General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28679
    edited December 2023
    DefaultM said:
    Recently paid I think £5 to upgrade my PS Plus to the top tier for the remainder of my subscription.
    It gives you the PS1/PS2 games and stuff like that. Is it just me or are they really difficult to play or even see what's going on? I know that going from the latest Oddworld game to Abe's Exodus is going to be a stark contrast, but I'm sure it didn't look this bad. It's like it's stretched it and it's gone blurry.

I can't see me renewing PS Plus next year. When you could get it for £35 it was a no brainer, but now they've split it all up I think they've got a bit greedy. The monthly games have been  pretty bad as well.
    On the old game question, part of it is that PS1-and-earlier stuff was designed for CRT screens, and the clever stuff they did back then to make them look good on CRTs doesn't translate to modern LCDs. Good vid below

On the PS+ thing, I'm inclined to agree. I have a couple of things I want to try on Extra but think I'm going to turn off the auto renewal and see if it bothers me when the time comes. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqmAxs9QlSE 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • On controls for ps1 games, I remember the day I got my ps2. It came with Red Faction, an fps game. It required the use of analogue sticks - and that took me weeks to adjust to. Prior, all games including fps games on ps1 were played with the d-pad and were designed with that in mind probably. 

So there is a bit of unlearning to do. I still like syphon filter, mgs. 

Ape escape was another early adopter of forced stick use! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    edited December 2023
    The last game I completed was Oddworld New and Tasty which I loved, but then 3 nights this week I've spent at least 30 minutes going through it all trying and failing to find something to play that I like.

The free monthly games have been stuff like Farming Simulator, which I'm sure is very fun for some people, but I'd think the majority of people aren't fussed for things like that.
    On controls for ps1 games, I remember the day I got my ps2. It came with Red Faction, an fps game. It required the use of analogue sticks - and that took me weeks to adjust to. Prior, all games including fps games on ps1 were played with the d-pad and were designed with that in mind probably. 

I haven't checked if the MGS 1-4 games are on there actually, if they are I'd have a go on those again.
  • DefaultM said:
    Recently paid I think £5 to upgrade my PS Plus to the top tier for the remainder of my subscription.
    It gives you the PS1/PS2 games and stuff like that. Is it just me or are they really difficult to play or even see what's going on? I know that going from the latest Oddworld game to Abe's Exodus is going to be a stark contrast, but I'm sure it didn't look this bad. It's like it's stretched it and it's gone blurry.

I can't see me renewing PS Plus next year. When you could get it for £35 it was a no brainer, but now they've split it all up I think they've got a bit greedy. The monthly games have been  pretty bad as well.
    From someone who still has PS1 let me tell you they do look bad. It's okay on a CRT but on a 43" + modern TV no.

This is why I use Duckstation on PC and upscale to at least 1080p. Playing old PS1 games buttery smooth and looking gorgeous is awesome.
    DefaultM said:
    On controls for ps1 games, I remember the day I got my ps2. It came with Red Faction, an fps game. It required the use of analogue sticks - and that took me weeks to adjust to. Prior, all games including fps games on ps1 were played with the d-pad and were designed with that in mind probably. 

I haven't checked if the MGS 1-4 games are on there actually, if they are I'd have a go on those again.
    £49.99 and from seeing the graphics on the previews, playing MGS 1 again now would ruin my childhood.
    DefaultM said:

From someone who still has PS1 let me tell you they do look bad. It's okay on a CRT but on a 43" + modern TV no.

This is why I use Duckstation on PC and upscale to at least 1080p. Playing old PS1 games buttery smooth and looking gorgeous is awesome.
    Do you know why, because I feel like SNES games still look good. Donkey Kong Country didn't seem to do it when I last played it, though I can't remember the size tv I played on.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30129
    I am on Supraland Crash.

It is every bit as good as the original and Six Inches Under. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • DefaultM said:
    DefaultM said:

Do you know why, because I feel like SNES games still look good. Donkey Kong Country didn't seem to do it when I last played it, though I can't remember the size tv I played on.
    I don't. Maybe sprites Vs polygons?? The early era of 3D gaming??

I feel the same tho when I have 8 bit and 16 bit consoles hooked up to large TV, they look good but PS and N64 do not, surprisingly OG Xbox still looks okay.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Anyone know how often they update the switch expansion packs for the n64/nes/snes games? Currently enjoying playing through Mario 64 again and will likely do Banjo Kazooie at some point as well. 
  • joneve said:
    Anyone know how often they update the switch expansion packs for the n64/nes/snes games? Currently enjoying playing through Mario 64 again and will likely do Banjo Kazooie at some point as well. 
    They've generally added games every quarter or so since it launched, though I suspect they're running out of games to add. My understanding is pretty much everything for NES and SNES that can be made available is now available. 

They just added 1080 Snowboarding and Jet Force Gemini for N64, both of which I adored 1999-ish, so that's got me tempted to upgrade to have a go on those :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2510
    I am loving WH40k: Rogue Trader. As a massive 40k nerd - and someone who's recently got into deep RPGs - this scratches both itches.
  • FarleyUK said:
    I am loving WH40k: Rogue Trader. As a massive 40k nerd - and someone who's recently got into deep RPGs - this scratches both itches.
    Oh not heard about that one..might have to check it out. Wasn't that impressed with whatever that xcom with terminators one was.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Who’s played that RoboCop game then? It might well be my next reasonably-new purchase
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    joneve said:
    They've generally added games every quarter or so since it launched, though I suspect they're running out of games to add. My understanding is pretty much everything for NES and SNES that can be made available is now available. 

They just added 1080 Snowboarding and Jet Force Gemini for N64, both of which I adored 1999-ish, so that's got me tempted to upgrade to have a go on those :)
    Perfect Dark is really all I want haha. The Thq wrestling games would be great too but won’t happen. There are some really good titles on there to be fair. Forgot how nails Mario 64 is in places 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30129
    I started Red Dead Redemption 2.

Ye gods it's slow. Two hours in and I'm wondering when the game begins. Twenty seconds of following a horse, then a cutscene, then twenty seconds of following a horse. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1655
    Sporky said:

Ye gods it's slow. Two hours in and I'm wondering when the game begins. Twenty seconds of following a horse, then a cutscene, then twenty seconds of following a horse. 
    But, man, once you get going, it really is fantastic, I was emotionally attached to the characters

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:

Weirdly enough I just restarted that yesterday as I couldn’t remember a damned thing about where I was in the story!
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    edited December 2023
    That's so weird I also restarted RDR2 again this week. It just be the GTA 6 announcement that's got us playing Rockstar games again. 

I also thought it was slower than I remember but yea, it is incredible even how many years later.