Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NeuralDSP / Darkglass helix type thing....? Now with Rabea demo!

What's Hot

Comments

• I wont order it until I see clips of it doing it's neural capture thing with comparisons against the real amps.

Basically I was going to get a Kemper Stage this year, but if this thing can capture amps and run multiples of them at the same time, and have the same tone and dynamics and all that, then I'll be very interested.
    I wouldn't bother. I've had 4 of them and now the 4th one has been sent back to Kemper for replacement of the switches. Once they've confirmed the issue we've agreed that I'll get a full refund under my consumer rights. I absolutely love a lot about the Stage and Kemper overall, but I've had enough of the quality control. 

I've got a Revival Drive running into a SD Powerstage 170 with a HX Effects for..  Effects and it sounds awesome. The Kemper still had a bit of a digital sound to it when you upped the gain on the profile. 
    Holy shaite!?! 4 of them! That's nuts.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    Going down the rabbit hole with the archetype stuff. I think when i put these things side by side it's a bit different to what my perception is just watching demos of one sound.

• @JohnCordy ;
    For that sort of thing the Helix takes it I think. Just sounds a bit more natural than the other two.

Bye!

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    edited January 2020
    @WiresDreamDisasters nice demo.
    I agree a physical unit is much more convenient, although it’s not too hard to get software latency down to imperceptible level these days.

For me there is one plugin that sounds and feels significantly better than Helix, and anything else in fact, and that’s Blue Cat audio Axiom / Destructor.
    But it requires a very different approach to dialling in.

I still reach for my Helix stomp 99% of the time because of the physical controls and I can just plug in and not touch a mouse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10200
    I wont order it until I see clips of it doing it's neural capture thing with comparisons against the real amps.

Basically I was going to get a Kemper Stage this year, but if this thing can capture amps and run multiples of them at the same time, and have the same tone and dynamics and all that, then I'll be very interested.
    I wouldn't bother. I've had 4 of them and now the 4th one has been sent back to Kemper for replacement of the switches. Once they've confirmed the issue we've agreed that I'll get a full refund under my consumer rights. I absolutely love a lot about the Stage and Kemper overall, but I've had enough of the quality control. 

I've got a Revival Drive running into a SD Powerstage 170 with a HX Effects for..  Effects and it sounds awesome. The Kemper still had a bit of a digital sound to it when you upped the gain on the profile. 
    Yep. If you do get one make sure it doesn't have any of the main issues. Stuff or unresponsive switches being the main one.
  • I wont order it until I see clips of it doing it's neural capture thing with comparisons against the real amps.

Yep. If you do get one make sure it doesn't have any of the main issues. Stuff or unresponsive switches being the main one.
    That’s just very bad luck that you had 4 bad units. My stage has been rock solid, no issues whatsoever.
    Yea, but you can understand why I'm done with them for now. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9524
    I wont order it until I see clips of it doing it's neural capture thing with comparisons against the real amps.

Just for reference, always LOWER the gain on a profile, never increase it...

These Neural thingies do look really good.

Doesn't help when you have a profile and then you want a bit more natural sounding gain and you get a digital fizz instead and the distortion are all poor. It wasn't that bad anyway, just sometimes it didn't sound natural you know. 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24236
    Other sites showing that the first 1000 deposits are paid, and now pre orders for November are being taken.

Apparently 98% of the first batch went with 48 hours of launch.
    There's not even a demo unit released to anyone, and that company has no track record with bringing hardware to market, I hope people read the fine print about the refunds etc before ordering, the likelihood that this ships on time seems pretty low.
    This looks very much like a kickstarter at this point and these don't always end well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Yes absolutely this. However for me if I find a profile I like tone wise but feel it might have a tad too much gain, I prefer to use the pure boost first in the chain set to a negative value. This sounds more natural to me than reducing the gain knob. In effect it just means you are hitting the amp with less signal.
    lysander said:
    There's not even a demo unit released to anyone, and that company has no track record with bringing hardware to market, I hope people read the fine print about the refunds etc before ordering, the likelihood that this ships on time seems pretty low.
    This looks very much like a kickstarter at this point and these don't always end well.
    It’s the same team as Darkglass. 

They know a bit about hardware. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • lysander said:

They also know a bit about marketing ;)

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    lysander said:

They say the CEO is the former CEO of Darkglass, not that it's the same team ?
    Did Darkglass do things the old fashioned way where they build the product first, getting funding from themselves, banks and/or private equity firms, and the consumers buy the finished product without shouldering financial risk of the thing going to production ?
    They certainly seem to be extremely good at marketing and hope it all works out, but I find the business model pretty questionable.

• Doug is the CEO of both companies.
    Doug is the CEO of both companies.
    Doug is not CEO of Darkglass anymore. He stepped down. But it's still his company.
  • Came into work today, to find that the other guy I work with is one of the 1,000 people to have paid a deposit!

He was fairly excited about it on Friday, but didn't expect him to jump on it.

Chuffed, as this means I'll probably be able to blag a play around with it :)

• It’s a £1k deposit for something that isn’t available for 11 months?

• It’s a £1k deposit for something that isn’t available for 11 months?

No. $200.

Bye!