General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Just started Baldurs gate 3. The intro was pretty fun but seems a bit incongruous to then be dumped at lvl1.

Also I've found I can't be fucked talking to everyone and their granny to see if they are important any more. My play time is extremely limited so I want quest give icons ideally.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10578
    edited December 2023
    Just started Baldurs gate 3. The intro was pretty fun but seems a bit incongruous to then be dumped at lvl1.

Also I've found I can't be fucked talking to everyone and their granny to see if they are important any more. My play time is extremely limited so I want quest give icons ideally.

Unfortunately the game isn't really that. You do have to talk to everyone and everything and really spend a lot of time figuring quests out. The game doesn't tell you how to do anything and will give you zero help, but you have to approach interactions and combat with the idea that if you think it can work, it probably will. The battles can take ages too. We done a whole double crossing quest where we talked to everyone and made a decision and then later on we had to have a fight with them and it's like a 40 minute fight and we just got slaughtered every time. We thought it was just a matter of picking a side, but no you have to do loads of other stuff but the game doesn't tell you so how the fuck do you know? I have like 10 examples like this lol 

Save often, and have multiple saves. Tbh, I think this game is beyond me. I don't know how you can figure the scenarios out without googling them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  •  
    Local charity shop find today, the world's most advanced chess computer :lol: 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  •  
    Local charity shop find today, the world's most advanced chess computer :lol: 

In the year of our lord 1326 maybe.
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 351
    I’m thinking about getting an Xbox Series X. I won’t consider a console without a disc drive and the PS5 is too ugly for my TV unit. But I’m finding it hard to find games that I’m interested in. Starfield looks ok, but other than that I’m only seeing Dead Space (which I’ve played before on 360) that really looks fun. There are a few other games I’d like to play but they’re all on the old generation (GTAV, Doom Eternal mainly). 

Callisto Protocol looks ok, but like dead space rehashed and made more violent without reason. Alan Wake 2 looks good and I enjoyed the first, there’s a dinosaur game that I can’t remember the name of that looks like Alien Isolation (best game of the previous generation in my opinion) but with dinosaurs. Resident evil 8 will be fun too since I liked 7. Cyberpunk isn’t rubbish these days I hear? 

Typing this out now looks like a lot, but all the “current” games look OK and the ones I actually want to play are from the old consoles. Am I missing anything? 
    edited December 2023
    PLOP said:
    I’m thinking about getting an Xbox Series X. I won’t consider a console without a disc drive and the PS5 is too ugly for my TV unit. But I’m finding it hard to find games that I’m interested in. Starfield looks ok, but other than that I’m only seeing Dead Space (which I’ve played before on 360) that really looks fun. There are a few other games I’d like to play but they’re all on the old generation (GTAV, Doom Eternal mainly). 

Callisto Protocol looks ok, but like dead space rehashed and made more violent without reason. Alan Wake 2 looks good and I enjoyed the first, there’s a dinosaur game that I can’t remember the name of that looks like Alien Isolation (best game of the previous generation in my opinion) but with dinosaurs. Resident evil 8 will be fun too since I liked 7. Cyberpunk isn’t rubbish these days I hear? 

Typing this out now looks like a lot, but all the “current” games look OK and the ones I actually want to play are from the old consoles. Am I missing anything? 
    Yea, it's really the PS5 > Xbox right now. I have both and rarely play the Xbox. I wouldn't choose one based on what it looks like under my TV, it's only a console.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30125
    I'm the other way around - the PS5 doesn't get much use.

Definitely buy the console with the games you want to play. You can always hide it. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    I've just bought a PS5 it is ugly and massive but there is a new one that's slightly smaller.

It is silent though which is a massive improvement and it's tucked in my entertainment unit so it's not a big problem.

The Xbox vents out of the top so that would be more of an issue for me.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30125
    I had to machine ventilation holes in the door of my telly cabinet for the Xbox. Even that wasn't enough, so I added a thermostatically controlled mains plug driving a pair of PC fans. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Yeah, you'd be nuts to buy a console based on looks rather than what games you want to play. 

Also don't overlook Nintendo, as that has the most fun games :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • PLOP said:

I've just bought a PS5 it is ugly and massive but there is a new one that's slightly smaller.

It is silent though which is a massive improvement and it's tucked in my entertainment unit so it's not a big problem.

The Xbox vents out of the top so that would be more of an issue for me.

There's no denying that the PS5 is one really really fugly looking thing, especially given that it's not just white but bright white, you can if it really bothers you get after market replacement covers both official ones from Sony, as well as the various ones made by 3rd parties that can include LED lighting, extra cooling, and even slightly alter the shape of the console slightly, and you can get them from about £20 upwards, obviously the official Sony ones cost more.
  • PLOP said:

GTAV was terrible on the XBox One, frame rates were too low.  The series X makes it a far better game, even if you don’t bother with the Series X version.  Plus the loading times and resume function make it worthwhile in addition to the games.  Gamepass is great as well, you can try games you otherwise wouldn’t, I’ve stumbled upon many good games I would not have bothered with if it wasn’t for gamepass.

Also don't overlook Nintendo, as that has the most fun games :)

I agree, but might be worth waiting a bit as an updated console should come out in 2024.

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    edited December 2023
    Got my son the five nights at Freddys ps5 game for Christmas. He's never used a disc game the 2 years he's had it, they've all been download, and it turns out his disc drive doesn't actually work.
    Loads of people on reddit saying there was a bad batch of them. I'm not even done paying it off on PayPal yet, I set it to 3 years interest free so I'm not impressed.
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 351
    I’m not avoiding the PS5 because of its looks, but I saw one in person in CEX and it’s also way bigger than I expected it to be. For comparison of games, the only PS exclusive I like is The Last of Us, and I’ve played those already on PS4. I’m not interested in God of War or Horizon etc. Plus, the Xbox controller is far superior to me, and I used the PS4 tons more than the X1 last gen. 

Starfield, Alan Wake, a potentially new Max Payne, (since MS owns Remedy now) plus the better controller lean my opinion into Xbox much easier personally. I saw whisperings of a new MGS game too, but I’m not holding my breath for that. 

My girlfriend has a switch already, nothing I’ve seen catches my attention there at all. 
    edited December 2023
    DefaultM said:
    Got my son the five nights at Freddys ps5 game for Christmas. He's never used a disc game the 2 years he's had it, they've all been download, and it turns out his disc drive doesn't actually work.
    Loads of people on reddit saying there was a bad batch of them. I'm not even done paying it off on PayPal yet, I set it to 3 years interest free so I'm not impressed.
    Is there a recall on them? You could still go back to the shop and explain. Maybe they'd do something.

The Consumer Rights Act states that you have 6 years to report a fault and this is definitely a fault so I'd use one of the online forms at submit a claim to them.

I managed to get a faulty Xbox 360, TV, toaster replaced using the Sales of Goods Act (precursor to the consumer rights act) so definitely pester them to replace it and start getting legal. You've nothing to lose. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    I didn't know that thanks I thought you got 12 months.
  • PLOP said:
    I’m not avoiding the PS5 because of its looks, but I saw one in person in CEX and it’s also way bigger than I expected it to be. For comparison of games, the only PS exclusive I like is The Last of Us, and I’ve played those already on PS4. I’m not interested in God of War or Horizon etc. Plus, the Xbox controller is far superior to me, and I used the PS4 tons more than the X1 last gen. 

Starfield, Alan Wake, a potentially new Max Payne, (since MS owns Remedy now) plus the better controller lean my opinion into Xbox much easier personally. I saw whisperings of a new MGS game too, but I’m not holding my breath for that. 

My girlfriend has a switch already, nothing I’ve seen catches my attention there at all. 

The releases for the latest gen of consoles to date have been rather underwhelming in my opinion.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8475
    PLOP said:

I loved Dead Space in the PS3. 

I quit the remastered Xbox version, they meddled with it, and somehow sucked a lot of the joy out of it.  I just got fed up with it. 

Aldo started Callisto Protocol. Quit after two hours.  Just pants. 

Get the PS5!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    The new PS5 slim is actually smaller. If the size matters to be this solves it.
  • I rarely use my PS5. Only for GT7.

Everything else is on my Series X and PC.

I really wish the PS5 slim had taken the opportunity to just make it a sensible rectangle that doesn't need a stand.