General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• MolochMoloch Frets: 694
    LuttiS said:

Campaigns - not played online. 

I've played a co-op campaign with a friend and it was pretty fun. Never actually versused anyone in campaign before. I'm right in the middle of a Clan Pestilens run on Legendary and just picked a fight with all the forces of order. Once I'm done killing all of them I'll give you a shout and we could try a campaign, if you fancy it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2552

Jack Black playing RDR2, I nearly pissed myself watching this

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    LuttiS said:

I've played a co-op campaign with a friend and it was pretty fun. Never actually versused anyone in campaign before. I'm right in the middle of a Clan Pestilens run on Legendary and just picked a fight with all the forces of order. Once I'm done killing all of them I'll give you a shout and we could try a campaign, if you fancy it.
    Sure sounds good. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    LuttiS said:
    LuttiS said:
    I've been almost exclusively on Vermintide ii and Total War Warhammer 2 if any fancies a bash at some point :)
    vermintide 2 seems pretty buggy at least on PC
    I've only come across one bug where the rat ogre dies if you back it into a corner and it clips through a wall... Only happened once though.

Darryl_Morris said:
    LuttiS said:
    I've been almost exclusively on Vermintide ii and Total War Warhammer 2 if any fancies a bash at some point
    Campaign or single battles?

The invert Y axis doesnt work for me on mouse although it does if I use a controller and Ive had 2 crashes. It does seem quite fun when it's working though.

First 2 missions tried as the battle mage.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    LuttiS said:

Do you guys just play the strategy level map or do you manage the individual battles too..its the battle part that I kinda didnt get to grips with. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2392
    LuttiS said:

Do you guys just play the strategy level map or do you manage the individual battles too..its the battle part that I kinda didnt get to grips with. 
    Yeah, I'm the same. I need to dive in to Warhammer Total War 2, but I always get my arse kicked on the actual tactical battles!
    FarleyUK said:
    LuttiS said:

Yeah, I'm the same. I need to dive in to Warhammer Total War 2, but I always get my arse kicked on the actual tactical battles!
    Battles are the best bit :) If there are a few people here who play, could get some good large battles going. 
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    Still playing Elite Dangerous

Recently got the new COD, and I'm liking that a great deal.
    Unsurprsingly, me too - should hit competent today.
  • 2020: the year of coronavirus and sim racing for me. 

Ooooh, great minds!

The only games I've ever really gotten into when I was younger are racing sims, but haven't played any for years. This current lockdown, plus the fact that I've just got divorced and now have a house all to myself for the first time in 12 years, means I've taken the plunge to get back into it.

I have a 2nd hand Logitech G29 in the post on its way to me, along with a used copy of Project Cars 2 for the PS4 that I snagged for £6. Can't wait to get stuck in!

I went through a phase of being massively into GTR and GT Legends on the PC about 10-15 years ago. I was never much good at it compared to some of the guys who compete online, so I have no illusions that I'll be anything other shite this time round too, but I don't care!

Anyone else played Project Cars 2? Any handy hints?

Just as an update to my previous post, my Logitech wheel and its stand arrived today. Got it all set up and plugged in, as excited as a kid on Christmas morning....

...then discovered I'd actually ordered the XBox version of the game instead of PS4!!!

What an absolute muppet I am!  =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2392
    LuttiS said:
    FarleyUK said:
    LuttiS said:

Battles are the best bit :) If there are a few people here who play, could get some good large battles going. 
    So just tried the game (for the, er, first time) and there's a hell of a lot of things to consider even in the initial battle. I'm assuming it all just becomes second nature?
    FarleyUK said:
    LuttiS said:
    FarleyUK said:
    LuttiS said:

So just tried the game (for the, er, first time) and there's a hell of a lot of things to consider even in the initial battle. I'm assuming it all just becomes second nature?
    For the most part yeah, once you get the hang of manoeuvring the units it's pretty straight forward and modifiers work as you would imagine i.e. infantry with spears work well against cavalry, shields protect from arrows, hit a unit from behind and they are more likely to break etc.  
    edited April 2020
    LuttiS said:

You basically have to play the battles in this one, as the auto-resolve function doesn't work very well. It favours things that just don't work in the actual battles, so I'll frequently be told by the auto-resolve calculator that I'll either lose or take massive casualties. Then I go in and fight the battle manually and take zero losses. Take this one for an example.

I was caught in forced march by two Empire armies, so the auto-resolve would have been a loss, with my army completely wiped out and theirs mostly surviving. It went... differently:

FarleyUK said:
    LuttiS said:
    FarleyUK said:
    LuttiS said:

Battles are the best bit If there are a few people here who play, could get some good large battles going. 

Pretty much, yes. Warhammer II: Total War is a 'deep end' place to start if you haven't played Total War before, simply because there are more variables (monsters, magic, flying units, summons, etc), but you'll get used to it over time. Probably the easiest way to get the hang of it would be to co-op with an experienced player, but you can always do a campaign on Easy difficulty, just to get the feel of the mechanics and what works for you.

Was a while back but it didn't feel very warhammery from a mechanics standpoint, and also was a weirdbalance between feeling like i was always either trying to react too much like an RTS or treating it more strategically and reacting not enough if you see what I mean.

Maybe I need to give it another try now I have more time to commit to it though. Ive whacked it on my watch list..hopefully it will come up on sale soon
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited April 2020
    Not sure about eneba, but I got it on one of the cdkey sites. I'll check my emails and see if I can find which one.

Google says Eneba is fairly dodgy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ok installing now..prob wont have time for a bash before bed tonight but tomorrow....
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited April 2020
    Was a while back but it didn't feel very warhammery from a mechanics standpoint, and also was a weirdbalance between feeling like i was always either trying to react too much like an RTS or treating it more strategically and reacting not enough if you see what I mean.

Maybe I need to give it another try now I have more time to commit to it though. Ive whacked it on my watch list..hopefully it will come up on sale soon

I bought it from CDKeys, as per @LuttiS's recommendation. Works perfectly. I posted another link that a popular Total War YouTuber was touting and that also has the DLCs on discount.

With regard to the mechanics, they've done a lot of work on that since the release ot Warhammer II. For example:

1. The Empire now have an Elector Count system, with far more political intricacy to manage.
    2. Skaven now have the option to build and spread undercities, as well as plagues and have added a lot of extra units.
    3. Vampire Counts now have 'bloodlines', with different generals who they can add to their ranks, bringing different skills and faction perks.
    4. Dark Elves have an economy that is built entirely upon slavery.

There are more changes, but those are four examples of the progress. Thing with the games is that they always have to fit into the Total War mould, with twenty unit armies and a degree of balance, so there will always be compromises. A prime example there would be Skaven, who don't bring the kinds of vast numbers that their race are associated with, because it would mess up the balancing and make it a much harder game for people to run on mid-tier PCs.

So, in order to balance that while retaining the theme of Skaven treachery and cowardice, they made it so that their armies break more easily, while also making it so that their crazy weapons are reliable (as opposed to likely to explode and kill the operators). They also have a rare stalking ambush mechanic for catching armies out with battles when they are unprepared.

Once you really spend some time with a faction you will 'feel' their theme coming to the fore. The most un-Warhammer thing in the game at the moment is that neither the Greenskins nor Chaos present a significant threat. The former are going to be the focus of the next DLC rework, while Chaos is almost certainly going to be the focus of the final game in the trilogy.
    Makes a change from chaos being an autowin I suppose
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I've only actually played the campaign once in WH2, (Dark Elves ftw!) But have done it with most races In the first one.
    Will be good to maybe get a few big ass battles going =)