Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What P? (decided on MJT!)

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24170
    Duck Dunn's son put his together. Has David Hood got any interested offspring?

The Duck book is excellent. Loads of accurate transcriptions, and some good info about the man himself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    Hood only seems to appear in titles about The Swampers and/or Muscles Shoals studio.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • listened to Rubber Soul yesterday 
    A fair proportion of that is the Höfner.
    Yeah, but a lot of the good stuff and most of Revolver was a 4001

I’m sure I’d be quite happy with a little Hofner eventually as well!

You are coming over to the dark side!

Now get yourself this and learn some proper stuff from the master

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1495052923/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haha! Yeah basically for me it’s Dunn, Jamerson and McCartney and everyone else can go jump
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    everyone else can go jump
    Michael Anthony, especially!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    edited February 2020
    The answer is a Ric and a Precision.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • never had a Ric, must admit they're distinctive, but bloody expensive, that middy tone can sound really nice, but unless you're doing all originals they can be limiting, saw a guy last night playing one in a rock covers band, didn't really work. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72211
    never had a Ric, must admit they're distinctive, but bloody expensive, that middy tone can sound really nice, but unless you're doing all originals they can be limiting, saw a guy last night playing one in a rock covers band, didn't really work. 
    I would have to suspect that he didn't have his gear set right, to be honest. While we all know that different basses do sound different, I can't actually think of many solidbody basses that can't be used for almost any style of music. The 'bridge' pickup (really middle) isn't actually that different-sounding from a P Bass unless it has the vintage-style bass-cut cap on it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    never had a Ric, must admit they're distinctive, but bloody expensive, that middy tone can sound really nice, but unless you're doing all originals they can be limiting, saw a guy last night playing one in a rock covers band, didn't really work. 
    I would have to suspect that he didn't have his gear set right, to be honest. While we all know that different basses do sound different, I can't actually think of many solidbody basses that can't be used for almost any style of music. The 'bridge' pickup (really middle) isn't actually that different-sounding from a P Bass unless it has the vintage-style bass-cut cap on it.
    if a Ric can sound like a P I guess the answer is a Ric then, if you can afford one
    edited February 2020
    Dunn, Jamerson and McCartney 
    Ric … that middy tone … originals
    Better add Chris Squire and Lemmy to the list.
  • Dunn, Jamerson and McCartney 
    Ric … that middy tone … originals
    Better add Chris Squire and Lemmy to the list.
    Lemmy I guess, but Yes can fuck right off tbh. I’ve never remotely understood prog (or anything with musicianship and cleverness above songwriting and groove)

Even as much as I love The Who I’ve always been a fan of Townshend and Moon far above Entwistle too. 
    PaulWarning said:

if a Ric can sound like a P I guess the answer is a Ric then, if you can afford one
    Not identical, but close enough that I think the application was the problem and not the instrument. I would have to admit the same is true the other way round too... in fact some years ago I was playing a cheap P Bass copy and thought to myself that no-one would really notice (sound-wise) if I bought it, sold my Rick and pocketed a couple of grand. And that was even when *not* using my fuzz pedal...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I have to be honest I find it very difficult to identify anything beyond Jazz Bass vs “Other” in recordings. I’m sure my ear will get much better attuned once I’ve played more seriously for a while, but I’m taking that as an indication that everything I’m looking at can be made to get the basic sounds I’m after without too much stres
  • never had a Ric, but I can't imagine anything else that sounds like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrAEkvWuK8A

never had a Ric, but I can't imagine anything else that sounds like this
    A lot is down to how it's being played. I love my Rick, but I reckon I could get pretty close to the sound with a P - in fact while I was unable to play a full-scale bass for a few months after I broke my arm, I used a Mustang Bass. It did sound different... but not very.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    This is a guitar forum, so I am legally obliged to say:

”So what? All basses sound the same anyway..”
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    All basses sound the same anyway..”
    Sell out! :-p
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    All basses sound the same anyway..”
    Sell out! :-p
    Nope, that comment was free
  • This is a guitar forum, so I am legally obliged to say:

”So what? All basses sound the same anyway..”
    So you agree with me?! :D 
  • I really should stop reading these threads, just bought a Shine SK2000  =)
  • Right, I’m putting the Rick aside for now as they’re far more money than a nice P and I’m still a massive noob so not necessarily in a position to make rational decisions. 

Has anyone tried the Highway 1 P? 42-ish mm neck, rosewood fretboard and thin nitro(ish) finish seems to tick all the boxes and there’s one on reverb for not silly money in a really nice sunburst finish