General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30147
    Sporky said:
    I started Vampire Survivors. 
    I keep seeing people say they're playing that. How is it?
    Much better than it has any right to be! Graphics are a bit shoddy. Music is OK. Gameplay is basic - all you can do is move. 

Somehow it's brilliant. Fun and satisfying. And a run is (as far as I can tell) 30 minutes maximum. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, easily the best Zelda game I've played since the original on the NES
    Ocarina and Windwaker for me
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3451
    edited December 2022
    Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, easily the best Zelda game I've played since the original on the NES

I might have to give those 2 another go it's been that long since I played them, what really put me off the others lihe BOTW and Skyward Sword, is the controls, you have to either wave you hands in the air like an idiot, draw on the screen with your finger,  or preform fancy difficult moves with the control stick to do the most basic of things, like swing your sword, instead of just pushing a button.  Basically every version of Zelda that was released on the Wii and WiiU, in my opinion was ruined beyound being playable by the controls.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    edited December 2022
    Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, easily the best Zelda game I've played since the original on the NES

I might have to give those 2 another go it's been that long since I played them, what really put me off the others lihe BOTW and Skyward Sword, is the controls, you have to either wave you hands in the air like an idiot, draw on the screen with your finger,  or preform fancy difficult moves with the control stick to do the most basic of things, like swing your sword, instead of just pushing a button.  Basically every version of Zelda that was released on the Wii and WiiU, in my opinion was ruined beyound being playable by the controls.
    You don't do any of that on BOTW really. BOTW is one of the best games ever made, top three for that generation probably and was a precursor for Elden Ring, which is also one of the best games ever made. You should play it. It's much, much better than Links Awakening. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2022

You don't do any of that on BOTW really. BOTW is one of the best games ever made, top three for that generation probably and was a precursor for Elden Ring, which is also one of the best games ever made. You should play it. It's much, much better than Links Awakening. 

There's a section where you have to preform the movements of an ochestra conductor, and a good few others where you have to wave your hands about in the air like an idiot, though I've only played BOTW on the WiiU, so the controls may be different on the Switch.   And Eldon Ring is on my list, actually have a copy waiting for me to find the time, playing the Switch right now as it's portable, so I can bring it with me when I visit my cousin in hospital and game with him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Sporky said:
    I started Vampire Survivors. 
    I keep seeing people say they're playing that. How is it?
    Much better than it has any right to be! Graphics are a bit shoddy. Music is OK. Gameplay is basic - all you can do is move. 

Somehow it's brilliant. Fun and satisfying. And a run is (as far as I can tell) 30 minutes maximum. 
    I downloaded it last night and lost over an hour to it )

Very addictive. It's funny how different weapons become better as you level. My last run last night I maxed out the knife with the barbarian dude in the library and he was just unstoppable but the first 5 levels with just knife and Santos water were really tough.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I don't remember that orchestra section at all on Switch. It definitely wasn't heavy with those kinds of mechanics at all, and I can't remember any instance where I had to use mad motion controls. I can't imagine the game is that different on the Wii. 
    edited December 2022
    I don't remember that orchestra section at all on Switch. It definitely wasn't heavy with those kinds of mechanics at all, and I can't remember any instance where I had to use mad motion controls. I can't imagine the game is that different on the Wii. 

Not that I've played many games on both the WiiU - I  never owned a Wii, and Switch, and only recenly really started playing the Switch due to it's portability, but what games I've played on both the WiiU and Switch have had differences, and in some cases huge differences between the versions on the WiiU and Switch, so much so, that I now google the controls for games that I hated on the WiiU due to how they where played and controled, if they are available on the Switch, for example Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is far far superior on the Switch compared to the WiiU version - I actually compared them side by side recently when cleaning out my self storage unit before I gave a mate my WiiU all the games and accessories I had for it, and the controls are far far better too, even though the WiiU has the same buttons and number of them but in different positions to the Switch, for example drifting is much much easier and simplified on the Switch compared to the WiiU.  So I'm actually googling BOTW for the Switch, and specifically it's controls and how it's played, especially in hand held mode, I'm not a fan of playing the Switch through the TV, right now.
  • That section isn’t in BOTW. IIRC Wind Waker had a conducting music bit, and Twilight Princess & Skyward Sword both had motion controls, but BOTW doesn’t.

Its a fantastic game and the reduction in waggle nonsense is part of the appeal compared to the previous couple of entries 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30147
    BOTW had motion controls in some of the vault puzzles, but not for the vast majority of the game. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    That section isn’t in BOTW. IIRC Wind Waker had a conducting music bit, and Twilight Princess & Skyward Sword both had motion controls, but BOTW doesn’t.

