General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    ^ All of the above work for me, I just want a remote screen to play the PS5 when the living room's in-use without me moving the PS5 itself! :mrgreen: 
    You can do that on any tablet you probably already have and connect the PS5 controller you also have.

I don't know why I'd use the PS5 for media anyway (bluray/4k aside), as all of those features are already native on my tv.

For the same reason you'd want to stream your games, I guess. Someone else wants to watch something else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    edited November 2023
    You can do the same thing with your phone...which you will always have on you.  Get a backbone controller if you want physical controls.  Use your current earbuds.

If you want a larger screen, tether it with a tablet and carry a separate controller.  Which honestly would still take up less space than the PS portable.  

I mean to get this and use at home because your partner has taken up the main TV at home watching Eastenders and you want to continue your game..fine, still....using a tablet and grabbing your existing PS5 controller works too.  Don't see the appeal myself no matter how hard I want to justify it and I love buying gadgets.
    Yea it just seems completely pointless doesn't it. If it was a new Vita I'd be all over this. 
    edited November 2023
    The garden wall against Netflix/Youtube or streaming other devices just limits it's appeal massively, not able to use your own Bluetooth earbuds is a ridiculous one.  It is like it tries to shoot itself in both kneecaps before it is even launched
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ All of the above work for me, I just want a remote screen to play the PS5 when the living room's in-use without me moving the PS5 itself! :mrgreen: 
    You can do that on any tablet you probably already have and connect the PS5 controller you also have.

I don't know why I'd use the PS5 for media anyway (bluray/4k aside), as all of those features are already native on my tv.

For the same reason you'd want to stream your games, I guess. Someone else wants to watch something else.

The interface has always been horrible on those apps though, but admittedly I haven't tried it on my PS5 - just the PS4 Pro beforehand. A couple of friends have bought the backbone controllers but never recommended them, apparently they were prone to lag and all-sorts, though I imagine similar issues could well occur with the Portal if their infrastructure's the actual problem.

We've got other TVs around the house, but I leave the PS5 setup in the lounge on the main one as it's a bit plush.
    ^ All of the above work for me, I just want a remote screen to play the PS5 when the living room's in-use without me moving the PS5 itself! :mrgreen: 

The interface has always been horrible on those apps though, but admittedly I haven't tried it on my PS5 - just the PS4 Pro beforehand. A couple of friends have bought the backbone controllers but never recommended them, apparently they were prone to lag and all-sorts, though I imagine similar issues could well occur with the Portal if their infrastructure's the actual problem.

We've got other TVs around the house, but I leave the PS5 setup in the lounge on the main one as it's a bit plush.
    Apparently the lag on this thing is worse than the phone with the app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG8A4yrS7EY
  • DefaultM said:
    Am I understanding PS Portal right, in that there's no Bluetooth so if you want sound you need to buy Sony Pulse Earbuds that are £200?
    Wait - I missed this, I'm out - how ridiculous!
    edited November 2023
    DefaultM said:
    Am I understanding PS Portal right, in that there's no Bluetooth so if you want sound you need to buy Sony Pulse Earbuds that are £200?
    Yea it's a bit bad isn't it.

Have you tried Remote Play on anything before? If you're expecting a seamless experience you may be disappointed in any case. 

It requires a good WiFi connection with a good speed, and even then you get sound and visual issues where the resolution drops significantly at times. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Anyone had/have a Switch AND Switch lite in the household and can tell me if there's a huge difference between the two in terms of handheld play? 

Ultimately, I'm wondering whether I wait for the "Switch 2" to come out sometime mid-next year but get a second hand lite to tide me over. Rather than spend big on an OLED now, when the Switch is "old" technology. 

I will mainly be using for playing Zelda and wanting to access some of the N64 classics (Mario, Ocarina of Time etc) via the Ninendo Life stuff.

I can't think if/when I would use it docked in the short term. 

Thoughts/opinions please. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 30130
    edited November 2023
    We have both. No noticeable difference, except that the Lite is much lighter and thus a better handheld if you're playing for a while. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    We have both. No noticeable difference, except that the Lite is much lighter and thus a better handheld if you're playing for a while. 
    Sold. 

Just need to find one second hand that's not silly money. 
    Do you want mine for a million pounds? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ah, sorry - I missed the "not". 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    With that in mind, if anyone's selling their lite, please consider me :) 
  • @joneve just remember with the Switch Lite if you have any stick drift issues it won't be as simple a fix as replacing the joycon.
  • DefaultM said:
    Yea it's a bit bad isn't it.

Have you tried Remote Play on anything before? If you're expecting a seamless experience you may be disappointed in any case. 

It requires a good WiFi connection with a good speed, and even then you get sound and visual issues where the resolution drops significantly at times. 

Yup, mixed results but on different connections. My setup now should be bloody stable though and easily more than enough to be a non-issue, assuming no fundamental flaws with the hardware itself etc. that can’t be resolved through firmware updates.

At least the Portal’s got a 3.5mm jack - I use wired on-ear headphones with the PS5 already sometimes so that’s not actually a change for me. I’ll hang on a bit though and let the stock return and day 1 bugs get sorted out :mrgreen:
    @joneve just remember with the Switch Lite if you have any stick drift issues it won't be as simple a fix as replacing the joycon.
    Good to know, cheers. as I said, it's only to tide me over to save me from forking out a chunk now and another chunk when the Mk2 is released. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    Have I messed up? I signed in to my wife's Nintendo account on my switch cos I figured I could play the games she's bought. It said that I was permanently linking mine and her profiles or something like that, I downloaded the games but it says I'm not allowed. Now I seem to be stuck on my wife's profile without the benefit of being able to play her games?
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2250
    edited December 2023
    I got a portal and it’s great! 

I think people are missing the point with this. I use it in my home office when I have some time between calls. Can also use it if someone else is using the TV. 

Having a full size and fully functional dual sense beats the Backbone hands down. I had the Backbone and thought it was absolutely crap. The screen is a great size too and much better than playing on a phone. The other thing to remember is the Backbone is £100 and this is only £99 more. In that context, it’s a bargain! 

Where this will come in to it’s own is when game streaming is enabled. I think Sony see the future won’t be HW anymore and streaming will overtake. To be able to stream and play a PS5 game from anywhere with a decent internet connection, beats a standalone handheld console playing PS3 level games IMO. One that can do both is obviously better, but then you’re talking £500+ and a less portable device. 

With regards to lag, it is purely down to your home network. I have my PS5 hard wired to my router and have a >500mbps WiFi 6 mesh network. There is no lag at all. If however you’re running this off your crappy BT router from 3yrs ago and have 20+ devices connected, you should expect lag. 

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. Not that you can, as they’ve sold out anyway. 

edited December 2023
    How's the stream quality?