Recommend me a good Laptop

What's Hot
The one outlet I have to keep me sane during the inevitable Lockdown will be my Laptop. I don't watch much Telly.

The Laptop I have is OK, but should I need to get another one during Lockdown (hopefully, I'll still be able to get one delivered as the non essential shops will be shut) then what do you recommend?

I use Laptop for internet and Recording Music (Cubase, Guitar Rig etc), I have the N.I KA6 Interface for my Guitar recording and playing.

I don't need one for Gaming.

£500 - £600 range or cheaper if possible, but there may be minimum spec you recommend for Recording etc. I currently have an HP envy.

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5354
    Academic for a few weeks; they're all cleaned out from distribution to retail courtesy of everyone needing to WFH ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    Second hand Apple I’ve been using them since 2007  never had a virus etc and everything just works . 2nd hand is king. There are ex corporate places you can buy them ,mine was called Macbank. I’ve also had the from CEX cash exchange .had loads of apple stuff off them. MacBook Pro, iPads phones lots cheaper and you get a 2 year warranty . It’s fashionable to hate app,e though and say they’re expensive. In the 80s, 90s I used to buy computers to mess with  nowadays I just want them to perform tasks and work 
    I have usually bought lower spec ones on eBay from them too which are cheaper . I can only usually afford a couple hundred for a computer so tend to go for iMacs now 
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 603
    edited March 2020

I just looked at that site and I think I will be getting my 2012 non retina Macbook pro repaired. Looks like it would be worth it compared to the replacement costs. Hope it would be an easy fix. Maybe. Another year or two would be nice!

Actually, those iMacs would be perfectly decent to buy and then use for Linux......................?
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Reconditioned Lenovo Thinkpads, SSD, Windows 10, loads of USB ports, dull to look at but built like tanks, really powerful and £500 would get you a cracking music machine 
  • Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 252
    Second hand Apple I’ve been using them since 2007  never had a virus etc and everything just works . 2nd hand is king. There are ex corporate places you can buy them ,mine was called Macbank. I’ve also had the from CEX cash exchange .had loads of apple stuff off them. MacBook Pro, iPads phones lots cheaper and you get a 2 year warranty . It’s fashionable to hate app,e though and say they’re expensive. In the 80s, 90s I used to buy computers to mess with  nowadays I just want them to perform tasks and work 
    I'm not up to date on mac prices nowadays, 2nd hand that is. 

How do the prices compare to say, new or ebay?
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    the best laptop I have ever had, and still have 3 years old now, is a Dell XPS 13, with a 4k screen. I don't know that that would be 2nd hand but may be in budget. Mine was a grand at the end of 2017, is an i7. It is superb, and has a massive battery life too. Nice alu form factor and very easy to live with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Phil_C said:

I’m not really ,when I get one I just compare what’s available for the price with what I have available . I try and get one that will run the latest Version of the OS within my price range with the most ram and best processor for the price. Good thing with the ex corporate and CEX is you have a comeback/warranty . My current iMac funds El Capitan and is about due for an update but it does what I need at the moment . 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    I had a quick scout yesterday, could have sworn John Lewis Online (you could order at that time) had  Laptops in stock. Thanks for your input anyway, guys.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    Snap said:
    the best laptop I have ever had, and still have 3 years old now, is a Dell XPS 13, with a 4k screen. I don't know that that would be 2nd hand but may be in budget. Mine was a grand at the end of 2017, is an i7. It is superb, and has a massive battery life too. Nice alu form factor and very easy to live with.
    Agree. 16:10 screen would make it perfect. Still very good even so.
  • Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 252
    Phil_C said:

I’m not really ,when I get one I just compare what’s available for the price with what I have available . I try and get one that will run the latest Version of the OS within my price range with the most ram and best processor for the price. Good thing with the ex corporate and CEX is you have a comeback/warranty . My current iMac funds El Capitan and is about due for an update but it does what I need at the moment . 

Cheers
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited March 2020
    Used HP Elitebook 8560w....I have one from 2011 that’s still going strong. Great for recording, and built like a tank. Whatever u go with, I recommend fitting it with an SSD. I have two in mine - one in place of the CD drive to store my big ass sample libraries
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2319
    the dell business laptops are definitely worth a look.   They used to do refurbed ones from the dell site, so you can get some decent discounts on something in vgc.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    edited March 2020
    May I also barge in and ask for some recommendations too? I'm looking for something to run my online guitar lessons and maybe some recording but mainly its to use video calling software. The back n forth with my desktop to the detached garage at the back of my garden is getting a bit taxing now! How little can I get away with spending?
  • Only advice.   Get one with a big SSD for Windows and apps and a large in built disc drive for files.

i have an HP envy and after a couple of years it still boots up in seconds and loads programs and files instantly.  

SSD is a massive leap in performance and productivity.

• May I also barge in and ask for some recommendations too? I'm looking for something to run my online guitar lessons and maybe some recording but mainly its to use video calling software. The back n forth to the detached garage at the back of my garden is getting a bit taxing now! How little can I get away with spending?
    See if your video calling software works on a Chromebook.  If it does, you can get them for not a lot.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    you night get one of these cheap, this is the XPS i was talking about

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/dell-xps-13-2016
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    edited March 2020

May I also barge in and ask for some recommendations too? I'm looking for something to run my online guitar lessons and maybe some recording but mainly its to use video calling software. The back n forth to the detached garage at the back of my garden is getting a bit taxing now! How little can I get away with spending?
    See if your video calling software works on a Chromebook.  If it does, you can get them for not a lot.
    I would be using Zoom and Skype, I don’t know if I can use Spotify as I’ve already three device with it involved.

Also would need to access my teaching notes on google drive and enough USB ports to plug in external webcam and mic.

So I need a step up from an iPad mini but without the logistics of a desktop.