Me pedal board aint big enough!

What's Hot
LewLew Frets: 1657
It was only a matter of time! Now, the question is... do I make one or just throw cash at someone? I want it to be risen at the back rather than flat and for there to be room to keep the PSU and cables underneath. The pedaltrain seems to be the popular option but maybe there are others I'm not aware of? Not sure I trust my woodwork, but how hard can it be?!

What board are you using?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28008
    edited September 2013
    Make one:

Seriously, it's easy and won't cost you any more than a tenner as long as you've got the tools handy.

The one in the thumbnail is my old one (too small, now in the possession of our bassist), the one I made is my current board. Easily fits in the sports bag I use for leads, too.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Based on previous threads (some other forum - Mutant Redear or something) the problem with DIY pedal boards is having something to put them in : case, padded bag, whatever. You can end up spending almost as much as just buying that so probably worth identifying a likely case before getting your saws out.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited September 2013
    Based on previous threads (some other forum - Mutant Redear or something) the problem with DIY pedal boards is having something to put them in : case, padded bag, whatever. You can end up spending almost as much as just buying that so probably worth identifying a likely case before getting your saws out.
    So you make one with a lift off lid. I did one years ago, sadly my peerless design was let down by some shoddy manufacturing. Then Diago came out with pretty much what I was aiming for. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2768
    I made my tiny board by popping into b&q - buying a cheap flightcase style toolbox/briefcase and then grabbing a piece of ply and asking the chap with a huge saw machine to cut it down to the same size as the case.
    I painted it black and added some rubber feet and a pair of cupboard handles - cost about £20 including the case and took minutes to make.  Approx 30 x 40 inside the "handles"
    It's not as sophisticateed as the one DS made but it'll do the job...   if you did something similar you could put a couple of runners underneath and cut some slots for cables.

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w617/johnpinchin2/null_zpseba184b4.jpg

Or just buy a pedaltrain type thing although I'm sure there is an ikea shelf people use to make a similar type of board.

edited September 2013
    Based on previous threads (some other forum - Mutant Redear or something) the problem with DIY pedal boards is having something to put them in : case, padded bag, whatever. You can end up spending almost as much as just buying that so probably worth identifying a likely case before getting your saws out.
    Aye - and when you make one with a lid, it's often too damn heavy ;)

That's why I designed mine with fairly precise dimensions - it's exactly the right size to fit in my lead bag.

EDIT: I should add - if you're going to make one like mine, then make sure that the support in the middle of the shelf is at least half an inch shorter than the other two. That'll let you route cables in a neater fashion without them getting in the way of the pedals (especially if you have pedals with rear-mounted jacks). I keep meaning to get the saw out and sort it on mine, but never seem to get round to it...
    <space for hire>
  • That video is ace, digitalscream, properly had me laughing at times.  Nice work on the board too, will be nicking a couple of the ideas from that.

I've given you my first "wisdom"
  • John_P;25298" said:
    I made my tiny board by popping into b&q - buying a cheap flightcase style toolbox/briefcase and then grabbing a piece of ply and asking the chap with a huge saw machine to cut it down to the same size as the case.

I painted it black and added some rubber feet and a pair of cupboard handles - cost about £20 including the case and took minutes to make.  Approx 30 x 40 inside the "handles"

It's not as sophisticateed as the one DS made but it'll do the job...   if you did something similar you could put a couple of runners underneath and cut some slots for cables.

Or just buy a pedaltrain type thing although I'm sure there is an ikea shelf people use to make a similar type of board.
    This, or if you need bigger I got a cheap secondhand keyboard flight case. The I realised I didn't use/need half the FX and went back to a bit of ply in a toolbox.
    edited September 2013
    the_jaffa said:
    That video is ace, digitalscream, properly had me laughing at times.  Nice work on the board too, will be nicking a couple of the ideas from that.

I've given you my first "wisdom"
    Thanks, but it wasn't supposed to be that funny :D

For what it's worth, a few people have built boards based on my rough design now - everybody seems to think it's much harder than it is. Loads of people have got a bit closer at gigs and suddenly realised that it's gig tape holding the edges in, and then had a "D'oh!" moment, saying that they couldn't think of a way to finish the edges on theirs.
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    I have a Diago board. I think I'm gonna drill a shit ton of holes in it for weight relief. I've already cut the sides up so I can get cables into my pedals where the jacks are lower than the side bits.

I want a pedal-train style one, where the cables can all be hidden underneath it, but I don't want to fork out for the hardcase version.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited September 2013
    Cheers dudes. Might have a go - might throw cash at it.

Anyone seen this one? Looks elegant.  

• If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket then these guys seem to make some nice looking boards!

Not sure how good your woodwork skills are to try one like that out?  I know I wouldn't trust mine, although trying to make a vintage burst  effect on tweed could be fun.

I'm considering trying to mod a diago board with a false angled base to hide the wiring underneath.  It's not deep enough to allow a power supply to be hidden under it unfortunately.

• Lew said:
    Cheers dudes. Might have a go - might throw cash at it.

Anyone seen this one? Looks elegant.  
    Elegant, but not cheap...

<space for hire>
    No that much money I'm afraid @nickb_boy

Came across these on another forum, pricing seems fair for what you get - http://trailertrashpedalboards.com/proseries-boards
  • John_P said:

A yamaha dg stomp in the corner there if im not mistaken, i used to have one of those. Surprisingly good pedal.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2768
    A yamaha dg stomp in the corner there if im not mistaken, i used to have one of those. Surprisingly good pedal.

Well spotted - for the money they go for, I can't imagine ever selling it - still sounds fantastic and imho still holds it's own against the newer generation of multieffects/modelling pedals :)
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    I use a Pedaltrain Jr. I messed around with a Gorm shelf board but the Pedaltrain, despite being pricey is just worth it.
    Trailertrash quoted me near enough as much as the board would cost in shipping so that's a no!
  • Drew_fx said:
    I have a Diago board. I think I'm gonna drill a shit ton of holes in it for weight relief. I've already cut the sides up so I can get cables into my pedals where the jacks are lower than the side bits.

I want a pedal-train style one, where the cables can all be hidden underneath it, but I don't want to fork out for the hardcase version.
    FWIW the PT Jr size soft case is actually really good. I went from a Showman to a PYJr after much humming and hahhing this time last year. I wouldn't go back- having the wah on te floor is totally worth it for having one more thig you can sling over a shoulder for load in/out, and the weight difference is fantastic
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Not sure if you're come across these boards before:
    I saw some of their stuff on eBay but have no experience with them .  They are angled, have jack sockets and can keep the power supply hidden (could even have a power socket fitted to keep it really neat )

The only problem is they would probably still work out more expensive than a Pedaltrain and heavier.
  • I have a Pedal Train Junior and a couple of Diago ones. The pedal train is best. Psu underneath and pretty light weight. Even the mid sized Diago one is mentally heavy for a posh wooden box.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd