General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    Finished Ghost of Tsushima including all the non-multiplayer trophies. Absolutely loved every minute of it - absolutely my favourite game of the generation 

Next up was The Last Campfire, which I was playing as a bit of light relief before diving into TLOU2. I wasn't expecting a treatise on hope and depression and the meaning of life. Really good though.

The Last of Us 2 is next up... So far I've killed about 4 zombies.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Finished Ghost of Tsushima including all the non-multiplayer trophies. Absolutely loved every minute of it - absolutely my favourite game of the generation 

Next up was The Last Campfire, which I was playing as a bit of light relief before diving into TLOU2. I wasn't expecting a treatise on hope and depression and the meaning of life. Really good though.

I finally finished TLOU1 yesterday. Incredible game and story. Can’t wait to do 2. Just waiting for my mate to complete it and he’s going to lend me his copy. 

I’m still addicted to Fortnite FFS. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I enjoyed Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Couldn't tell you what happened though really. Lots of silly plot twists and macguffins.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • westfordwestford Frets: 580
    I’m playing TLOU2 now, struggling to get used to the controls and weapon inventory and keep getting myself killed as a result, but really enjoying it otherwise.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    I got a much faster PC recently that my brother built with the best gaming hardware he could afford (works great for processor demanding plugins too). Remembered I had a Steam account which had a few games on it. 

So for the past two weeks I've been playing GTA: San Andreas. It's a bit clunky compared to todays offerings but it's still as enjoyable as it was all those years ago. 
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    westford said:
    I’m playing TLOU2 now, struggling to get used to the controls and weapon inventory and keep getting myself killed as a result, but really enjoying it otherwise.
    The controls do feel sluggish, not sure if it is on purpose to make the encounters more intense.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    I'm playing Doom Eternal at the moment. The platforming bits aren't great tbh, feels a bit clunky, but the combat is intense as you'd hope. Not sure it's better than Doom 2016 though, some ideas are good but half-baked (runes and shards in particular, and the majority of the suit upgrades are pointless). The mini-rockets aren't as overpowered as they were in Doom 2016 though which is probably a good thing.

Before that it I played Control and the DLC episodes. Initially thought the expansions wern't great, but changing my build a bit fixed that. 

Next to play will probably be Alan Wake, didn't pick it up first time round.

Hades is great, I actually preferred Transistor to Bastion.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    IMC1980 said:
    westford said:
    The controls do feel sluggish, not sure if it is on purpose to make the encounters more intense.
    I hate sluggish controls. I actually gave up on Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze on Switch as it was like wading through treacle the controls were so unresponsive. For a platformer it was unforgivably bad.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    IMC1980 said:
    westford said:
    I didn't find that. I found it smooth and natural. 

You want clunky, play the Witcher 3 today. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413

Last Campfire is so lovely - I only get to play along with my stepdaughter on the Apple TV and she’s not been on it for a bit - need to pester her! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • strtdv said:
    I'm playing Doom Eternal at the moment. The platforming bits aren't great tbh, feels a bit clunky, but the combat is intense as you'd hope. Not sure it's better than Doom 2016 though, some ideas are good but half-baked (runes and shards in particular, and the majority of the suit upgrades are pointless). The mini-rockets aren't as overpowered as they were in Doom 2016 though which is probably a good thing.

Before that it I played Control and the DLC episodes. Initially thought the expansions wern't great, but changing my build a bit fixed that. 

Next to play will probably be Alan Wake, didn't pick it up first time round.

Hades is great, I actually preferred Transistor to Bastion.
    Transistor is also great, Bastion just nudges it for me.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431

Played the shit out of The Last of Us 2 back when it was released, I thoroughly enjoyed it though at times it did feel like a bit of a slog but I think I was clocking in like 6-8hr days on it.  Keep on meaning to go back to it and 100% it.  I really really want to play Ghost of Tsushima but I'm tempted to just wait until I can actually source a PS5 and try it then, I have a 4K telly but do not have a 4K capable Playstation.

Last game I finished was probably Until Dawn, I really enjoyed that.  I was gonna deep dive in to Cyberpunk 2077 but as it's an absolute goddam mess on base consoles again I'm waiting for the PS5.

I just fired up Cat Quest today and I'm having a blast playing it, I'm enjoying it much more than I thought I would!
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    edited January 2021
    Tsushima is great 4k or not. Cyberpunk is considerably better than it was at launch but still far from perfect.
  • ennspek said:
    Cyberpunk is considerably better than it was at launch but still far from perfect.
    Very far as far as I’m concerned - and that’s ignoring the occasional crash. The story’s good, but the world-building is disappointingly empty and flat so far (~25-30 hours in). There’s surprisingly little that you can genuinely interact with beyond a “f*ck off” retort, the driving mechanics are god-awful, and the gameplay itself is nothing ground-breaking.

I’m really hoping that the upcoming patched and fixes are able to improve things significantly, because so far I’m wishing I’d spent the money on the new Spider-Man game instead!

