For those who are anxious

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 21621
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BodBod Frets: 628
    Thank you Tony.  I saw the Stephen Fry bit earlier and it's all good advice.

I suffer with a mild anxiety disorder.  Medication usually keeps a lid on it, but this is becoming an extreme situation, and I admit that I'm struggling.  My anxiety isn't really about the virus itself, it's about the decline of society (which, as I write that, looks really stupid) and food supplies.  All the panic buying has me really concerned, but I'm hoping things will settle down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 21621
    @Bod ;

after watching and posting the Stephen Fry video, I thought some more.

Lee has now stickied the “phone a Fretboard friend” thread.  Feel free to watch that thread - I’ll start setting something up, to make it happen, tomorrow.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 551
    Thankyou TTony I hadn't seen that, having to avoid media as much as I can now.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 6047
    I’ve stickied this one
    Known here as Old Misery Guts or the Big Bad Classified's Sheriff. Also guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 2554
    It's a good tip but I don't understand why anyone is anxious.  I get to stay at home with my family surrounded by my own things and loved ones, no commute, a lazy lay in each day compared to normal, and work remotely without tons of people on my back able to play guitar in my breaks or whenever I want.  It's unreal. 
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 20626
    edited March 2020
    It's a good tip but I don't understand why anyone is anxious.  I get to stay at home with my family surrounded by my own things and loved ones, no commute, a lazy lay in each day compared to normal, and work remotely without tons of people on my back able to play guitar in my breaks or whenever I want.  It's unreal. 
    It's about perspective. My wife's incredibly anxious about it - specifically, about getting it. That's because she's very asthmatic, and she caught swine flu (in 2009?) then spent six weeks barely being able to get enough oxygen into her lungs, and broke two ribs twice through the coughing. C-19 looks like it would likely be worse than that for her.

I'm personally not anxious at all for myself, but I understand why she (and others in her position) would be. For a lot of people, it's not just a handy, relaxing break from normal life.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 21621
    @relic245 ; has shared these resources too - thanks to him for his generosity

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/176813/worry-and-anxiety-free-resources#latest
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 1778
    Firstly although I don't suffer from any anxiety issues myself I find your flippant comment above to be insensitive to what is a life threatening condition for many people. May I suggest you use your newly found spare time to read up about what anxiety really is and how it consumes, ruins and indeed ends lives. And as they say...I hope it stays fine for you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3818
    :( Anxiety is so poorly understood. Both my wife and daughter suffer quite badly - wife on sertraline and daughter on fluoxetine.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 17739
    Strat54 said:
    Firstly although I don't suffer from any anxiety issues myself I find your flippant comment above to be insensitive to what is a life threatening condition for many people. May I suggest you use your newly found spare time to read up about what anxiety really is and how it consumes, ruins and indeed ends lives. And as they say...I hope it stays fine for you. 
    Not to mention worries about pay cuts and layoffs. I'm not personally not too worried about the virus itself, but anxiety around what the knock-on effects will be over the coming weeks and months? Absolutely.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3818
    I'm worried about the transition from lockdown to "something else". I have no confidence that the government will put measures in place to protect those at risk, while we move towards relaxed restrictions.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 14307
    Strat54 said:
    Not to mention worries about pay cuts and layoffs. I'm not personally not too worried about the virus itself, but anxiety around what the knock-on effects will be over the coming weeks and months? Absolutely.

Exactly.

I'm currently serving notice on a job and moving to a new one so I've been waiting for the call to tell me the offer is withdrawn.
    In that situation I think anxiety is well justified.

Thankfully I've just been told I can start, but unfortunately I'll be taking a 30% pay cut until lockdown ends so it's not sunshine and kittens in my house.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1517
    It's about perspective. My wife's incredibly anxious about it - specifically, about getting it. That's because she's very asthmatic, and she caught swine flu (in 2009?) then spent six weeks barely being able to get enough oxygen into her lungs, and broke two ribs twice through the coughing. C-19 looks like it would likely be worse than that for her.

I'm personally not anxious at all for myself, but I understand why she (and others in her position) would be. For a lot of people, it's not just a handy, relaxing break from normal life.
    Yeah, my wife is younger than me but has had pneumonia twice before and both times it knocked her for six (think flu, but twice as debilitating), so I'm quite anxious about her getting infected.

