General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    Sporky said:
    I gave up 9n Tears Of The Kingdom at the first save point because my Pro Controller WON'T STOP FUCKING CREAKING. Both joysticks. Every tiniest move, CREAK. Even after PFTE spray. 

I was very grown up though and didn't take the sledgehammer to it. 
    i like the ergonomics of the pro controller but mine also creaks. i prefer using 8bitdo and hori pads.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28674
    I don't know if I got lucky or if they built them a bit worse after some point, but my 2017 Pro Controller has been flawless. Unlike half my joycons and one PS5 pad, all of which have stick drift... 

I do hope they make them just a smidge better quality for the Switch 2

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30114
    I have a new Pro Controller, and Tears Of The Kingdom is very good thus far. :) 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    I have one of these as my 2nd controller for the switch.  Hall effect so no drift.  It is compatible for all the consoles as it has a Wifi Dongle if needed.  Or use built in Bluetooth.  The dock is neat so there is a place for the controller all the time.  Cheaper than the Official Nintendo one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B9BDMWWN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525
    I have one of these as my 2nd controller for the switch.  Hall effect so no drift.  It is compatible for all the consoles as it has a Wifi Dongle if needed.  Or use built in Bluetooth.  The dock is neat so there is a place for the controller all the time.  Cheaper than the Official Nintendo one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B9BDMWWN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
    I got on of those to replace an Xbox controller for my PC that kept disconnecting (turns out it was likely due to USB 3 interference).  Very happy with the 8bitdo controller and having the dock to charge it in is handy.  
  • RedRabbit said:

I got on of those to replace an Xbox controller for my PC that kept disconnecting (turns out it was likely due to USB 3 interference).  Very happy with the 8bitdo controller and having the dock to charge it in is handy.  
    I use the same, great controller.

I have a few 8bitdo controllers, all very good.
    I finished Starcom Nexus. Really enjoyable. 
    And started Viewfinder.

It's probably a good game (in a blatant Superliminal rip-off sort of way), but the narrator is possibly the most annoying person I've ever heard.
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 190
    Sporky said:
    I finished Starcom Nexus. Really enjoyable. 
    I loved it too. I'm currently working my way through the sequel Starcom Unknown Space. There's aspects to it that aren't as hand holding as other games and requires you to decipher some of the information recorded in your crew's logs which can be a struggle at times but rewarding when you know you need to pay attention to the information and start to piece bits together.

Difficulty is pitched about right once again and allows for variation via the ship building mechanic.
    Unknown Space is on my list.

My ship at the end was basically reactors and plasma cannons. 
  • Random one for some of you gamers. Does anyone know if it is still possible to acquire the installers for direct2drive games? It seems that direct2drive has gone through 2 acquisitions and support are giving me the runaround (gamefly).

I still have the serial but not way of installing. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1141
    Shut up and take my money!

£699 November 7th release

PS5 Pro tech presentation...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28674
    wibble said:
    Shut up and take my money!

£699 November 7th release

PS5 Pro tech presentation...

No disc drive - that’s another 80. No improved Dualsense in the box. No vertical stand in the box. 

No new games, just the same remasters and sequels as already on PS4 & PS5 with slightly better resolution and frame rates. 

I don’t want to be negative, but this feels like a bad joke. I’m getting 32X/Sega CD vibes…
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    Pointless update.  In fact, mid gen refresh generally are pointless.  Since all developers are required to code for the base console anyway, meaning it is going to be held back by the original PS5.  

From Sony’s perspective, I don’t really understand it either, these things are not really profit making machines, they often are sold at a lost, so they are trying to capture people to get into the ecosystem mid cycle who never got the original one?  

Save the £700 towards PS6 instead. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18300
    tFB Trader
    I have no interest in it but regardless of that I think it’s a good move for Sony as Microsoft are unlikely to follow due to the lack of traction on XBox so Sony will be the clear console performance leaders which is very important to a certain demographic.
  • Damn after watching that I can’t stop singing the classic Rolling Stones song ‘back in the PSSR’
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pointless update.  In fact, mid gen refresh generally are pointless.  Since all developers are required to code for the base console anyway, meaning it is going to be held back by the original PS5.  

From Sony’s perspective, I don’t really understand it either, these things are not really profit making machines, they often are sold at a lost, so they are trying to capture people to get into the ecosystem mid cycle who never got the original one?  

While I agree that this ''update'' is pointless, I strongly disagree with all mid generation updates being pointless.  I for one was looking forward to a mid generation update, though what is being released is a huge disappointment to me.  And if I'm being honest, I don't really see this as a mid generation update, I see it more akin to the release of the PS5 Slim, I suspect that there will be a ''proper'' mid gen update, like in the PS4 vs the PS4 Pro, sort of spec differences.  This is more of a tweak, rather than a full fledged update.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18300
    tFB Trader
    Pointless update.  In fact, mid gen refresh generally are pointless.  Since all developers are required to code for the base console anyway, meaning it is going to be held back by the original PS5.  

While I agree that this ''update'' is pointless, I strongly disagree with all mid generation updates being pointless.  I for one was looking forward to a mid generation update, though what is being released is a huge disappointment to me.  And if I'm being honest, I don't really see this as a mid generation update, I see it more akin to the release of the PS5 Slim, I suspect that there will be a ''proper'' mid gen update, like in the PS4 vs the PS4 Pro, sort of spec differences.  This is more of a tweak, rather than a full fledged update.

I’m not see why you see this a less relevant than the PS 4 Pro.

Both were basically a GPU spec bump.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3445
    edited September 10

I’m not see why you see this a less relevant than the PS 4 Pro.

Both were basically a GPU spec bump.

Ignore the lack of a disc drive.  The only real difference between the Pro and the current PS5 is, the USB A on the back being replaced with an extra USB C, it has a different cover and mount system for the cover, it has a better GPU, and it comes shipped with 2TB - hardly an upgrade as the current PS5 comes with 1TB and can be upgraded to 8TB.   So the only real upgrade is the GPU, and to be able to appreciate that, you need a very large TV that is pretty close to the current ''flagship model'' specs - TVs that cost closer to £5k than £1K.   Where as a PS4 Pro, wasn't just an upgrade to the GPU - that required at the time a flagship TV to appreciate, and storage - which the non Pro versions could be upgraded to the same maximum limit, it was also a massively upgraded sound output as well, and features optical output for truly superior sound that anybody could appreciate for a extra few quid - and what I was really hoping for and a hell of a lot of people where disappointed to not see n the launch generation of PS5s.