Its a fantastic game and the reduction in waggle nonsense is part of the appeal compared to the previous couple of entries 
    Sporky said:
    BOTW had motion controls in some of the vault puzzles, but not for the vast majority of the game. 
    Yea this is what I remember too. I don't remember any of that. And if I remember the vault puzzles weren't fiddly or anything. 
  • Gave up on elden ring. Difficult curve was just so uncontrolled. I started steamrolling everything and found it boring. I think open world just isn't my kind of thing. A shame, because the game is so beautifully realised otherwise.

I have downloaded warzone 2. It's BUGGY AS HECK. As in, I don't think it was ready for release. Fun, and I like proximity chat. DMZ is good about 5 percent of the time as a solo player, when I'm matched with people who want to talk and work together. The rest of the time I'm matched with 12 year old kids who parachute into doom and then "rez me please, rez me, rez me". So that's not so good.

I like the feel though - it's more like modern warfare than black ops, so I am going to see if the full game hits a sale so I can play multiplayer. 
    Hmm that's a shame. I loved it but final boss was a killer for me. 
  • Hmm that's a shame. I loved it but final boss was a killer for me. 

It was just a bit repetitive. Something I didn't feel with ds1, ds3 or bloodborne. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hmm that's a shame. I loved it but final boss was a killer for me. 

It was just a bit repetitive. Something I didn't feel with ds1, ds3 or bloodborne. 
    I didn't feel that, I found it immersive and incredibly unique and diverse but we experience these things individually. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511
    Spent my day off on Friday playing Callisto Protocol; it got fairly negative reviews, but I find myself really sucked in to it.

Sure, the combat mechanics are a bit odd, but it certainly scratches that Dead Space itch.
    edited December 2022
    That section isn’t in BOTW. IIRC Wind Waker had a conducting music bit, and Twilight Princess & Skyward Sword both had motion controls, but BOTW doesn’t.

I think you mat be right about Wind Waker having that annoying conducing music bit, I picked up copies of BOTW and Super Mario Bros U Deluxe yesterday for myself and cousin.  Haven't tried BOTW yet, but Super Mario Bros U Deluxe again like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is available for both the WiiU and Switch, and there are huge differences between the WiiU version, and the Switch version - I also had this game for the WiiU but gave it away with the WiiU, accesories and games I had for it.

I must say that the Switch is a far far superior games console and especially hand held console compared to the disaster that was the WiiU.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511
    FarleyUK said:
    Spent my day off on Friday playing Callisto Protocol; it got fairly negative reviews, but I find myself really sucked in to it.

Sure, the combat mechanics are a bit odd, but it certainly scratches that Dead Space itch.
    Just at the final boss now, and have had to put the controller down and walk away. It's bloody ridiculous.
  • BOTW gets a huge thumbs down from my cousin, he managed to 100% the game in less than 2 days, though to be fair, he really likes his huge open world sandbox games, like No Mans Sky, which due to the hospital he's in being in a mobile dead zone, so he can't get any mobile reception for making or recieving calls, never ind mobile broadband.  So I've picked up Stranded Sails Explorers of the Cursed Islands and Immortals Fenyx Rising, to dop off for him when I visit him later today.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12320
    edited December 2022
    BOTW gets a huge thumbs down from my cousin, he managed to 100% the game in less than 2 days, though to be fair, he really likes his huge open world sandbox games, like No Mans Sky, which due to the hospital he's in being in a mobile dead zone, so he can't get any mobile reception for making or recieving calls, never ind mobile broadband.  So I've picked up Stranded Sails Explorers of the Cursed Islands and Immortals Fenyx Rising, to dop off for him when I visit him later today.
    100% are you sure? did you just take his word on it?

Did he collect all 900 Korok Seeds?
    Did he check his footsteps to make sure he went to every part of the map?
    Did he complete all 120 shrines and its puzzels?
    Did he do Master Mode?
    Did he finish the photo quest with all the photos?
    Did he get the white horse from Zelda?
    Did he do all the side quests?
    Did he figure out every recipes out there?

What he probably has done is did the 4 main dungeons and missed about 75% of the game.  You can in theory finish the game in about 30mins as well.

Being pedantic here, he beat the final boss but there is no chance he 100% it. There is not enough hours in 2 days to 100% the game, to TRULY 100% the game.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom