Fuzz - Set at unity gain?

BeexterBeexter Frets: 643

When using fuzz pedals (in particular, Big Muff's & Fuzz Faces), do you set the volume to be at unity gain/ slightly above or do you tend to set the volume on the pedal high to give your amp a proper kicking?

I've got a few different fuzzes and tend to run the volume around unity (Fuzz control maxed on a fuzz face and to taste on a Muff) but that often means running the volumes down quite low. Am I missing a trick?

I s'pose another option would be to run the volume high on the fuzz and turn down the amp.

How do you use yours?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I run it at unity but with a lot of other pedals in the mix.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 935
    Smidge above really. Would like to kick it more, but I'm in a 2 guitar band, and I'm always moaning at my oppo to turn down, so I have to practice what I preach.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1580
    I find I have to have my fuzzes running super hot to blow through the mix...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    I set them wherever they sound right in the mix… which is usually hotter than the clean sound, but not hot enough to push the amp into overdrive, since that tends not to sound good normally. I do like that sound for Neil Young impressions but it doesn't work for my kind of music really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ForgeForge Frets: 431
    A bit above the clean sound...the calm before the storm kind of thing...
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 383
    Maxed out, whenever possible. It doesn't work for every application but I'd sooner turn the fuzz control down a little. Try it out!