MIJ Columbus N77 Project

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8028
A friend has recently acquired a ‘70’s MIJ Columbus N77...

https://i.imgur.com/JXW1B9b.jpg

Unfortunately, it’s a bit worse for wear:

https://i.imgur.com/QTrGGHq.jpg

I said I’d see what I could do with it...

Right...

*The pics are after a damn good clean - it was filthy.

*It’s had a...errr...hard life.

*The body is ply (no surprise there!)

*The truss rod is going to be entertaining  - this has obviously been an issue for some time as it’s well chewed-up (and quite a bit of wood in the area has been chiselled away for access). 

*The neck has some ‘interesting’ relief. Dropping the saddle height immediately results in issues re. fretting out at the bottom end. Time to adjust the tru...ah, bugger.

*Almost every screw head is also nicely chewed.

*As you can see, all pots, etc need cleaning and the wiring checking.

More fun-filled updates to follow ASAP. :open_mouth: 

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeilNeil Frets: 3606
    There's some work there H.

A friend of mine had an Avon version of that same bass back in the '70's.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Great project, I bet getting the truss rod sorted will be fun!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    My first bass was one of them; I bought it from Laskys (it was in the window next to fridges and other household appliances).

It wasn't a bad bass, but it was rather heavy.

I replaced it with a Rickenbacker (which I've still got).
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8028
    paulnb57 said:
    Great project, I bet getting the truss rod sorted will be fun!
    Indeed. :open_mouth: 

I dare say @ICBM or @SteveRobinson will be along sooner or later with some sage advice! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27419
    I had one of those for a few years.  Bought it s/h in ~1982/3 IIRC.

Don't remember it being plywood, though that's really just based on my memory of its weight.  Seemed like a decent enough instrument at the time.

Bit ordinary for you though H??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7005
    tFB Trader
    The truss rod might be okay.

Use a stud extractor to remove the nut. Clean and grease the threads then try a new nut.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Fretboard looks good, definitely worth saving.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    Some of them were laminated. Some were spreads of solid, unsightly, brown wood. In either case, the front and back of the body sported veneer facings to look right through the 'burst.

The pickups resemble Duncan SJB-3 Quarter Pound types. In the worst case scenario, those could be sold to recoup some of the cost involved in acquiring the Columbus.

In the last resort, you could gain access to the truss rod by separating the entire fingerboard and binding from the maple neck.

ICBM will probably inform us that the most valuable part of the entire instrument is the RIC style tone control knob.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TuffNutTuffNut Frets: 1
    A friend has recently acquired a ‘70’s MIJ Columbus N77...

https://i.imgur.com/JXW1B9b.jpg

Unfortunately, it’s a bit worse for wear:

https://i.imgur.com/QTrGGHq.jpg

I said I’d see what I could do with it...

Right...

*The pics are after a damn good clean - it was filthy.

*It’s had a...errr...hard life.

*The body is ply (no surprise there!)

*The truss rod is going to be entertaining  - this has obviously been an issue for some time as it’s well chewed-up (and quite a bit of wood in the area has been chiselled away for access). 

*The neck has some ‘interesting’ relief. Dropping the saddle height immediately results in issues re. fretting out at the bottom end. Time to adjust the tru...ah, bugger.

*Almost every screw head is also nicely chewed.

*As you can see, all pots, etc need cleaning and the wiring checking.

More fun-filled updates to follow ASAP. :open_mouth: 

I used to have the same guitar! My dad gave it to my brother when he finished playing, when my brother bought his first decent bass he gave the Columbus to me, when I didn't want it any longer I gave it to my nephew. It's been upgraded with Wilkinson pickups as the bridge Pu stopped working. It weighs a shitting ton! Dates from the 70s

Rough handling by the same gorilla who resoldered the output conductors.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72214

The pickups resemble Duncan SJB-3 Quarter Pound types.
    I also suspect they're not the original pickups, and might be something quite good like that... worth finding out if that's repairable. If the break is in the outer layer of the coil, it is.

It's a real shame about the mess around the bridge pickup, but it would at least be hidden by an original-style bridge cover. Other than that it doesn't actually look *too* bad.

The neck pickup volume pot also appears to have been replaced with a linear (B) one. It probably doesn't matter much though.

In the last resort, you could gain access to the truss rod by separating the entire fingerboard and binding from the maple neck.
    If the nut won't come loose with the neck back-bowed as much as you can and a pair of pliers, I would drill a hole cross-wise through it and use a bar to turn it, then a second hole if necessary and repeat. Then just fit a new nut.

ICBM will probably inform us that the most valuable part of the entire instrument is the RIC style tone control knob.
    lol

If it's a real one, you might not be far wrong given the prices RIC charge...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18639
    I really like the funky sunburst, top half half 3 tone, bottom half 2  ;)

Original Fenders are sprayed like that. The red will not be seen beneath the pickguard. Leo Fender wasted nothing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18639
    Original Fenders are sprayed like that. The red will not be seen beneath the pickguard. Leo Fender wasted nothing!
    Now that I didn't know. Cheers :+1: 
    @ICBM - re. drilling through the truss rod...

https://i.imgur.com/lbCkzPj.jpg

As you can just about make out above, someone has already done it once!

As you can just about make out above, someone has already done it once!
    I didn’t spot that - and it must have worked, for at least a quarter turn. You wonder why they didn’t drill another one and keep going...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Can you get an Eezi Out into the end of the truss? If so just replace the 'nut' piece
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

ICBM said:
    Duncan SJB-3 Quarter Pound types.
    worth finding out if that's repairable. If the break is in the outer layer of the coil, it is.
    It will be ... at a price.

If you are going to that much trouble, it would be worth asking the rewinder to introduce a coil tap at approximately 70% of full wind. Ideally, this should be done to both pickups. 

It would be simpler and more cost effective to simply replace the bridge position pickup altogether. I am tempted to suggest the Oil City Overkill. This and the ugliness around the bridge position pickup cavity could be disguised under an "ashtray" cover.

It would be simpler and more cost effective to simply replace the bridge position pickup altogether. I am tempted to suggest the Oil City Overkill. This and the ugliness around the bridge position pickup cavity could be disguised under an "ashtray" cover.
    Just do the job properly and fit an old Japanese 4001 copy bridge pickup, with giant chrome surround :).