THR10 Grief

What's Hot

Well not grief with the amp exactly which is superb and I would happily recommend to anyone (been gassing for one for ages and finally pulled the trigger after much deliberation - definitely no regrets there). My problem is with the Cubase recording software which doesn't seem to be the most user friendly thing in the world - took me the best part of a day to find the licence activation code to even get the thing to install and work!  Anyway after much fiddling I've managed to be able to record my guitar and save it etc. however I'm at a total loss as to how to record a backing track through an MP3 player through the Aux input - can it even do this?  The bloke at the shop where I bought it said it could be I just can't get it to work - has anybody else managed to succeed in this venture?  If so then please I'd love to hear from you as I've been pulling my hair out for days now - and that really is something I can ill afford nowadays!

By the way if anyone else is having trouble setting up their Cubase activation code then I can send you a simpleton's guide on how to do this which was sent to me by a very helpful chap at Yamaha technical support.

Thanks all.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31925
    Stick the mp3 on your computer, set up a new stereo track, then you can just click on "import audio file" or something similar to import an mp3 into Cubase from your computer.

It's far better that way as you don't have to worry about levels or losing sound quality through additional DA/AD processes which you would by recording it in real time through an Aux input.
  • Thanks P90 that was helpful and I am able to insert the backing track using that method. However I'm now unable to record the guitar part over it - god knows why!   I can never understand why large corporations and manufacturers fail to include simple, concise instructions written in layman's terms for their products. I'm actually at the point of giving up on the whole idea of recording anything with it now and I'm feeling that Cubase is a pretty sh**y product when in reality it probably isn't but just seems some decent instructions. I think I knew I was in trouble whenI saw the Quick Start guide was 54 pages long!

Thanks anyway.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited June 2014

Thanks P90 that was helpful and I am able to insert the backing track using that method. However I'm now unable to record the guitar part over it - god knows why!   I can never understand why large corporations and manufacturers fail to include simple, concise instructions written in layman's terms for their products. I'm actually at the point of giving up on the whole idea of recording anything with it now and I'm feeling that Cubase is a pretty sh**y product when in reality it probably isn't but just seems some decent instructions. I think I knew I was in trouble whenI saw the Quick Start guide was 54 pages long!

Thanks anyway.

@downsideup11 Cubase is an awesome product. Just pop over to the Steinberg website, register your product which gives you access to hours of tutorials. Also register on the support forum - there are loads of guitarists from all over the world who'll help you if you get stuck. I've been using Cubase since the 1990s to feel free to drop me a PM if you need some help.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31925
    Yep, stick with it. It's basically a software version of an extremely well-equipped professional recording studio, and I'm sure not many laymen would expect to be able to walk into one of those and operate it straight away!

Fretwired is right about the tutorials, and once you get going the first few months with Cubase (or most of its rivals) are actually quite exciting, with lots of "wow, it can do that too!" moments.
  • Thank you both for your comments. I've calmed down a bit now and will gird my loins for another assault on it over the next day or so.  I'll certainly check out those vids on the Steinberg website so thanks for the steer. I will not be defeated!. 
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    Thank you both for your comments. I've calmed down a bit now and will gird my loins for another assault on it over the next day or so.  I'll certainly check out those vids on the Steinberg website so thanks for the steer. I will not be defeated!. 

You're going to do what with your loins? X_X

• CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    You need to create a new backing track.

So import the MP3 track.  Cool.

Then create a new track for the guitar to record onto.

Then you need to "record enable" that track.  There is a button marked "R", which lights up red if the track is enabled.  Make sure you de-record-enable the MP3 track.

Make sure the input of that track (source or input on left hand side) is the THR10 and hit record and off you go.
  • Thanks ever so much for the comments and advice - this is a truly helpful and supportive group.  

Been plugging away at it for a few days now and am making good progress. I have been able to import a backing track and then add some guitar tracks and I have to say it's a wonderful programme - It can even make my amatuerish fumblings sounds remotely proficient.

If anyone else is struggling with this then my advice? You really need to take your time and read carefully through the full Operation Manual (all 360 pages!). The Quick Start guide is not worth bothering with if you have no previous experience or knowledge in this field. 

All the best & thanks again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7351
    edited June 2014
    Go on then - send me the link to the simpletons guide for Cubase excittation 
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

How to register your version of Cubase 

Go to registration by clicking on link below and log-in 

Create a USER name and PASSWORD

Now click on Add software, then Cubase AI, then Select Cubase AI6 (or relevant version)

Enter your Soft E- Licenser number 

This is found in elicenser program / elicenser control centre and consists of 2 x 10 digits 

If this license number is not shown below hard drive icon (rare occurance) then download eLC Installation helper.exe program from link below and select RUN 

Code should now be displayed 

After entering Soft elicenser code you should now see Activation code on screen

Copy and paste this code into 'Enter Activation Code' found in elicenser Control Center

Now click on download license

Forgotten Password

If you cannot log-in because you have forgotten your user name or password 

Click on forgot access data or click on link below 

Now type in your email address and request new password 

This will be sent to your email address

Cut and paste your new password into log-in details and you should now have access to your account

If you experience trouble with registering Cubase then please check that you are using an up to date browser such as Google Chrome
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Cacofonix said:
    You need to create a new backing track.

So import the MP3 track.  Cool.

Then create a new track for the guitar to record onto.

Then you need to "record enable" that track.  There is a button marked "R", which lights up red if the track is enabled.  Make sure you de-record-enable the MP3 track.

Make sure the input of that track (source or input on left hand side) is the THR10 and hit record and off you go.
    Put the manual in the bin and go to YouTube. I've been a user for years and have Cubase 7.5 and I think I'm a proficient user. I watched a video over the weekend and banged my head on the desk ... I learned about two functions I didn't know existed that will now make my life easier. The power of the internet. The Steinberg forums are great as well ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!