what cheap chinese made gems have you found

What's Hot

Comments

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    edited March 2021
    I have a JoYo British Sound and absolutely love it - very versatile for the stuff I like to play. I would say it's designed for Marshall-inspired classic rock (hence its name) rather than metal though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BorkBork Frets: 256
    longjaw said:
    I have a JoYo British Sound and absolutely love it - very versatile for the stuff I like to play. I wold say it's designed for Marshall-inspired classic rock (hence its name) rather than metal though.
    Stick a Mosky silver horse in front and share your thoughts! :) 

[This space for rent]

• To paraphrase an old blues song.

If it weren't for Chinese guitars I wouldn't have no guitars at all.

I'm not one who thinks they're a better guitarist just because my guitar has got a big name on the head.

My current and newest is my Alden AD-KESS a take on Kays Barney Kessel model.

https://postimg.cc/18LMJVn8

It's a great guitar.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Annette said:
    To paraphrase an old blues song.

If it weren't for Chinese guitars I wouldn't have no guitars at all.

I'm not one who thinks they're a better guitarist just because my guitar has got a big name on the head.

My current and newest is my Alden AD-KESS a take on Kays Barney Kessel model.

https://postimg.cc/18LMJVn8

It's a great guitar.
    Link doesn't work for me?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Donner Yellow Fall Analogue (style) Delay. Mini pedal. About £22 from Amazon. Had one. Sold it on this very forum. Missed it immeditely and a month later got another one. Always on my board. actually tried it directly against the EHX Memory Toy and prefer the Donner in some ways.
    Also use a Donner Tuner stuck on my board. Some of these Chinese micro pedals are great. And I love the fact they take up so little space.
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    ammoon ENO EX EQ7 7-Band EQ Pedal a lot of pedal for peanuts and little space :) 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3536
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Behringer BDI21 bass preamp/DI, recommended to me by Bridgehouse on here, £18 delivered (from the UK) and everything I need for direct-to-desk home recording bass parts from clean to heavily overdriven. It even feels solid and well built. Total bargain.

I'm also a fan of the cheapo Belcat DLY-503 Analog Delay ('analog'-style but probably digital). Cheap but very cheerful.

The Belcat quite famously and unexpectedly does the best slap back delay you can buy
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Behringer BDI21 bass preamp/DI, recommended to me by Bridgehouse on here, £18 delivered (from the UK) and everything I need for direct-to-desk home recording bass parts from clean to heavily overdriven. It even feels solid and well built. Total bargain.

I'm also a fan of the cheapo Belcat DLY-503 Analog Delay ('analog'-style but probably digital). Cheap but very cheerful.

Who is doing the Behringer @£18 delivered?
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7193
    edited October 2021
    I think that Artist Guitars represent very good value for money at the moment;

Artist Guitars TC59 (£189 with rectangular "tweed" hardcase and free shipping):
    Obviously inspired by a humbucker-modded 1959 Telecaster in natural varnish and black scratchplate.  Very heavy body but I have routed out a large weight-relief chamber in the body from the rear and made a cover for the hole (no noticeable affect on the sound).  It has dark man-made material for fingerboard that feels and looks nice, and the neck is nice and chunky.  The humbuckers sound really good for their price and coil splitting on both pickups via a push-pull pot on the tone knob makes it quite versatile .  It needed a small amount of fret dressing and a setup, but was exceptional value for money.  The locking tuners (odd on a '59 inspired "tele" I suppose) are almost as good as the Axetec ones I buy.  I've had to do more fret dressing on a £500 guitar than I had to do on this. The case looks really nice but it is about the quality normally expected at the pricepoint and a bit higher.  Demand has outstripped supply and they go out of stock very quickly after they come in. It is out of stock right now.

Artist Guitars ST62 (£159 with free shipping):
    Obviously inspired by an aged white 1962 rosewood fingerboard Stratocaster with an aged maple neck.  Nice weight and flawless finish.  2-point fulcrum trem works well but it needed a setup and a little bit of fret dressing, and it has the same locking tuners as their "Tele".  The same man-made composite fingerboard is used and it feels good.  Pickups aren't as good as their "tele" counterparts but I've had worse on guitars twice and three times the price.  This is in stock at the moment.

Harley Benton CLD-41SE-WN (CLD = "Custom-Line Dreadnaught", SE = "Solid Top Electric", WN = "Walnut Natural"):
    £298 with free shipping, now inclusive of VAT and customs duty from Thomann.
    Obviously "inspired by" a Martin D-41 with all the abalone inlays and neck volute, but with walnut used for the dark woods.  I don't normally like bling on an acoustic, but this guitar could easily be mistaken for one 4 times the price or higher if you didn't see the headstock logo and label.  It is fancy without being too ostentatious and, most importantly, sounds like a much more expensive guitar.
  • wraubwraub Frets: 27
    Currently using a Firefly LP style guitar which is really quite good (at least mine is), and on the pedal board there's a recent Kmise Vintage Overdrive and an old Zealux delay (in the silver case, not the grey Caline/Joyo one), both of which I consider keepers.
  • WBT2079WBT2079 Frets: 87
    I’m currently having a lot of fun with a Gear4music knoxville select legacy  telecaster. It’s a good weight, got a nice thick neck (well for me I have small hands), and the stock pickups weren’t half bad, in fact I would say they were nicer than the stock pickups in my Squier CV 60s. Anyway I bought it because I wanted a modding platform to start moulding into my version of a macawber. Something that looked rough around the edges, so it’s great that the finish isn’t perfect (not sure what the finish is but it’s nothing like my other guitars) The neck is very yellow, but this does dull down with a bit of wire wool. I have since replaced the switch and wired it to nocaster wiring, and have fitted an iron gear4music  overwound steel foundry in the bridge and an iron gear blues engine in the neck (rotated so screws away from bridge) and it (in my humble opinion) is a little monster.
  • I bought a Klon-looking pedal on Wish, on a whim to see what it would be like. It's surprisingly good actually, very solid and it sounds quite nice with lots of variety with some knob-twiddling. No idea how it compares to an actual Centaur, or if it's even a vaguely similar circuit, but it's a decent OD/distortion pedal in a proper aluminium enclosure for less than £35.
  • Bought a Joyo Tremolo with the "Junkyard Dog" on from lovestrat74 - it sounds great but I thinking I'll be modding it to full tremulator settings :) 
  • The Nu-X Mod Core is a cracking pedal. 8 modulation effects, and stereo too for not much money.
    For absolute simplicity, the Donner Emo-Amp Controller. It does nothing more than sit there as a passive volume attenuator, with an on off switch to mute the signal. I was going to build myself something along this line, but it was cheaper to buy the Emo.
    +1 for the British Sound. I have the Harley Benton one.
  • FatboylimFatboylim Frets: 14
    edited May 2022
    Partspipe Klon from Hong Kong.  Always on! 

Donner Island delay, very usable for quite a good price! 

I went for expensive Overdrives and analogue pedals, then cheaper modulation. 

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    This Hamer Slammer is a really good guitar; the sound really rings out and it likes open chords - I think it'd work well in a punk band.

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2522
    Bought a Joyo Tremolo with the "Junkyard Dog" on from lovestrat74 - it sounds great but I thinking I'll be modding it to full tremulator settings :) 
    :+1: 
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 170
    Chinese Squire Simon Neil Signature. I changed the saddles to Highwood saddles and now use it all the time in Drop C.
    Its a brilliant guitar.

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    Just had a banana fritter for the first time from our local Chinese. Blew my mind. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom