Guitar Magazines

What's Hot
It's that time of year again for many of us with subscription renewals for clubs, gyms AND guitar magazines perhaps(?) seeming to demand the emptying of our piggy-banks. 
What do folk think of the current crop of Guitar Magazines?
Are they worth it?
Do you subscribe or just pick up the odd copy that grabs your attention?
AND ... if having bought said magazine(s), how much and what do you actually make use of in their content?
On a personal note, I find 'Guitar Techniques' seems full of 'advanced' stuff, virtually assuming you can already play it, 'great'!, with just token easier material. (I can get most off the net anyway).
'Total Guitar' seems to focus more on the 'heavier tones and bands' though seems more accessible for this mediocre strummer. 'Guitarist', well I've never seen a poor review in that mag, (unless of course the product doesn't advertise with them!).
'The Guitar Magazine', interesting articles, though not much teaching technique, what there is usually does offer, IMHO, a different take on things though.
US magazines, meh ... mostly advertorial too, though the (very) occasional article seems OK.
Your thoughts ...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I might get Guitar Player digital again, I think it's about $7 for a whole year. I occasionally buy a Guitar Magazine.
    Anything I'm really interested in I've usually long since found out about online before reading it in print. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWeary, agree with you. Online details, reviews etc. beat magazine info by a mile (many months) AND at least you get a bunch of varied viewpoints and opinions, usually not tied to keeping advertisers 'sweet'!
  • I have a big collection of 80s guitar player ,guitar world and the UK Guitarist magazine .
    they are full of excellent things to read. I stopped getting new ones unless there is a superb feature in them.  Guitar world was ace in the 80s early 90s with a letters page where people trolled each other , some funny cartoons, features on awesome gear and some of the most awesome players in the world . I can barely relate to anything in the new ones .

guitar techniques is interesting  but I can get a fundamental changes book or go on YouTube to learn new techniques etc .
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • $7 for whole year. Is this the USA one ,might be worth a digital sub for that price 

I might get Guitar Player digital again, I think it's about $7 for a whole year. I occasionally buy a Guitar Magazine.
    Anything I'm really interested in I've usually long since found out about online before reading it in print. 

• I find most magazines like coffee table books now ,glossy productions featuring things I could never afford played by people I never heard of , well I’ve heard of them now from others talking about them . I once asked a guy what guitarists he was into and I thought he said John mayall  and I knew who he was , but it was some chap called Mayer , I had never heard of him
  • $7 for whole year. Is this the USA one ,might be worth a digital sub for that price 

I might get Guitar Player digital again, I think it's about $7 for a whole year. I occasionally buy a Guitar Magazine.

Better check... $7.99 from my favourite magazines includes a bookazine (!) on classic and vintage guitars. It’s digital but doesn’t do exciting digital stuff, just an adobe download. But 67cents ( about 51p) per issue. You often get artists who don’t get featured in the U.K. magazines.
    I think when you subscribe you get a link to the magazine app which doesn’t really work, they just email you a link when it’s published. But I have the last year’s on the kindle app on my iPad so it’s alright. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • So not much love or interest in Guitar 'comics'hey(?)
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    Although this thread is three years or so old I find it very interesting.

I've just ended a two-year subscription to Guitarist mainly for the same reason as Fenderman but also because it is de facto the PJD house magazine - that company's name is worked into almost every article - and because of its inconsistency. A few issues ago one reviewer on the video described a new Guild guitar as 'virtually without fault' while the written review picked numerous holes.

I pass my magazines on to my two grandsons who I'm teaching to play and would like a magazine I could enjoy myself and then share. Guitar Techniques is the favourite but, like another reviewer here, the lack of songs rated easier than four stars is a shame.

I realise magazines must give some recognition to the companies that advertise with them but I'm coming to the decision that none of them thinks a magazine that is genuinely critical and covers techniques for more moderately skilled players will not be profitable.