Composition Challenge 29

What's Hot

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    Is this still open? The first post says 17 June July but thats not a real month :)

Only I have something that I think I can work up into an entry.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    Is this still open? The first post says 17 June July but thats not a real month

Only I have something that I think I can work up into an entry.

Yes the 17th July. I put a strike through June because it was put back for a month, but the strike disappeared. Anyway I've edited it to just say July now.

Any entries gratefully received.

It's not a competition.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I just need to finish mine which I will do this weekend.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Just under a week to go. Deadline is midnight 17th July 2020.

It's not a competition.
  • Done and sent
    Done and sent

Added to playlist. That makes 3 entries so far.

It's not a competition.
    Entry closes midnight 17th July.

Also, a quick shout out to @Fretwired and @PolarityMan as you expressed an interest earlier in this thread.

It's not a competition.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    I'm resting my ears before final mixing and mastering. Should make the deadline okay
    Entry sent
    Entry sent

Added to playlist.
    Good attention to detail. You've even done the authentic "And Justice For All" mix :)

It's not a competition.
    Entry sent

Added to playlist.
    Good attention to detail. You've even done the authentic "And Justice For All" mix :)

Is the bass really that quiet? On my set up I can hear all the "glaringly out of time but correct notes which is not what a bassist should be doing"
    edited July 2020
    Entry sent

Added to playlist.
    Good attention to detail. You've even done the authentic "And Justice For All" mix

Is the bass really that quiet? On my set up I can hear all the "glaringly out of time but correct notes which is not what a bassist should be doing"

The track sounds great but the bass guitar sounds quiet through my monitors and headphones. I genuinely assumed that was an intentional stylistic decision because it still works. There's bottom end from the kick.

Maybe it's best to get a second opinion because my home recording system (and my ears) are far from perfect. For all I know, maybe I'm putting too much bass guitar in my track levels.

It's not a competition.
    FWIW when I ask for second opinions I always get the comment that the bass is too quiet.

I think I do have a tendency to put it low on the mic as I'm not confident as far as bass goes. I think I'll send a remixed version and commit to a try at the thumping bass of Cliff Burton. Probably more Top Shop than Burton 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5358
    Take this with an excavation of salt, because I don't know WTF I'm talking about, but I think it works. The bass doesn't stand out - I have to actively listen for it, to isolate it - but it definitely adds an aggressive under-rumble that would be missed if it was absent.
  • Should I explain my entry here or in the voting thread? 
    Should I explain my entry here or in the voting thread? 

It's up to you. You can post here then copy and paste to the voting thread. But the voting thread should be up within a few days. I might extend the deadline a little to allow @Fretwired to finish if that's OK with everyone.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Should I explain my entry here or in the voting thread? 

It's up to you. You can post here then copy and paste to the voting thread. But the voting thread should be up within a few days. I might extend the deadline a little to allow @Fretwired to finish if that's OK with everyone.

Cool with me
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
    edited July 2020
    My entry is really a sketch or outline of a song. Inspired by a walk to Capo Rosso on Corsica. A high peak on the edge of the Mediterranean sea. The most stunning scenery I have ever seen, looking down the sheer cliff faces to the deep blue sea. It had rained earlier and the smell of the vegetation, the herbs, called ‘maquis’ was overpowering. My tune was inspired by this place of dramatic beauty and tranquility, not so much the native music of the area. I used 7th chords learnt from a course by Antoine Michaud. 

Ok much less effort went into this then other entries. It’s a first take, one take recording, a mic’d up boss katana recording my pedalboard, into a focusrite itrack and garageband. The delay is a Walrus Audio Arp 87, the reverb an Alexander Pedals Sky Fi, the tremolo an OBNE Whitecap. This track definitely needs more layers, drones and pads. Suggestions and feedback welcome.

To be honest I’m quite chuffed to have finally got a song recorded. I do come up with many ideas but never get them recorded. I hope this will be a positive step to address this failure.
    My entry is really a sketch or outline of a song. Inspired by a walk to Capo Rosso on Corsica. A high peak on the edge of the Mediterranean sea. The most stunning scenery I have ever seen, looking down the sheer cliff faces to the deep blue sea. It had rained earlier and the smell of the vegetation, the herbs, called ‘maquis’ was overpowering. My tune was inspired by this place of dramatic beauty and tranquility, not so much the native music of the area. I used 7th chords learnt from a course by Antoine Michaud. 

Ok much less effort went into this then other entries. It’s a first take, one take recording, a mic’d up boss katana recording my pedalboard, into a focusrite itrack and garageband. The delay is a Walrus Audio Arp 87, the reverb an Alexander Pedals Sky Fi, the tremolo an OBNE Whitecap. This track definitely needs more layers, drones and pads. Suggestions and feedback welcome.

To be honest I’m quite chuffed to have finally got a song recorded. I do come up with many ideas but never get them recorded. I hope this will be a positive step to address this failure.
    Thanks for that. Great to hear the inspiration, something about the musical approach and some technical details. It gives me the idea that those are facets to be requested as background info for future challenges, so we can share and learn.

Also good to hear it's a spur to see an idea through, get it recorded and put it out there for feedback, which is exactly why I do this.

It's not a competition.
    If it's OK with everyone I'd like to extend the deadline just a few days, as another entry is imminent.

I'll close things when that entry arrives.
    It's not a competition.