• MolemanMoleman Frets: 126
    edited April 2020
    I’m also grateful for the resources posted here. I suffer with anxiety but hadn’t had an anxiety attack for some time until just over a week ago when I returned from a supermarket shopping trip and then started to feel ill. Of course, I’d convinced myself that I had caught the coronavirus (temperature and feeling out of sorts) but it was an attack of anxiety that put me flat out on my back until the next morning. The anxiety came out of nowhere and really knocked me sideways. It just goes to show how powerful the mind is that once I’d convinced myself that I was sick - I started to manifest a temperature.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 3858
    I work with someone who has issues and he went awol on Friday and just dropped in to a team chat yesterday to say he's getting his doctor to up his medication.
  • BodBod Frets: 628
    Moleman said:
    I’m also grateful for the resources posted here. I suffer with anxiety but hadn’t had an anxiety attack for some time until just over a week ago when I returned from a supermarket shopping trip and then started to feel ill. Of course, I’d convinced myself that I had caught the coronavirus (temperature and feeling out of sorts) but it was an attack of anxiety that put me flat out on my back until the next morning. The anxiety came out of nowhere and really knocked me sideways. It just goes to show how powerful the mind is that once I’d convinced myself that I was sick - I started to manifest a temperature.
    Sorry to hear that mate, and I hope you're feeling OK now.  It's the physicality of anxiety that's the weirdest thing.  I can rationalise my fears to a degree, but the physical symptoms remain even though I've got on top of the mental side of it.  Sometimes I can feel anxious without even knowing one, which then prompts me to search for reasons.  It's messed up.

I've had slight anxiety mixed with rage after my visit to the supermarket on Saturday.  I was queueing outside with other customers waiting to be let in, when the couple in front of me vaped and covered everybody behind in a vape shitcloud.  Selfish w@*kers. 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 2554
    Hope everyone's feeling a little more relaxed after the lovely bank holiday weekend and warm weather.    I too hope society doesn't decline to the point of violence and survival.  I'm a farmer not a fighter. 
  • MolemanMoleman Frets: 126
    Bod said:
    Moleman said:
    Sorry to hear that mate, and I hope you're feeling OK now.  It's the physicality of anxiety that's the weirdest thing.  I can rationalise my fears to a degree, but the physical symptoms remain even though I've got on top of the mental side of it.  Sometimes I can feel anxious without even knowing one, which then prompts me to search for reasons.  It's messed up.

I've had slight anxiety mixed with rage after my visit to the supermarket on Saturday.  I was queueing outside with other customers waiting to be let in, when the couple in front of me vaped and covered everybody behind in a vape shitcloud.  Selfish w@*kers. 
    Apologies that I never responded to your kind concern. Yes, I am feeling physically and mentally good but there remains a strange air of unreality about this time. It’s as if all normal outside life just somehow ‘stopped’ a few weeks ago. Other than that I’m now resolved to not leave the house if I can help it for the duration of the current crisis (this is purely due to my anxiety attack). I know that this is going to make me out to be a damn wimp and a wet lettuce but there it is. We are also super fortunate people to have a garden which I have always taken for granted and ignored - never again! Other than getting a bit ratty/snappy to my wonderful wife (and then feeling guilty and having to apologise regularly) but that’s nothing unusual.
  • My partner has anxiety issues anyway, and she's starting to become quite paranoid - concerned about hackers accessing our data as we work from home, fear I'll catch the virus and die, paranoid that she is being spied on via mobile apps.

:(

I'm usually really good with this, but I don't know what to do now. I think we need to discuss with a doctor, but she won't do it because she doesn't want to waste their time and doesn't think it'll help. 
  • Bod said:
    Thank you Tony.  I saw the Stephen Fry bit earlier and it's all good advice.

I suffer with a mild anxiety disorder.  Medication usually keeps a lid on it, but this is becoming an extreme situation, and I admit that I'm struggling.  My anxiety isn't really about the virus itself, it's about the decline of society (which, as I write that, looks really stupid) and food supplies.  All the panic buying has me really concerned, but I'm hoping things will settle down.
    Im with you there Bod fella, suffer badly from depression but meds keep it together.
    My worst moment was taking the dog out in the middle of the afternoon and no one in sight!!!
    Not a car, a bus, pedestrian...it felt like a scene from '28 Days Later'...