SG Neck finish cracks

What's Hot
johnljohnl Frets: 2011
Looking at an SG that Richtone are selling - tons of finish cracks around the neck. Obviously appreciate it's impossible to say without handling the guitar but does anyone think any of these look concerning?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5670
    That doesn't look like anything structural - it's just in the lacquer.

I'm not sure those tuners are original unless it's a really early one. It says in the description that it weighs 8lbs 12oz, which, if true, would be very heavy indeed for an SG.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    Yes, those are concerning. I *think* they're just in the finish, but to me it looks like the guitar has been dropped on its neck - the cracking around the nut indicates that it's flexed heavily, just short of breaking, there. There's also been similar stress at the neck to body joint, and again it doesn't look like it's actually broken, but it's harder to be sure - there's a little more of a gap than I would expect from shrinkage alone.

My concern would be not that the neck itself has broken, but that the glue joins between the neck and the body, and the fingerboard and the neck near the nut, have either been weakened and possibly cracked. Unfortunately it's very difficult to be sure without either deliberately flexing it to see if there's any movement - which if there is a crack, could cause more damage - or stripping the finish to have a look directly.

Is it substantially cheaper than you would expect one to be without that?

The comment written on the hang tag is quite interesting too...!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5670
    @Exorcist had a '67 reissue three-pickup SG Custom for sale.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20517
    edited January 2020
    If it's the same guitar, the serial number from the Richtone site is 993151.
    As ever with Gibson, the serials are a bit all over the parish, but I understand that this is probably a 1999 guitar.
    https://www.guitarinsite.nl/serienummers-gibson_eng.php

In which case, nitro lacquer cracking could easily be present without there being any structural issues.
    I would await more expert input, it will be along 

Edit: Re. the above comment. Oh bugger, it was while I was typing  :)
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 666
    Thanks @Brize I indeed do have a 67' reissue (92) custom 3 pickup that I would probably sell if you did happen to fancy one. Its cherry with the batwing guard. None of that weird cracking! Its in transparent (heretage?) cherry? Anyway, if you were interested let me know.