Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Watches £200ish

What's Hot
My girlfriend wanted to buy me a watch as a Christmas present so we decided to wait until the sales. Looking around the £200 mark so what's good? I've had this Seiko SND419P1 for over a decade and it's showing its age now, scratched glass and chrono arms that don't always reset to 12 o'clock.

https://d1rkccsb0jf1bk.cloudfront.net/products/99932346/main/large/SND419P112603537574b1f78dd79d60.jpg

At this price, am I best to look at Seiko again and Citizen? I like the idea of Eco-Drive and Kinetic but might be out of price range.
I've seen some Skagen that look very cool but are they just fashion watches i.e. overpriced? Same with Hugo Boss, they have some nice looking pieces.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you shop around you can usually find a Christopher Ward around your budget.. amazing watches for the money.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444
    Citizen are good.  The one I had was very accurate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    I would’ve normally recommended Skagen but my wife’s one has gone tits up, the hour hand has literally just fallen off inside the glass. :'( Can’t get the movement out easily to fix it either. They do look nice but I don’t think they’re actually anything special. 
  • Mine is a Citizen eco drive which has been trouble free, I'm not sure how old it is but about ten years I  think. MrsTheWeary also has one ( different model!) but has eschewed it in favour of her smart watch thingy and she can't wear a watch at work anyway.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2422
    You need to spend quite a bit more money to get a watch that is better than a Seiko 5 IMO.
    I'd get one of their smarter ones with a nice bracelet
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • There may be a nice Vivienne Westwood watch up for sale soon!! Keep an eye on the classifieds! 
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdv said:
    You need to spend quite a bit more money to get a watch that is better than a Seiko 5 IMO.
    I'd get one of their smarter ones with a nice bracelet
    Wis. 200 is prime Seiko/Orient territory imo. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18635
    This isn't a pisstake, but have a look at Timex.
    They are affordable (not cheap) & they aren't a brand to be embarrassed about wearing any more.
    https://www.timex.co.uk/browse/men/shop-by-watch-type/chronograph-watches/
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4995
    4 swatches?
  • You can get a Casio digital watch for a tenner.

So I'd recommend getting 20 of those.
    There may be a nice Vivienne Westwood watch up for sale soon!! Keep an eye on the classifieds! 

Fine work. Fine work.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited December 2019
    This isn't a pisstake, but have a look at Timex.
    They are affordable (not cheap) & they aren't a brand to be embarrassed about wearing any more.
    https://www.timex.co.uk/browse/men/shop-by-watch-type/chronograph-watches/

Thoroughly disagree with that statement... No (zero) jewel quartz movements, mens watches with tiny womans movements with plastic spacers taking up all case space. Snap on case backs with little to no water resistance, micron wafer thin acrylic crystals, and mass produced in china at a per piece cost of about 49p.

It's the Timex watches of yesteryear that I'd be happy to wear. You might have got a pallet bridge movement, but at least they were mechanical, and built in the UK to (compared to fashion watches of today) a reasonably high standard.

IMO, If it weren't for their current Snoopy and Peanuts product line, folks would have no reason to buy a Timex. That's why the (all year round) discount codes work on anything apart from Snoopy and Peanuts.

@DiscoStu ; you're right, with your specific budget, you can't go wrong with Seiko or Citizen. G-Shock or maybe a Hamilton Khaki in the sales are another couple of options.

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    There must be a model in the Casio Edifice range which you would like.

Perhaps, a chronograph similar to your old Seiko:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Casio-Edifice-Stainless-Steel-Blue-Dial-Chronograph-Mens-Watch-EFR-564D-2AVUEF/283643176662?epid=17025490647&hash=item420a7366d6:g:nF8AAOSwSNZdALJU

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5442
    Cheers guys, l've been looking at most of the ones suggested.
    The Seiko 5 Automatic - is that the same mechanism as their Kinetic range?
  • Mondaine. At that budget you're not going to get a really good automatic movement so go for a watch which will never look anything less that epic. 
    I've got the Big Date one, battery and it never get's missed. I love it. I also wear much more expensive watches which feel lost among the noise.
    Mondaine all the way at that money. 
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9654
    DiscoStu said:
    I've seen some Skagen that look very cool...
    My Skagen, despite looking nice, is the most problematic of the handful of watches I own. Maybe a rogue one but I won’t be buying another. At £200ish I’d probably be looking at Seiko or Bering.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • The absolutely banging Panda that is the Orient Neo 70
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    edited December 2019
    I recently got this Rotary Pepsi for £80 in H Samuel. Stuck a NATO strap on it and it looks the business. 

https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/9794166/rotary+henley+men's+stainless+steel+bracelet+watch/
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7088
    edited December 2019
    Deadman said:
    I recently got this Rotary Pepsi for £80 in H Samuel. Stuck a NATO strap on it and it looks the business. 

https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/9794166/rotary+henley+men's+stainless+steel+bracelet+watch/
    it says it's £299.99
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5442
    Some of those Seiko 5 Autos are lovely. They need charged every day or two though which rules them out. I'm after a new weekend/dress watch so if going for the fancy I'd definitely go Eco Drive or Kinetic.
  • I like Casio G shock 5600 style watches. A tough solar one would save on batteries and you wouldn’t have to have a gasket sealed and pressure/water test because the back had been off