General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    I've just started The Witcher 3 for what must be the 4th or 5th time.  Never got more than a few hours into it despite enjoying the game.  I just seem to forget about it for a while and decide it's too involved to jump back in so end up leaving it and restarting a few months later. 

The save files on steam suggest the last time I gave it a go was around this time last year.  Must be some correlation between the nights getting darker and me wanting to play long, involved RPGs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    I started it earlier this year and I just found it terribly dated, especially the movement. I’m sure lots love it for good reason but it wasn’t for me. 

Metroid Dread on the other hand, is excellent. 
    Yeah, Geralt handles like an erratic donkey.  I'm travelling by horse as much as possible but that has it's issues as well, mainly centred around dismounting while in combat.

I've never got into the metroid games.  Is Dread a good place to start or would I be better going back playing some of the older games first? 
  • Wild Hunt is one of my favourite games ever. It's one of the few I went and reloaded a save from about half way through so I could do as many side quests as I could before the ending, which itself was really good.

I think I'll give it a go again when the X/S optimised version comes out (if it ever does).
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    RedRabbit said:
    Yeah, Geralt handles like an erratic donkey.  I'm travelling by horse as much as possible but that has it's issues as well, mainly centred around dismounting while in combat.

I've never got into the metroid games.  Is Dread a good place to start or would I be better going back playing some of the older games first? 
    The other issue was I had was I spent so much time playing Skyrim, and Oblivion before it when Witcher 3 came out that I was all RPG’d out. And I was heavily invested in World of Warcraft, running a very (sad I know) successful raiding guild. Witcher passed me by.

I only played Metroid on GameCube and I absolutely loved it. This seems like a perfect place to start. It’s 2D  (mostly) and a self contained story. If you have a Switch, considering the fact that great games are few and far between, it’s an absolute must buy.  
  • I'm jonesing to play deus ex again. I used to play through it every year, but have not played through for at least 6!
    RedRabbit said:

The other issue was I had was I spent so much time playing Skyrim, and Oblivion before it when Witcher 3 came out that I was all RPG’d out. And I was heavily invested in World of Warcraft, running a very (sad I know) successful raiding guild. Witcher passed me by.

I only played Metroid on GameCube and I absolutely loved it. This seems like a perfect place to start. It’s 2D  (mostly) and a self contained story. If you have a Switch, considering the fact that great games are few and far between, it’s an absolute must buy.
    I've got a few quid in my PayPal account so feeling increasingly tempted by Dread. Think I'll have a go on Super Metroid this weekend to see if I get on with it.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    comparing super metroid and dread is like comparing doom to titanfall 2. you might not enjoy playing the old one in 2021 (although i think super metroid will be great forever)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    I've tried Witcher 3 three times. I want to love it, but something just doesn't click. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Just played a couple of hours of resident evil 7.  So far so good.

Got stuck for a while but some typical RE logic found the missing piece to the puzzle - draining a bath to find a wooden statue!

The dad reminds me of nemesis from RE3 - fairly easy to put down but absolutely relentless.

Still got a good chunk of the game to go but it's up there with RE4 and the RE1 remake so far.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    I have actually been sucked in by Fallout 76 with all of its jankiness. Thoroughly enjoying it which I didn't expect after all the bad press, though maybe the Wastelanders and BOS updates have improved things since the base game came out. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    Just been watching some Halo Infinite gameplay. Safe to say I'll be getting this one. Hopefully the story line carries better than Halo 5.
  • i just started playing a game called dusk that just came out on the switch. it is very good (an old skool fps type).
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    Caved and bought Dread.

It's very good.
    Caved and bought Dread.

It's very good.
    YES!
  • IMC1980 said:
    I have actually been sucked in by Fallout 76 with all of its jankiness. Thoroughly enjoying it which I didn't expect after all the bad press, though maybe the Wastelanders and BOS updates have improved things since the base game came out. 
    Oooh, what's it like for single-player? The MMO aspect and base-building tech put me off last time 
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    IMC1980 said:
    Oooh, what's it like for single-player? The MMO aspect and base-building tech put me off last time 
    I have been playing as a single player Fallout, it is fine, the mix of the original questline and the Wastelanders questline means that there is a lot to do from the off; the base building has some purpose now you're building for yourself and not being sent out by Preston to set up a community that just leach of your hard work.

Leveling and gear acquisition is slower but was too fast in Fallout 4 and if you login every day then you get freebies ranging from resources to free caps. Level 18 at the moment and maybe 15-20 hours in, still got a long way to go with the original questline and the Wastelanders questline, haven't even started the BoS questline yet. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2398
    Stevepage said:
    Just been watching some Halo Infinite gameplay. Safe to say I'll be getting this one. Hopefully the story line carries better than Halo 5.
    For some reason, I could never get into any Halo games. It was just very obviously ‘clear this area then move on’, which in know most FPS’ are, but with Halo I always found it a chore. 

Not to say I won’t get it mind you - but Halo 2 was absolute donkey balls IMO. 
    @FarleyUK If it’s free on Gamepass why not? First super duper blockbuster of this gen, and for free? (Kinda). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUK said:
    Stevepage said:
    For some reason, I could never get into any Halo games. It was just very obviously ‘clear this area then move on’, which in know most FPS’ are, but with Halo I always found it a chore. 

Not to say I won’t get it mind you - but Halo 2 was absolute donkey balls IMO. 
    I'm playing through the Master Chief collection at the moment, and Halo 2 does seem to have sections that go on and on - lots of identical fights through identical areas of a spaceship, then more identical fights against Flood through the same (probably? Could be the other side of the ship for all I can tell) spaceship corridors.

CE is great, and 3, ODST and Reach are all great. Although they are all Halo games, so if that's not your thing, they may not appeal. But 2 is getting a bit boring now, all of the grandeur of the series is missing.