General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8475
    Nintendo publisher games almost reach full RRP on the used market. 

You can buy Pokemon Violet (excelent game btw) for £39 new. 

Used ones on eBay sell for near enough the same money (once is postage factored in). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30129
    Yesterday I went through a load of games.

Jusant - nice idea (if overbearingly derivative), but the controls are clunky, which ruins any climbing game.

Rollerdrome - pretty, and another nice idea, but thin and uninteresting

Frog Detective - fantastic. Short, silly, brilliant. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1655
    joneve said:
    2025 FFS. 

Oh well, gives me enough time to save the pennies for a PS5. 

In other news - looking promising that I've bagged a used Switch lite for £75 from a local-ish chap. Pick up tomorrow. Was a bit shocked to see that BOTW is still mega expensive to buy. Seems switch games don't lose their value like PS and Xbox games. for fucksake :D 
    Glad you sorted
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    nero1701 said:
    joneve said:
    2025 FFS. 

In other news - looking promising that I've bagged a used Switch lite for £75 from a local-ish chap. Pick up tomorrow. Was a bit shocked to see that BOTW is still mega expensive to buy. Seems switch games don't lose their value like PS and Xbox games. for fucksake :D 
    Glad you sorted
    Well, let's not count my chickens until I have it in my hand. Facebook marketplace is a weird place 
  • I'm just going to leave this here.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Switch lite acquired. £75 for it too. 

I've done a 7 day free trial of Nintendo Life, but suspect I'll just pay the £35 a year to access the N64 games. 

Any game recommendations, please send my way (Obviously I'll be getting both Zelda games)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    edited December 2023
    The problem with the Zelda games is that they're great but I found them very samey. I didn't finish TOTK but it's still great. 

But yea, Mario Kart, Metroid Dread and Prime Remastered, Mario Odyssey/Wonder, Super Mario Maker 2, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Stardew Valley, Witcher 3, Skyrim are all good fun! 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    joneve said:
    2025 FFS. 

I saw a copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii U in CEX for £70 the other day!
    CEX are terrible. Trade in prices almost nothing but they sell second hand for almost the same or more than new prices.
    My wife used to work at Gamestation, workers from CEX would come in and buy up new games, then sell them for more than new price. When people complained they'd say "well there's none left at Gamestation".
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultM said:
    joneve said:
    2025 FFS. 

I saw a copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii U in CEX for £70 the other day!
    CEX are terrible. Trade in prices almost nothing but they sell second hand for almost the same or more than new prices.
    My wife used to work at Gamestation, workers from CEX would come in and buy up new games, then sell them for more than new price. When people complained they'd say "well there's none left at Gamestation".

Gamestation - I'm sure a local town to me had one in the 90s and 2000s.

Every Saturday morning I'd go. Almost every Saturday I'd be disappointed as the shop was very rarely open! The chap who ran it would sleep in, often opening only early afternoon and often not opening at all. Loved that place when it did open though. I think it's an oxfam now. 
    Do you remember Electronics Boutique?
  • Gamestation was great until every store got filled to the gills with rubbish Wii games and hardly anything else. But it was better than Game. I remember EB fondly, though it's pretty hazy these days as must be 25 years ago! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I played Superliminal the other night on PS+. Very good in a sort of cross between Stanley Parable and Viewfinder kinda way. 

Not too difficult but quite interesting. Apart from the bit where I made myself really really small to go through the gap under a door because I thought that was the answer but it took ages and really wasn't the answer. Anyhoo..! 
    Superliminal was brilliant. I really enjoyed it.

If you haven't already, try Antichamber.
  • DefaultM said:
    Do you remember Electronics Boutique?

It still exists. EB bought Game and then decided to rebrand as the company it took over.

I worked for EB for a few years in the late 90s. 

• I also worked a Saturday job at EB when I was 16...got some good swag.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited December 2023
    I used to go in and play Donkey Kong Country on the SNES. They had the console sealed in a perspex cage and the controllers came out of it on these springy arms.
    edited December 2023
    I think in maybe 1995 my parents got me a camera, so I did a photo album. 
    I was sure that I had a photo of EB in there so I went to get it, but it wasn't. It was 'Future Zone Game Centre'. This then turned in to EB. The shop above is Argos. I used to go in there and play the Sega Saturn I think.

https://i.postimg.cc/RVFBbtR1/20231208-174354.jpg

Bonus painting of Mr Satan, Majinbuu and Puppy from Dragon Ball Z that my wife did for me.
  • Sporky said:
    Superliminal was brilliant. I really enjoyed it.

If you haven't already, try Antichamber.
    That's also on my list but never came to consoles afaik? And won't run on a newish Mac :( 

It's worth buying a PC for.

Maybe. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Recently paid I think £5 to upgrade my PS Plus to the top tier for the remainder of my subscription.
    It gives you the PS1/PS2 games and stuff like that. Is it just me or are they really difficult to play or even see what's going on? I know that going from the latest Oddworld game to Abe's Exodus is going to be a stark contrast, but I'm sure it didn't look this bad. It's like it's stretched it and it's gone blurry.

I can't see me renewing PS Plus next year. When you could get it for £35 it was a no brainer, but now they've split it all up I think they've got a bit greedy. The monthly games have been  pretty bad as well.