Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NeuralDSP / Darkglass helix type thing....? Now with Rabea demo!

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23966
edited January 2020 in FX

Eric noticed...

And that's Doug at the bottom.

Rumours that Neural / Darkglass are moving into hardware!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't think Doug gets it!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23966
  • Y'know, I'd be amazed if Line 6 hadn't protected their investment in UI design with a copyright of some sort...particularly since it took a good couple of years to design it.
    <space for hire>
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Very cool. The Neural stuff sounds awesome to me - if they have a well priced piece of hardware with all their software built in and is future proofed for new ones, I’m very interested!
  • It's tradition for everyone to get excited by NeuralDSP teasers and then be let down. I'm gonna say it wont be hardware, it'll just be another plugin.

Bye!

Y'know, I'd be amazed if Line 6 hadn't protected their investment in UI design with a copyright of some sort...particularly since it took a good couple of years to design it.
    I was thinking about that.

But it's not a circuit layout that can be protected as it's variable and on a screen, the icons could be protected, but the Neural ones look different. I can't see a line showing a path being a protected item, even with a jaunty little bend on the end.

Then I'm also thinking about Lego and Philips losing big IP cases despite having protected them for years (not like Gibson!) etc.
    And that the Helix UI seems to me like an evolution of the Fractal Computer app (not the unit itself) showing a signal path.

Wouldn't surprise me if the only thing that can be protected properly now is the logo and the software.

Yamaha no doubt have far more money to throw at litigation than Neural (and I'm assuming Doug has kept the 2 companies completely separate so problems with 1 won't affect the other), but will they have the appetite for it?

Probably take 5 years or more to get to trial and the costs would be massive, maybe getting close to the R&D Budget itself. And that's without the hassle of needing an EU and USA judgment on the same point.
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited January 2020

NAMM 2020Neural DSP’s all-new Quad Cortex is the Helsinki-based company’s first step into the hardware scene, and uses machine learning techniques to power the tech company’s unique modelling methods.

The Quad Cortex features new technology called Neural Capture, which is powered by a unique neural network architecture that is capable of autonomously analysing, learning, and replicating an amplifier’s sound and dynamic response in a way that’s akin to human perception. The brand claims that Neural Capture’s ability to profile rigs is unparalleled in terms of accuracy and realism.

Another feature of the Quad Cortex includes a significant amount of processing power. 2Ghz of dedicated DSP from the Quad Cortex’s quad-core SHARC and dual ARM architectures puts it ahead of most other floor units. In turn, this amount of power allows for more simultaneous amp models, digital effects, routing and sound-shaping capabilities. Doug Castro, founder and CEO of Neural DSP, also claims that the Quad Cortex “is the most powerful floor modeller unit on the planet” and is able to “run four rigs simultaneously”.

Neural DSP has managed to distil the capabilities of the Quad Cortex into a slim, compact format for portability. The Quad Cortex is also fitted with a 7-inch multi-touch screen and proprietary rotary footswitch controls for ease of operation.

Availability and pricing of the Neural DSP Quad Cortex TBC. For more information, click here.

Find out more about NAMM 2020 here.

This may put my Kemper plans on hold.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ooh fuck, Kemper won't be happy with that!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ooh fuck, Kemper won't be happy with that!
    Line 6 have already noticed the UI...!

If it can do 4 rigs at once as claimed then I might be able to recreate my old rack Rig of Doom that I ran 10 years ago. Best sound I ever had, but was so heavy it had to go.

• If I were Line 6 I might think about hiring someone who can put together a neural network based profiling setup of their own. All of their hardware products have the analog I/O to be able to do such a thing.

Bye!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Interesting, but probably just marketing malarky.

If they wanted to I think Kemper could claim to be using Machine Learning. It's just function approximation after all which is exactly what a Kemper does
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Both threads should be merged now...perfect opportunity for a "Modeller" section now that we have two threads about the same thing in different sections! :-) IMO

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Both threads should be merged now...perfect opportunity for a "Modeller" section now that we have two threads about the same thing in different sections! :-) IMO

MODS: Agreed
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll get on that over the weekend.
    <space for hire>
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Interesting, but probably just marketing malarky.

If they wanted to I think Kemper could claim to be using Machine Learning. It's just function approximation after all which is exactly what a Kemper does
    Totally agree.
    One thing that annoys me with Neural DSP's products ( and others to some extent ), is that they deploy all this technology to simulate the amps, and then for the cabinets, which are the things that have the most impact on the overall tone and are the least intutive to dial in, they blend a bunch of impulse responses like everyone else.

How about some innovation there, with some intuitive controls on the cabinet's EQ : low, mids ( several bands ), highs, comb filtering, but it still sounds like a real cab at the end  ? Blue cat audio have already done something like this but there's room for improvement still.
    Now this would be a gamechanger, much more than yet another amp model.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    looks pretty compact too - kinda like the midway between HX stomp and effects I wanted
    lysander said:
    One thing that annoys me with Neural DSP's products ( and others to some extent ), is that they deploy all this technology to simulate the amps, and then for the cabinets, which are the things that have the most impact on the overall tone and are the least intutive to dial in, they blend a bunch of impulse responses like everyone else.

How about some innovation there, with some intuitive controls on the cabinet's EQ : low, mids ( several bands ), highs, comb filtering, but it still sounds like a real cab at the end  ? Blue cat audio have already done something like this but there's room for improvement still.
    Now this would be a gamechanger, much more than yet another amp model.
    Cabs don't have EQs on them though. It's like Helix amp sims - they have several things to tweak and that just adds to the rabbit hole of getting set up.

Easier to use a 1 setting IR and scroll through the choices rather than having to try 20 different cab sims that have 10 parameters to adjust each. That would take far longer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    But that's exactly my point : cabs are EQs that do not have controls, so you're forced to scroll through them until you find something that's almost what you want but not quite, and that sucks.
    What would be immensely better is a single set EQ-like controls which allow you to continuously and intuitively change the sound to replicate any cab, and more.