4/10 as of v1.06 on PS4 Pro
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    I returned Cyberpunk and got a refund. It had the content of a pre GTA V open world game. It was all aesthetic, no actual content with a great looking city but samey side quest after samey side quest with no real aim to it. Personally, I don't think that can be fixed in a patch. It's poor game design. 
  • I returned Cyberpunk and got a refund. It had the content of a pre GTA V open world game. It was all aesthetic, no actual content with a great looking city but samey side quest after samey side quest with no real aim to it. Personally, I don't think that can be fixed in a patch. It's poor game design. 
    It's a shame, the tabletop is fantastic. 
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I was really looking forward to CP2077 and pre-ordered it months back. I put it under the tree for Christmas so hasn’t even installed it until late on Christmas Day. I’d watched lots of reviews etc on the problems but decided not to return it even though it was still sealed. I played it for maybe 2hrs on Boxing Day and an hour the next day, but I’ve not played it since. I’m not sure why... it’s not the glitches as I didn’t really notice any, I just don’t fancy playing it. The Series X update isn’t due now until Q3/4 2021 now either. Feels like a bit of a waste of money at the moment. :(

Lots of positive reviews too saying they still enjoyed it, but it seems to have fallen well short of what we’d all hoped, even if it runs perfectly fine.
  • I bought borderlands 3 on sale as I liked borderlands 2.

It's not as good. Feels much easier, and the drop rate seems super high. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    edited January 2021
    The more you play Cyberpunk 2077 the more you realise it isn't that deep as it appears.

I am more than 120hrs into it and I would say if you just concentrate on the main story, so just a couple of the side quests and don't dig too deep.  The game looks great, in fact it looks so good I often stop and look around the city. The design of the buildings, the detail in all the artwork on the graffiti, the gangs, the clothing, the cars, the tattoos, the  I have never used photo mode so much in any game.  The story I am actually finding really interesting and I like the voice work on the characters, I even like Keanu in it.  You will have a great time if you don't dig too deep.  

The game mechanics too I am finding really good.  I like the crafting system, the skill tree and the hacking (which is essentially magic element), they all feedback into each other and there are many ways you can take down someone.

But then after a while you realise apart from the graphic and the voicework and appearance, scratch deeper it is missing a lot of things.  For example the NPCs are dumber than those in GTA 5.  In GTA 5 they come out and fight you, they would shoot you if they had a gun, or they would drive away or even run away.  They don't do it in this.  You can stand there and hit the car repeatedly and they stay inside the car.  They get out when it catches fire but crouch next to the car until it blows up.  Then there is the police, stupid stupid police.  The system at play here don't make much sense.  The way they magically appear on screen instead of cars arriving or those flying cars arriving like in the prologue.  That would be cool.  They also do not chase you or set up roadblocks, again, GTA 5 does this much better.  Which means you don't get to have fun with them.

The dialogues too of the NPC is also just mere one liners, it is no more further than an RPG on the SNES.  It's a pre-programmed scripted line for all of them.  

The shops too, or the lack of them.  Sure there is the Ripperdoc, clothing and armour, and Joy toy.  Joy toy is a waste of time, it's a novelty concept that doesn't even do anything, no player control element to it at all, at least in GTA 5 you get to "move your hands" in the strip club.  Then there are these so call restaurants around the city, what are they exactly except a store front for a menu screen? There are no animation of the chef cooking food, or you sitting down to enjoy a meal.  They build a city, they design a whole shop, design the interior, put seats in, put NPCs in, you go up and the NPC offers you a menu to buy items.  The vending machines offers a better interaction in terms of purchases.

The cloth shopping, why can't I see what a particular item looks on my character before i buy it? why do I have to by it first? Again, GTA5 does this better.  Honestly, buying something is like the in game menu of Final Fantasy 7 on the PS1, it is not much different than that.

There are also no mini games, there are just side quests and once you are done, there isn't anything to do.  You can't play the arcade gaming machines in the world and I think the rollercoaster is the only thing you get to go on more than once?

I also find once you level up, you are just way too over powered against everything.  It is clear there hasn't been enough time to test how the game scales to your character levelling.  I am pretty much a walking terminator at this point.  Seriously I deliberately now wear clothing that looks good rather for armour to make the game harder.  I one hit kill everything with a dildo.  If I actually want to shoot people with my Tech Pistol, which shoot throughs walls...which has explosive rounds that makes other NPC close by explodes...I can clear a room in a couple of shots.  I don't even need to do a headshot because hitting them in the leg will cause their head to explode with the arms fly off too.  Just a pair of glasses and shoes and completely naked will get me about 2000 armour and I have 800 + health with auto regen and also 2nd heart that if i die, it get up again with 100% health. 

After all that, I haven't even mention any of the gaming bugs yet or crashes or glitches.  Most of the things above would be hard to fix from patches. It's not just the bugs, I don't care about them as I have played 120hrs with them, but the depth and stupidity of some of the decisions or lack of decisions is what stops this game to be what it wanted to be.

The short version is that this is a game with in game menu and depth of a game from SNES era but the look of 2020, throw in a lot of bugs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ Exactly this :(