Interesting overdrive recommendations?

What's Hot
kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
Not after a tubescreamer or any of that transparent nonsense.

Current faves are Zinky True Grit, EHX Double Muff and DBA Interstellar Overdriver.

The only thing I have on the audition list so far is the Minifooger. Anyone have any suggestions for a gritty, slightly fuzzy overdrive for some alt rock goodness?

Cheers

Kelvin
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The germanium 4 muff is pretty nifty, the overdrive is fairly clean with low output pickups but can push an amp as most other boosts would. PGS have a demo :)

Or this http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/16595/first-expensive-tubescreamer-that-justifies-cost/p1 it's a tubescreamer, but not as you know it :)
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    I'd forgotten about the Palisades. Is there a UK release for it yet? I'm resigned to having to get a HoofReaper at some point.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Frantone Brooklyn if you can find one.

The Double Muff is good but doesn't play nice with other pedals - definitely can't have anything in front of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 938
    I really liked the Way Huge Red Llama clone I once had.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • bigfoot engineering king fuzz, thunderpup or if you want something super wild the octo-puss prime
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    "gritty, slightly fuzzy overdrive"

You've just described the Crowther Hotcake perfectly
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    Liquid Sunshine?

The Hot Cake gets progressively nastier and weirder as you turn the gain up.
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Skreddy Screwdriver - can get fuzzy with higher settings on the gain & input gain - loosely based on fuzz face I believe..
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    I'd forgotten about the Palisades. Is there a UK release for it yet? I'm resigned to having to get a HoofReaper at some point.
    But the Palisades is a Tubescreamer with lots of options which is what you said you didn't want.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    Plimsoul
    OD-3
    BD-2

Red ones are better. 
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    fuzzy overdrive, sounds like a rat is in order!
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Thanks for the recommendations chaps. I've not tried any of these. A night of ebay trawling awaits.
    Kelvin
  • Ooo boss os-2.

Or the newer boss od1-x or ds1-x?
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 328
    For fuzzy, gritty overdrive definitely check out the moonphase moon driver
    Ooo boss os-2.
    Nah, that's overdrive/distortion - not fuzzy or gritty.

I have an odd story about those. Years ago I bought one from the bargain bin at a large shop for a tenner - it looked like it had been run over by a tank and the switch didn't work, but I guessed it would be fixable. It was… I used it for a couple of years and it always sounded great - very full and open-sounding, quite amplike. It was actually the pedal which made me realise I prefered 'distortion' to 'overdrive' since my favourite sounds were all to the Dist side of the dial.

Then I got a valve amp with an overdrive channel, and thought I didn't need the pedal, so I sold it. But soon I missed it, so I went and bought another one - new, since I knew I liked it already. I never even tried it in the shop. Mistake… it didn't sound like my old one. Since then I've bought about three or four more, and they all sound the same, not like the old one - too smooth and boxy, or too hollow and buzzy, or both at the same time.

So was the first one an "early" version? They don't appear to have ever been different, there doesn't seem to have been a 'Made In Japan' version or anything (there was no label on the old one though, so I can't tell for sure). Or was it broken in some other way that I didn't realise? Or modded? I'll never know now...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Oh man, great story though!

It's an odd one, I quite like it. I put it full distortion then back it into OD a little bit until it's a bit clearer sounding. It is a little boxy sounding, but not like a tubescreamer can be.

The others I've not tried - but they sound really interesting. A digital drive pedal!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3411

Original Hermida Zendrive is pretty versatile and marries up well wih both higher and lower gain pedals..

In retrospect, I really liked the Way Huge Pork Loin for low gain stuff over and above the Liquid Sunshine V.3 and Xotic RC Boost - it does a nice fuzz approximation too and very pedal friendly. Why did I let it go? Because it was bigger than your average pedal.

Oh man, great story though!

It's an odd one, I quite like it. I put it full distortion then back it into OD a little bit until it's a bit clearer sounding. It is a little boxy sounding, but not like a tubescreamer can be.
    I used to set mine with all the knobs at half past one, so if yours doesn't sound like Neil Young like that then it's not like my old one :).

The others I've not tried - but they sound really interesting. A digital drive pedal!
    Hmmm… I like the idea of digital distortion that doesn't sound like analogue distortion, but I'm not convinced of the point otherwise. It's very rare to find any that sounds as good either. (Although I'll make an honourable exception for the 'Natural Overdrive' setting on the ME-50, which is close.)

• ICBM said:
    Oh man, great story though!

I used to set mine with all the knobs at half past one, so if yours doesn't sound like Neil Young like that then it's not like my old one :).

Hmmm… I like the idea of digital distortion that doesn't sound like analogue distortion, but I'm not convinced of the point otherwise. It's very rare to find any that sounds as good either. (Although I'll make an honourable exception for the 'Natural Overdrive' setting on the ME-50, which is close.)
    Definitely not a Neil Young sound.  Actually, it's sort of... Tame in comparison (though most stuff is).  It's what I used to use for playing songs like Muscle Museum, where the chorus would have massive distorted bass, fuzzy guitar chords and clean arpeggios - a close approximation (of sorts) was the OS-2 and playing the arpeggios, OD enough for clarity, distorted enough for bigness and fuzziness.

The Boss Adaptive Distortion is interesting enough - and doesn't sound analog to me (or rather, doesn't need to).  Never used an ME-50 but I've used the boss Dyna Drive which I really liked, and is also digital (though it's probably based on the same tech in the Roland Cube which you're not a fan of). It's, as it states, very dynamic - gain up quite high can still be super clean or mega distorted, like an exaggeration of a valve amp.

Anyway, here is the adaptive distortion :) check the rhythm sound on the neck pickup after the big solo demo, it's pretty cool (to my ears).  And I know I have quite funny ideas of what sounds good and what doesn't... ;)