Supernatural Reverb - Meh! Blue, I mean Big Sky incoming!!

What's Hot
GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
edited June 2014 in FX
Well, I recently decided to get shot of most of my pedals and only keep a drive and delay. Then decided that I quite fancied a reverb pedal, both for ambient stuff and to use with the Princeton I will soon be building which is reverb-less. Settled on the Supernatural as it looked easy to use and is praised all over the interweb. Well, now that the honeymoon is over I am a bit disappointed with it, the plate and spring mode are pretty good but the ambient stuff is too processed and eighties sounding to my ears. Sounds very digital, which is okay sometimes but not what I was after. Luckily I bought from Andertons so will take advantage of their excellent 30 day exchange facility and replace with a Strymon Blue Sky. 

I recently picked up a El Cap on here to replace my Flashback and they are night and day, using the El cap 'feels' like using my old Roland Space Echo. Used to have the Mobius but can't be arsed with the hassle of menu driven big box pedals so am happier with Strymon's five knob pedals. I know some people feel the Strymon stuff is a bit soulless, and I kind of agreed with that with the Mobius but the El Cap is great. Hope the Blue Sky is similar.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7412
    From what I've read / seen / heard, you won't be disappointed
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    You'll love it. I sold my Supernatural to get my Big Sky. I did like the Supernatural, but the Big Sky really is something else.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10087
    edited June 2014
    The Big Sky is THE best pedal I own, and I'd never have classed my self as a reverb or Strymon fan. It adds reverb, naturally, but also a kind of BF shimmer...

I dunno. I loved my Wet and Dr Scientist RRR in the past, but the Big Sky is leagues in front of the others. Ironically, I use a Timeline now, but mainly on the 'tape' setting. I may yet get an El Cap....

Imho, you won't regret it... By the way, which drive didnt you end up keeping/favouring ?

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited June 2014
    I was about to go all defensive about the Supernatural but thought I should check out the Big Sky demos first. Oh dear, it is rather good! Still a fairly hefty difference in price though I'd imagine.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    I've had the supernatural, the blue sky, the big sky and the stereo wet. The supernatural was returned to PGS within two days for the reasons described above. But i would caution if you're thinking the Blue Sky will be much better. I don't think it is. I sold that for the same reason. The Big Sky, however, is in a different league. Its basic sounds are less digital-sounding and it is very tweakable, so pretty much anything can be dialled in or out. I still have the Stereo Wet, though. It is sonically the Big Sky's equal but it only has one (admittedly awe-inspiring) sound where the Big has a bewildering number. Overall, don't Blue Sky if you could Big. If you want the best simple reverb it's the stereo wet.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    The Big Sky is THE best pedal I own, and I'd never have classed my self as a reverb or Strymon fan. It adds reverb, naturally, but also a kind of BF shimmer...

I dunno. I loved my Wet and Dr Scientist RRR in the past, but the Big Sky is leagues in front of the others. Ironically, I use a Timeline now, but mainly on the 'tape' setting. I may yet get an El Cap....

Imho, you won't regret it... By the way, which drive didnt you end up keeping/favouring ?

You guys! Andertons' quaintly named "Mail Order" department was closed yesterday so I need to give them a phone today and now you have got me considering the Big Sky rather than the Blue Sky. I'll have a wee think about it but I think I will probably stick with the Blue Sky, at least initially, for two reasons - not a fan of menu driven pedals like I said and the price - over £400 for reverb!! Think that is more than I want to spend!

Waz - I kept the Lazy J Cruiser. Have tried loads and this works best for what I want with my gear.

Spend half of that on the Wet. You won't regret it for ambient stuff, i promise you. And if you back off on the mix it'll make a decent amp reverb for your Princeton too. You'd need to engineer a refund from Andertons I suppose. Think only Joe's Pedals stocks the Neunaber stuff

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    Expensive for a reverb pedal but then again I paid £330 to have a re reverb tank installed on my J20. It's just set and forgotten about now really but I certainly wouldn't gig without it.

I love the strymons by the way. Just sold my el cap and got a timeline and möbius. Mainly to use the midi side of things. Very happy but will miss that el cap :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    ... Just sold my el cap ...

I know, you sold it to me! :-)

Oh yeah lol. Didn't look at the avatar. Glad you're liking it :)
    Gagaryn;256132" said:
    hotpickups said:

... Just sold my el cap ...

I know, you sold it to me! :-)
    Well, just phoned Andertons - went for the Big Sky after all, I was a bit concerned that others thought the Blue Sky might suffer from the same issues as the Supernatural so just bit the bullet. Now I need to quickly forget how much I spent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2014
    God I know that feeling. Isn't long though until I have my eyes on something else. Another amp at the moment :)
    Gagaryn;256177" said:
    Well, just phoned Andertons - went for the Big Sky after all, I was a bit concerned that others thought the Blue Sky might suffer from the same issues as the Supernatural so just bit the bullet. Now I need to quickly forget how much I spent.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3307
    Big Sky = Wisdom. 
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    edited June 2014

@Gagaryn said "Well, just phoned Andertons - went for the Big Sky after all", RESULT!

Actually for me; BigSky = Argument with my accountant (Mrs Roog) in about 6 months time!

If I told her it cost half what it actually cost it would still be 4x the figure she has in mind.

Still, I have plenty of time to think up a "feeble excuse". 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 506
    I'm seriously tempted too by the Big Sky but wonder if its just a little excessive for what I need.

But then I'd probably never need another reverb ever!! (or until GAS pangs again.....)
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/

Despite my reservations about the Supernatural, I found myself really enjoying the kinds of effects it offered, which is why I thought it might be worth spending a bit more in something better. It was @JohnPerry comments that made me reconsider the Blue Sky (have a wisdom, sir) and led to me shelling out for the Big Sky. I hadn't considered it before, thinking the Blue Sky would offer sufficient improvement. Haven't even heard any demos yet - deliberately avoided them when it wasn't on my shopping list and can't access YT from my office.

I could be wrong