General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2252
    nero1701 said:
    Okee dokee Steam Deck peeps..

Who is using one docked? What's it like? I see it supports 120hz when docked so am interested in using it docked with a Xbox Series controller with the bonus I can use it handheld when I'm having a bedbound day.

Am looking at the middle priced one.
    I have the middle priced one, I've tried it with a Dock on my pc monitor, while acceptable, resolution is quite limiting. Works just fine with the xbox wireless. The deck is so good, I'm considering doing away with the gaming pc altogether. 
    My Deck is in transit. Should have it in a few days. :)

I must admit I’m finding it amusing that all the PC Master Race are loving what is essentially a console. 

For years PC gamers have been mocking console players for not having the same graphics and refresh rates, now they are talking about giving up the PC, to play on a 7” screen. :) 

I’ve held off building a PC as the last Gen of GPU’s didn’t offer much over PS5 and Series X which I have both of. However, I’m looking to build one when the RX 7900 XTX comes out, if I can get one. 

One thing though that is bugging me is having to buy the same games on multiple platforms. Fortunately GamePass covers both PC and XBox, but not Deck unless you stream. PlayStation Plus offers no cross platform options, just remote play. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    edited November 2022
    Luckily remote play works amazingly with Steam Deck. Gamepass is okay, but there is a hit to graphics etc. 
    edited December 2022
    Luckily remote play works amazingly with Steam Deck. Gamepass is okay, but there is a hit to graphics etc. 
    This is what I mean. You can download every GamePass game on PC and XBox, yet on the Deck your only option is to stream it. I guess GamePass is damaging for Steam, hence they won’t support it. But given Steam restrict the source of the licence to play, this makes the Deck more a console than a PC. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12320
    I know people who put windows on it and use it as a PC, granted that is a very minority.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511
    I keep buying Steam games, yet never have time to play on the Deck (or my laptop). Doh!

Also picked up Darktide and a couple of others in the sale; however, Darktide will just be a single player experience, as I have no friends. Also looking forward to Callisto Protocol tomorrow!
    I know people who put windows on it and use it as a PC, granted that is a very minority.
    Must run like a dog 
    Barnezy said:
    Must run like a dog 
    Apparently, it's fine!
    Barnezy said:
    This is what I mean. You can download every GamePass game on PC and XBox, yet on the Deck your only option is to stream it. I guess GamePass is damaging for Steam, hence they won’t support it. But given Steam restrict the source of the licence to play, this makes the Deck more a console than a PC. 
    Yea I can't see MS allowing us to download it either because then what's the point in buying a console or PC. In regards to graphics, it depends on the game, I wouldn't care too much if it's an indie game but if it were a big title like A Plagues Tale I wouldn't bother because you're doing yourself a disservice.

Barnezy said:
    Must run like a dog 
    Apparently, it's fine!
    Yea it's a very optimised device. It runs very well. 
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1657
    edited December 2022
    I'm planning Elden Ring. It's hard as a fucking hard thing. Looks great on deck. But I like the fact that I can play between the deck when I travel for work, the living room on the sofa with the pc in there or in the toy room with the other PC. All syncs
    Also Elite Dangerous
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30147
    I started Vampire Survivors. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Order a Miyoo Mini (as per other thread) and waiting (im)patiently for it to arrive. 

I suspect if I get on well, I'll end up buying a Retroid Pocket 3+ so I can play N64 games and the like...OR I'm toying with the idea of getting a switch, as I noticed they have N64 back catalogue available now and I'd love to play through Breath of the Wild. My wife questions when I'll find time to play (which is a legitimate question), but.... I WANT. 
  • joneve said:
    Order a Miyoo Mini (as per other thread) and waiting (im)patiently for it to arrive. 

I suspect if I get on well, I'll end up buying a Retroid Pocket 3+ so I can play N64 games and the like...OR I'm toying with the idea of getting a switch, as I noticed they have N64 back catalogue available now and I'd love to play through Breath of the Wild. My wife questions when I'll find time to play (which is a legitimate question), but.... I WANT. 
    Just get a steam deck - brilliant emulation machine.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, I've got Breath of the Wild (WiiU version) running on it and it looks and performs better than on the switch. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    RedRabbit said:
    joneve said:

Just get a steam deck - brilliant emulation machine.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, I've got Breath of the Wild (WiiU version) running on it and it looks and performs better than on the switch. 
    Did think that but christ they're not cheap :joy: 

They are completely different devices, one starts at £350, one is £60.
    One is so large it isn't pocket size (Canadian Goose Winter coat pockets don't count!), and the other is half the size of a phone.

Sporky said:
    I started Vampire Survivors. 
    I keep seeing people say they're playing that. How is it?
  • Vampire Survivors has ruined my life. It’s so damn addictive. One more run! Two hours later…. One more run! 
  • that look pretty fun!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • They are completely different devices, one starts at £350, one is £60.
    One is so large it isn't pocket size (Canadian Goose Winter coat pockets don't count!), and the other is half the size of a phone.

I meant as an alternative to getting a switch for n64 and BotW.  Clearly you can't compare the steam deck to a miyoo mini.
  • I’ve had my steam deck since May and played it exclusively for the first few months. I enjoyed playing Hitman 2, Valheim, No Man’s Sky and replaying Oblivion on it. I’m currently playing Witcher 3, although more on the PC than deck. It’s nice to be able to play it ligging on the bed though. That’s the beauty of the steam deck!
  • Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, easily the best Zelda game I've played since the original on the NES