Fx pedals and synths

What's Hot
My synth and my drum machine are both stereo 1/4" jack outs.

My pedals are mostly guitar mono. 

Without taking my board apart,how do I use my fat general compressor pedal with either synth/drum machine?

Thanks for answering :)

Jack
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Do the synth or drum machine not offer a merged mono out if you just use the left output? Worth checking manuals maybe as many do but some don't.  If you're  going to get a mono output from the pedal anyway I'd probably just centre everything in the patches I wanted to use and use a single output even if not.

I guess you may need to keep your output volumes quite low as the comp will be expecting a guitar level signal?
  • jackiojackio Frets: 132
    That's useful, thanks @horse ;

The nord has a workaround I've just found, pan amount to zero and then you can pan full left or full right.

The electron headphones out is +6 dB vs +10dB for the main L+R outputs so I will try that.

I note your output volume concerns and will start with very low machine volumes. 

Thanks again, and please, if anyone knows if I'm making this harder or missing a 'sum to single output' setting then I'd like to know :)

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    You won't damage anything with the levels - just might distort by overdriving the pedals input  / get a lot more compression than youre expecting
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If pedals are digital, then you may get input distortion from overloaded inputs, but if there analogue and especially with true bypass that should happen.

The only downside is your using a mono signal only - which can change how things sound somewhat.  For live I dont think its a problem, mono is just fine really.  If you r recording though - Id just go stereo into you DAW and apply effects there.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    jackio said:
    fat general compressor pedal
    I would begin by reading the compressor pedal manual to determine what compression ratios are offered. 

Given that the FG pedal is intended for guitar, it is unlikely that the ratio, threshold, attack, release and knee settings will be suitable for drums.

You might get better results from a Limiter.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    I would be very surprised if the synth and drum machine don't have a mono output option using one of the jacks. (As usual, it would help to know what models they are, but it seems this is always classified information.)

A very long time ago, a keyboard-playing friend of mine used to run his through a guitar distortion pedal when using an 'electric guitar' patch - it made it about a hundred times more convincing than the usual weedy artificial sound that keyboard designers think sounds like an electric guitar. I think it was a DOD American Metal, but I may be wrong...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Ah thanks for all the help. I tried and it sounded a bit crap but thats because of the setup.

@ICBM yes, point taken. Not classified at all. Nord Stage 3 into Alto mixer into 2 x Adam T7V. Electron model:cycles into same.

So the effected signal was only playing out of 1 speaker with my 'pan hard right' solution from the Nord.
    jackio said:

@ICBM yes, point taken. Not classified at all. Nord Stage 3 into Alto mixer into 2 x Adam T7V. Electron model:cycles into same.
    I'm not familiar with those, but a quick look at the Nord manual seems to indicate that you can use outputs 3 or 4 for mono (p. 53). I can't see anything in the Electron manual though.

At worst, you may need a simple 2-channel external mixer - a Boss LS-2 pedal will do that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 841
    edited March 2020
    Does the Alto have an FX send or monitor out?  if so you could put the stage into the mixer, send a signal from there to the compressor (summed mono probably) and return to a separate channel.  side chain compression for you stage

A quick look at the manual seems to indicate the 4 audio outs are all mono outs though not stereo - ie OP 1/2 is a stereo pair - BUT if you want a summed/mono output you can use output 3 and 4 as mono signals (configured in the system menu - see manual page 53) with the engines stereo OP summed to mono internally first.

Right. Time to be honest here. My understanding is poor. I'm used to 1 guitar, 1 pedal board, 1 lead in and out of pedal board, amp. I can and do route delay etc through the fx loop on my LSS.

What I can't understand is how to get sound out of the NS3, through a guitar fx box which has only 1 in and out jack, then into 2 speakers on stands either side of me. Obviously I can get 1 speaker, but that is a really diminished experience sitting playing.

I had a look at that Boss LS2 and frankly didn't get it. 

Am I trying to do something that just cannot be easily done?

Does the Alto have an FX send or monitor out?  if so you could put the stage into the mixer, send a signal from there to the compressor (summed mono probably) and return to a separate channel.  side chain compression for you stage

No,it's the cheapest most basic I could get. 
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 841
    edited March 2020
    On the NS 3, go into system menu - allocate the engine your using to output 3 OR 4, and specify mono.  Sent it though your stomps into a mono channel of the mixer, pan central.  Youll get the sound from both speakers but it wont have any stereo spread FX.

Whats the model of the mixer?  the cheapest I can find is the ZMX52.  This has one mono channel (with Mic Pre and EQ) and 2 stereo channels (just level and ballance).  All 3 have a mono line input though (use the left IP of ta stereo channel or the jack input of the full strip).  Use that mono input from the OP of the stomp box and youll have both speakers producing sound.

The next up is the ZM862, which does have a send.

I have to ask though - and dont take it the wrong way - but If you dont get the Boss LS2,  how do you cope with a Nord Stage????

Ah right, that's really helpful.Thank you.

It's the ZMX52.

Yes. The NS3......Well music and sounds make sense to me. Tone, layering keyboards, synthesis I can do. I've had to learn a bit but it makes much more sense. The aural feedback that is instant, easy and fun.

Wires, ohms, impedance not so much :) :)
    With the LS-2...

Connect the two outputs of the synth or drum machine to the A and B return jacks. Connect the output jack to the compressor pedal. (If the LS-2 is not on a power supply it also needs a spare patch cable in the input jack to turn the battery on.) Select A+B Mix and turn the pedal on. Use the two knobs to adjust the level - set them the same.

Thank you
  • Ha

Didnt realise your in nottingham.

Me too.  I'd hook up and help out in normal circumstances.  Maybe if you still need some help after were free.