Boss PN-2 - what's it worth?

What's Hot
thewiddlerthewiddler Frets: 31
I've a Boss Tremelo / Pan PN-2 that I've had since the mid-90s. Great pedal, particularly for crazy pan effects between two amps. But I'm not using it much now and wondered what the consensus would be on it's value? I remember seeing one on Charing Cross Road for about £140 a few years ago and being taken aback... eBay suggests anything from £60 - £120. Your valuations appreciated...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danodano Frets: 1647
    Maybe £60 tops. I can paypal you this over now if you want.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 938
    edited June 2014
    They have mojo because the old shoegaze bands (like Kevin Shields in My Bloody Valentine use/d them). Something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, so i'd say the ebay completed listing price is a good guide - look at condition and whether it's boxed though. Also day and time of listing end affects price. If you want to sell but want a good price, list it to end of a sunday or weekday evening and set a reserve - although having a reserve price can reduce the final sale price. Or just put it on a high Buy it Now with the option for people to make offers.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I'll give you 65! I love the PN2.

Actually, if you don't want to sell it to me, and want to avoid ebay, you might find a lucrative market over on the Offset Guitars Forum. If you're not already a member you need to have a certain number of posts to list in their classifieds though.

• thewiddlerthewiddler Frets: 31
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for your input all. It appears this is - like so many things guitar - about the people who used the gear as much as the gear itself; this pedal's kudos seems to be derived from the shoegaze MBV and I think some of the 90s Britpop guys too. I suppose it has a "rarity" in that it was mass produced but only for a short period, plus the stereo thing is seriously cool. 

I've had it since I was 15 and it was the first pedal I ever bought so I've a mild sentimental attachment. I think in the present market I might hold onto it and see…  Cursing my brother who threw the box away went I lent it to him a few years ago… That's probably £40-worth of cardboard! 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    It's not just rarity or associations that makes the PN2 desirable The PN2 is an excellent pedal, and really nails the full, on-off-on effect that is hard to find on many other trems. Plus, the stereo output, as you say that gives the panning option is very handy. 
    If you use tremolo in your rig, you should use the PN2 rather than selling it and mnaybe regretting it later.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    dogload said:
    It's not just rarity or associations that makes the PN2 desirable The PN2 is an excellent pedal, and really nails the full, on-off-on effect that is hard to find on many other trems.
    This is something that really pisses me off about a lot of tremolo pedals - they say they do 'hard' or 'square-wave' tremolo, but they don't. Most just do 'quite deep' tremolo.

'Hard' or 'square-wave' tremolo means the signal going from fully on to fully off instantly with no transition, like a switch. (Or fully on to not fully off but to a fixed quieter level, still instantly, if the depth is less than full up.)

The PN-2 is very rare in that it actually does that properly. I probably shouldn't have sold mine either…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thewiddlerthewiddler Frets: 31
    I've a Suhr Jack Rabbit on my board now in place of the PN-2. That does all manner of choppy waveforms and has a lovely clean boost too...