Hiding Off Topic *and* subcategories?

What's Hot
I've hidden Off Topic from the 'Discussions' view...any idea how I can do the same for a subcategory within Off Topic?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Can I ask how you hide Off Topic (or any topic for that matter)?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You seem to be able to do it for any 'top level' categories.

Go to 'Home'...hover over the category that you want to exclude...a cog should appear...click it and select 'Hide'.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    I just want to hide the Corona virus sub forum - how can I do this?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    mrkb said:
    You can’t.

You mustn’t.

You have to read it until you get thoroughly sick of it.  When we reach peak sickness, your body then auto-ignores it (or dies trying, but best not to mention that).

That helps build the herd immunity.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Go to the forum “homepage”.

On the list of categories, hover over Off Topic.  A black cogwheel should appear.  Click on it, and you can select “hide”.  That removes threads in that section from the Recent Discussions view, and from the list of sections that you see anywhere other than the homepage.

I can’t remember whether you can select individual sub-cats to hide/show (that might depend on how the subcat was defined when it was created).

Doing the above on a phone or tablet is a pita.  Use a PC.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    TTony said:
    mrkb said:
    You can’t.

You mustn’t.

You have to read it until you get thoroughly sick of it.  When we reach peak sickness, your body then auto-ignores it (or dies trying, but best not to mention that).

That helps build the herd immunity.
    I’ve already got bored of the idiotic postings on them but I’m not immune. I like Off Topic, I hate Politics and Corona virus, seems I can’t have the former without the latter.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    As much as it was illuminating to see the initial explanations to my query on the Uk's approach to keeping the schools open, I was aghast to see the argument that followed. After a quick panic (beyond my own C-panic and the killing of my Leslie), the good men at tFB showed me how to hide all the notifications. When I decided to hide the FXsales in an effort to curb spending due to the Virus lack of work, I accidentally switched on notifications to all my threads; whereas in the past I intentionally starred (bookmarked) them.

With Tony's instructions, I will follow your tactics and remove the coronavirus threads too. off topic had long ago been deleted.
    Hang on, if the off topic is already hidden, I can't see the subcategories on the homepage.
    How do I get back the hidden categories?
    The homepage shows everything, including categories that you’ve hidden (there has to be a page like that, so you can choose to unhide them in future if you wanted to).

Cats / subcats that you hide are excluded from the Recent Discussions view, and from the list of cats that you see elsewhere on the forum.

By “homepage” I mean the page you see if you click on the tFB logo, top left of any page (as long as you’re not on the mobile site).
    TTony said:
    The homepage shows everything, including categories that you’ve hidden (there has to be a page like that, so you can choose to unhide them in future if you wanted to).

Cats / subcats that you hide are excluded from the Recent Discussions view, and from the list of cats that you see elsewhere on the forum.

By “homepage” I mean the page you see if you click on the tFB logo, top left of any page (as long as you’re not on the mobile site).
    Strange, not the case for me: clicked on the FB logo, top left as you said, (i'm on my mac) and categories are missing. for example there are only four categories in the Classifieds.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    mrkb said:

You have to 'unhide' Off Topic and then 'hide' it again - the new Off Topic subforum will then also be hidden. Forum software quirk.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    TTony said:
    mrkb said:
    You can’t.

You mustn’t.

That helps build the nerd community.
    TFTFY
  • mrkb said:

You have to 'unhide' Off Topic and then 'hide' it again - the new Off Topic subforum will then also be hidden. Forum software quirk.
    Yes!
    TTony said:

But the homepage doesn't do that, at least not for me. I went there via either the FB logo or clicking on home beneath the logo. Scroll down and I can see the categories, not the ones that are hidden. I'm not on the mobile site.

https://imgur.com/gDuQKao
    On the homepage.

LHS, just above the “who’s online” list, see the “category filter” section?

1.  Set that to “all categories”.  That should then list all the cats/sub-cats on the home page.
    2.  Then do the hover/cogwheel/unhide thing to show the cats that you can’t currently see (and want to).
    3.  Jobs a good ‘un.

:)
    ^^^^ @lukedlb ;
    TTony said:
    On the homepage.

LHS, just above the “who’s online” list, see the “category filter” section?

1.  Set that to “all categories”.  That should then list all the cats/sub-cats on the home page.
    2.  Then do the hover/cogwheel/unhide thing to show the cats that you can’t currently see (and want to).
    3.  Jobs a good ‘un.

:)
    Thank you, Tony. I now see all the categories in their heavenly glory.