General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    tFB Trader
    i love no mans sky (i have it on xbox and just bought it for switch too).

the game is massively improved from when it originally was released (and it is getting constant free updates 6 years later).

one of the best space exploration games you can play (i used to play elite dangerous a lot but since they said there would be no further updates to console i don't play it any more/or plan to tbh).

just take your time to begin with as there is a lot of stuff to get to grips with, but it is def worth it.
    Nice cheers.. Yeah it looks great.. 

Strangely I am quite interested in the Creative mode.. I like that theres a mode that just lets you explore..  I can imagine sticking some Pink Floyd on or something and just enjoy flying about the universe  :)  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18307
    tFB Trader
    I love no man's sky.

I'd play it in normal mode. It's a pretty easy game.

Creative mode is a bit like a less flexible Minecraft I imagine you would be bored in a few hours.
    The core loop of the game is collecting resources so having infinite resources from the start makes the game pointless.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30147
    I tried before and after the update. Didn't like it either way. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    Sporky said:
    I tried before and after the update. Didn't like it either way. 
    Yea I did too and I found it unbelievably repetitive. I couldn't see the appeal personally. 
  • I wanted to love NMS - it was the last game I preordered, and we all know how that went. I've tried a couple of times since big updates but it still doesn't quite click for me. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader
    I think you have to think about it in the right way.

It's kind of a chill floating around in space gathering resources kind of a game. 

The combat is rubbish and the story isn't that interesting so it's almost like a kind of cookie clicker in space. 

Plus you can tame aliens and ride them like a horse and build a robot mech suit.
  • Has anyone tried scorn? I really like the Giger-esque aesthetic but it looks well grim and wondering if it's a little too much. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    i liked NMS a lot on release. i liked flying around, maintaining and upgrading my little spaceship, getting into dogfights. when they updated and everyone was saying "it's good now", it was tutorialising me about building a house. i don't want a house, i want to keep moving. didn't get past that.
    tFB Trader
    bbill335 said:
    i liked NMS a lot on release. i liked flying around, maintaining and upgrading my little spaceship, getting into dogfights. when they updated and everyone was saying "it's good now", it was tutorialising me about building a house. i don't want a house, i want to keep moving. didn't get past that.

Having a base doesn't really slow you down as you can freely teleport from your house to any space station you've ever visited. It's just a place to keep stuff and has a few people who give you missions and upgrades.
  • Currently working my way through Mario Allstars on the Switch. Got Link’s Awakening on my Xmas list and looking forward to the BOTW sequel. Still dip into BOTW now and then just to wander around, looking for remaining shrines arc. 
    Started the 7 day trial of Nintendo Online to try out the NES and SNES titles. Are the N64 games any good on it? Might upgrade to the expansion pack for them. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7684
    I'm on the top tier of PS Plus because I had PS Now at the time they did the revamp. Is there really anyone out there that was clamouring to pay an additional £50 a year to get on demand access to decades old games? I loaded up Ape Escape and thought yeah I would have enjoyed this 23 years ago, but I honestly can't be bothered wrestling with it now.
    tFB Trader
    Currently working my way through Mario Allstars on the Switch. Got Link’s Awakening on my Xmas list and looking forward to the BOTW sequel. Still dip into BOTW now and then just to wander around, looking for remaining shrines arc. 
    Started the 7 day trial of Nintendo Online to try out the NES and SNES titles. Are the N64 games any good on it? Might upgrade to the expansion pack for them. 

You get N64 and Mega Drive games. 
    It's alright, but not mind blowing.
    It's really worth it if you have Mario Kart as you get all the expansion courses or Animal Crossing as you get Happy Home Paradise.
    tFB Trader
    I also got that Ghostbusters port..  I never played the original game so while I know it will have dated a bit am looking forward to having a go. It was only £22 so I thought worth it :) 
  • Rabs said:
    I also got that Ghostbusters port..  I never played the original game so while I know it will have dated a bit am looking forward to having a go. It was only £22 so I thought worth it :) 
    Is it like the old one from the late 80s / early 90s where you drive around in the car and then have the trapping the ghost mini game?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    tFB Trader
    Rabs said:
    Is it like the old one from the late 80s / early 90s where you drive around in the car and then have the trapping the ghost mini game?
    No it was a PC game from 2009 (I think)...

bbill335 said:

Having a base doesn't really slow you down as you can freely teleport from your house to any space station you've ever visited. It's just a place to keep stuff and has a few people who give you missions and upgrades.
    the tutorial is just too long and mandatory!
  • Rabs said:
    Rabs said:
    No it was a PC game from 2009 (I think)...

It's basically intended to be GB3 in video game format. It's not groundbreaking but it's a fun game - I had it on PS3
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader
    So I started No Mans Sky this weekend...

Just wow.. So much to do and its so huge...  I started in the normal mode so I could get used to the game. I do find the whole mining and refining and combining of materials a bit much.. Its where it gets a bit too detailed for me and kind of stops the exploration side a bit as you cant just go where you want and do what you want without constantly recharging your kit... 

Which is why last night I decided to start the Creative mode,,, And I found it much more interesting as I could just concentrate on exploration. You still get missions to go on and stuff if you want too but you can just fly about checking out planets and other star systems or whatever... You can buy any ship or freighter you want. And theres so many different ones you can just spend time doing that...

Granted I have only played that mode for short while but so far I am enjoying it.

Negatives for me....  Well my eyes arent great and I found that theres so much text on the screen it really strains my eyes. I have even put the HUD up to 150% and still struggle (and yes I am playing on the TV not on the console screen).. This may put me off after a while..  And I guess theres the graphics where collision boxes are all over the place and the animations of the various animals are pretty poor. But in all honesty I dont mind that so much. It is what it is and is just the way it works. But yeah, the size of it and amount to do is pretty impressive. Especially on the Switch.

This is my first real gaming for well over a decade now. So for me I have never really played anything like it. I mean there was of course Elite which I loved. But this is on a whole other level. Its almost too much.
  • Hollow night is brilliant. Tricky, though. Any fans? 
    Hollow night is brilliant. Tricky, though. Any fans? 
    hell yes! need to finish it, got to the end then fell off it. i might start it again at some point.