Good Ole Flatwounds

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
edited January 2020 in Bass
A good ole flatwound question...

Which would you recommend for a jazz bass?

I've tried thomastik infeld in the past, but the 30" scale (eb3) annoyed me and I sold the bass with them still on.

I preferred roundwounds on my '55 precision, as it sounded so growly and aggressive.

What are the best value nowadays? I'm not a huge advocate, but willing to have another go.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835

I don't know about nowadays, but I used to play a fretless Jazz Bass and I found Rotosound flatwounds worked best for me.

That was 20+ years ago though but might be worth considering.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    D’addario Chromes are fairly bright for flats, suit a Jazz and mellow out nicely with the tone backed off. I have a really nice set of Status flats on my other JB think they may have changed supplier though.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24251
    I use TI flats on my Precision and on the odd occasion I have flats on my jazz I use La Bella.

My Jazz usually has D'addario pro steels though - but I leave them on for quite a while so the top end zing dies down a lot.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    I've had La Bella nylon flats on my Jazz for a few months. Downside is they don't ground the signal so can be noisy on a Jazz but they sound and feel excellent.

Best value has to be Olympia Flats - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flatwound-guitar-strings-stainless-Olympia/dp/B005CD2F62/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Olympia+flat+bass&qid=1580293834&sr=8-1 very decent strings.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24251
    I forgot I had tried the La Bella White Nylons. They were very good. Smoother than the black nylons.

Noise never bothered me as I've only ever used them with humbuckers or EMGs.
    I might try them again actually.
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    JezWynd said:
    I've had La Bella nylon flats on my Jazz for a few months. Downside is they don't ground the signal so can be noisy on a Jazz but they sound and feel excellent.

Best value has to be Olympia Flats - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flatwound-guitar-strings-stainless-Olympia/dp/B005CD2F62/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Olympia+flat+bass&qid=1580293834&sr=8-1 very decent strings.

Always wondered what the Olympic flats were like, thanks. I notice they’re Stainless. The other cheapies ,Adagio, on there look to be Nickel if that makes a difference.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    It’s worth saying that imho all flats get better with age - first impressions when you put them on don’t necessarily represent the longer term sound
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Though I love Labella 760L’s, my value vote goes to Maruszczk flats via Bassdirect. They’re twenny-two squids, the gauges are 45-65-85-105 thus roughly akin to the Labella 760S set, and the feel is very very nice. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    proggy said:
    flatwounds ... 20+ years ago
    My first thought on reading twenty year old flatwound bass guitar strings was this guy.

It’s worth saying that imho all flats get better with age - first impressions when you put them on don’t necessarily represent the longer term sound
    Perhaps, you can twist his arm and buy a "relic'd" set? ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    proggy said:
    My first thought on reading twenty year old flatwound bass guitar strings was this guy.

I relic all my flat wounds individually with authentic Motown sweat 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    proggy said:

I relic all my flat wounds individually with authentic Motown sweat 

"What's going on?"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Labella low tension flats every time for me, not as floppy as TI flats & a little brighter tone wise.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2325
    Ernie Ball Flatwounds...
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    I used to use thomastik infeld but they are really expensive.  I still have them on my Thunderbird but on my fretless and 57 Precision replica, I use Rotosound Jazz Bass 77 flat-wound Monel strings.  I like the sound and feel of them and they are a lot cheaper.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I like flats on P Basses.
    I had them on one of my J's for a bit but prefer round wounds on them.

I use Chromes or Thomastiks.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Still got those Chromes on the Stingray. Still sounding good, nice balance to the bass's natural attack.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Koa said:
    JezWynd said:

Always wondered what the Olympic flats were like, thanks. I notice they’re Stainless. The other cheapies ,Adagio, on there look to be Nickel if that makes a difference.
    It's been a while since I used them but from memory they are quite low tension, esp on e string.
    Snap said:
    Still got those Chromes on the Stingray. Still sounding good, nice balance to the bass's natural attack.
    If you want flats on a stingray then chromes are definitely the first choice!
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Thank you - Now just need to decide on which gauge!
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Bought British and went for Rotos - 45 to 105.