fun.
    I'm hoping the new one will be good.

I'm also hoping my RTX2060 will be fine as I don't have the money for an upgrade at the moment.

I'm holding off. I still play modern warfare multiplayer and it's still good. Black ops was terrible. How they made that same engine feel so weird I'll never know.

Mw2 looks good, but they always do... Let me know how you get on? I don't play warzone so it's all ground war and multiplayer. 
  • RE:Verse is turning out to be a good balance. It's intense yet fun
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    edited October 2022 tFB Trader
    I finally bought a new console (my first since the Gamecube)..  But didnt go for the PS5 or Xbox..   I got a switch (an OLED one).

Always been a big Nintendo fan. The SNES and N64 are two of my all time favourite consoles for the games.. And also I liked the idea of being able to use it on the go (or the loo  ) if needed.

And yes.. So far so good. Its giving me the slightly less full on games which is what I wanted. As someone who has been playing games since I was 11 and was a games tester for several years I think I have had my fill of all out action games and am happy with the slower pace of a lot of their games. And Nintendo do that really well.. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    Rabs said:
    I finally bought a new console..  But didnt go for the PS5 or Xbox..   I got a switch (an OLED one).

Always been a big Nintendo fan. The SNES and N64 are two of my all time favourite consoles for the games.. And also I liked the idea of being able to use it on the go (or the loo  :) ) if needed.

And yes.. So far so good. Its giving me the slightly less full on games which is what I wanted. As someone who has been playing games since I was 11 and was a games tester for several years I think I have had my fill of all out action games and am happy with the slower pace of a lot of their games. And Nintendo do that really well.. 
    Get Metroid. It is the nuts! 
    tFB Trader
    Rabs said:
    I finally bought a new console..  But didnt go for the PS5 or Xbox..   I got a switch (an OLED one).

Always been a big Nintendo fan. The SNES and N64 are two of my all time favourite consoles for the games.. And also I liked the idea of being able to use it on the go (or the loo  :) ) if needed.

Get Metroid. It is the nuts! 
    Yeah, Super Metroid is a classic... Ive seen the vids of it and it does look old school.... I think one of my friends has it so I will probably borrow his. This week I got an oldish game called Starlink: Battle for Atlas..  Which only cost £16.99. Its not really a Starfox game officially but if you get the Switch version Starfox is an exclusive character so it also is pretty much a Starfox game..  Again seen vids of it.. You get to fly around a solar system with I think seven planets but what I really like is theres no loading scenes.. When you fly down to a planet its all in real time. 

I also have Mario Cart 8 (which is a must), one of the newer Zelda games and a newish free roaming Pokemon game. I played one of them on the Gameboy years ago and quite liked it.. This one is way way better....
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30148
    I am considering a golf game. I loved Golf Story and What The Golf. Wasteland Golf Club was rubbish. I think it's between:

Cursed to Golf
    Easy Come Easy Golf
    A Little Golf Journey

Anyone recommend or otherwise? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18307
    tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

Good call.

I struggle to work up the enthusiasm for a PS5.

The graphics on the PS4 seem fine to me and the games don't actually seem to be any better other than loading times.

The Switch is constantly in use in our house every member of the family loves it.
    edited October 2022 tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    I am considering a golf game. I loved Golf Story and What The Golf. Wasteland Golf Club was rubbish. I think it's between:

Cursed to Golf
    Easy Come Easy Golf
    A Little Golf Journey

Anyone recommend or otherwise? 
    Yes very much another game type I want..

On the Playstation, my all time favourite golf game was Everybody's Golf. More of an arcade type game than a simulation and more fun. Just really easy to play but still challenging enough to be fun..

For the Switch, theres one I have seen called Tee Time Golf. It looks really similar to Everybody's Golf but hasnt got good reviews.. I also know theres Marios Golf - Super Rush which to be honest looks TOO arcady. I want a more simple game than that.