Best delay for front ending an amp?

What's Hot
stedsted Frets: 259
Had tonnes in the past, Deja-Vu, Flashback, TC Nova....all didn't really impress into the front of the amp. I'll be running it at the end of a board with a tuner, wah, fuzz, OD and vibe.

Any suggestions geezers?

Ta.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    The Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay is supposedly designed to work in front of an amp/ well with distortion.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    edited May 2014
    BBE Two timer into a Boss CE5 is gorgeous.

I also run it after a Tube Factor, and it's gorgeous on steroids.
  • swlabrswlabr Frets: 29
    +1 on the DBD. Works great into an overdriven amp.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    I used a Timefactor to great effect in front of a Laney VC15, Blue Junior and Rivera Clubster 25. All set just a smudge past clean. 

What amp are you using, and how dirty?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    stickyfiddle;253613" said:

What amp are you using, and how dirty?
    This is very important. Also, what delay options do you need?
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited May 2014
    I have the Deep Blue Delay. It's very good at what it does, but no delay into an amp which is already breaking up will sound that great IMO, it's always best to put delay after overdrive/distortion, though it does depend on how much gain you use and how you want to use the delay. 

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Yeah, I think it has much less to do with the delay and much more to do with the amp. I guess the only thing I can think of that'd particularly help a delay going into a breaking up amp is to high-pass the delay so there's not loads of low end muck eating up all the headroom and causing inter-modulating distortion as it interacts with the dry sound?

So basically, a delay with a tone knob.
  • stedsted Frets: 259

Cheers for the responses guys, its a Matchless Independence it gets used with and usually pretty dirty although its not what ypu would term a "High gain" amp I guess, mostly the delays get way out of hand once I flip to doing leads or engage a drive pedal, also the taper on the knobs of previous units isn't gradual enough.

Maybe there's something out there with a wet/dry knob on it and tap tempo....like the DejaVu....which I used to have....

• Was about to suggest a deja vu.

Also, the tc repeater has a tone knob. And sounds great, but I'd probably be more inclined to look for a deja vu.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1244
    Catalinbread Belle Epoch. It was made to run in front of an amp, like the Echoplex. Run it before a foundation overdrive or after Fuzz or boosters.
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    Babones said:
    Catalinbread Belle Epoch. It was made to run in front of an amp, like the Echoplex. Run it before a foundation overdrive or after Fuzz or boosters.
    Cheers man, forgot about those, think there's one for sale on here as well somewhere.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    If you need tap tempo - Hazarai Memory Man is good with a dirty amp. Strymon El Cap, too.
    If you don't need tap - most analogue delays sounds good into a dirty amp, IMO. Virtually any of the catalinbread delays work well, too. Skreddy Echo, also.

I find the "digital digital" delays (ones that aren't trying to emulate tape or summat - The boss units, Nova etc) sound worst as the gain from the amp normally makes the repast too loud.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I am still in the honeymoon period with mine but feel I should recommend the El Cap - it's a wonderful thing.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    Strymon Timeline all the way. Sits in front of my amp and in front of me ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    Glad you're enjoying the El Cap. I'm still missing it :(
    Gagaryn;254029" said:
    I am still in the honeymoon period with mine but feel I should recommend the El Cap - it's a wonderful thing.
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Ibanez ad9
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I refer you to Rule #1:

"Need an effect? > Do Catalinbread make it? > If yes, buy it > End."

My Belle Epoch is great at this sort of business, but that's just one flavour - look into the Montavillian, and the Echorec.
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 907
    If you are using a fuzz and an od in front of the delay, you might need to consider the pedals headroom. I have lots of delays that sound great in front of the amp, but clip when they are pushed by some of my drive pedals. Most of the bucket brigade delays have limited headroom and can struggle with the input gain more than the dirt generated by the amp. El capistan works best for me.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3307
    hotpickups;254146" said:
    Strymon Timeline all the way. Sits in front of my amp and in front of me ;)
    Snap.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Malekko 616 is my favourite. It is quite dark compared to some pedals but sounds amazing to me. Switchable buffer is very useful too