What's Hot

Comments

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    danny_777 said:
    thebreeze said:
    crunchman said:
    allen said:
    Is this a bargain or not? 

https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products/gibson-custom-shop-1959-les-paul-standard-vos-psl-dirty-lemon

£3199

I may have just bought it, but now slightly worried.

That is a bargain.  You could probably get that back second hand.
    I would agree - many nice used R9's for a similar price and more 
    I have to say that was the one that got my attention (I'm not buying anything at the moment though).  I don't want to be a kill-joy (and maybe Mark has an experienced view on it?) but why would a new R9 in one of (in my view the) most desirable finishes be left last in their stock and sold off cheaply?  Is there a fair chance that it didn't play as well as the others or something?  I suppose under the distance-selling regs you can always return it if it isn't right though.
    Probably because it's a bit of a crap top. Really unimpressive from Gibson at £5k or whatever the RRP is these days.

I really like the top - flamey enough to be a "proper" R9 but with a little bit more class. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • allenallen Frets: 699
    Thanks - I thought the same about the top. I have other guitars with wild flame maple tops. I think it looks more 'vintage' with something a little less contrived - and more classy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • allenallen Frets: 699
    Although interestingly enough I've just asked them if I could return it in person if I didn't like it (my girlfriend lives very near to the shop) and they have refused, it's got to be a courier for £50. Seems reasonable until you consider that the DHL man has to go to their shop, so no difference between me going there and the delivery man going there.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    allen said:
    Although interestingly enough I've just asked them if I could return it in person if I didn't like it (my girlfriend lives very near to the shop) and they have refused, it's got to be a courier for £50. Seems reasonable until you consider that the DHL man has to go to their shop, so no difference between me going there and the delivery man going there.
    Tell them you’ll courier it back yourself and then just drop it off with a fake label that says “HERMEEZ” written in crayon? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • allen said:
    Is this a bargain or not? 

https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products/gibson-custom-shop-1959-les-paul-standard-vos-psl-dirty-lemon

£3199

I may have just bought it, but now slightly worried.
    That's a great weight for a R9 in my opinion.you done well

• hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1410
    edited March 2020
    allen said:
    Thanks - I thought the same about the top. I have other guitars with wild flame maple tops. I think it looks more 'vintage' with something a little less contrived - and more classy.
    Completely agree. Lovely top on that - looks like a genuine vintage example. Some of the really crazy flame tops just make me feel sick  s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    Nice, cheers for the heads up, and good on GV, it's going to be hard to shift stuff in these trying times.

Just ordered a RC-3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Yikes.  I seem to have suddenly bought a Fender Tonemaster Twin Reverb!  £743 was too tempting to ignore  :)
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Trude said:
    Yikes.  I seem to have suddenly bought a Fender Tonemaster Twin Reverb!  £743 was too tempting to ignore  :)
    That’ll come in really handy for all the gigs you’re doing!
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    If the volume is anything like the original I hope you've budgeted for new windows.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Trude said:

With the volume of a Twin Reverb, he'll be able to do the gigs from home and everyone will still be able to hear him.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    Anyone else getting an error message : 3067 clientipaddress is too long when they try and check out?
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    Has any body received any goods from GV yet? Just wondered how quick their delivery is in the current crisis
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    crunchman said:
    Trude said:

With the volume of a Twin Reverb, he'll be able to do the gigs from home and everyone will still be able to hear him.
    Whilst that's definitely true, I still remember my old TRRI as being one of the nicest sounding home volume amps I ever had.  This one also goes down to 1W, so I can use that setting to unwind after I've used full power to kill all wildlife within a mile radius of my house.

Trading feedback here
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Trude said:
    crunchman said:
    Trude said:

Whilst that's definitely true, I still remember my old TRRI as being one of the nicest sounding home volume amps I ever had.  This one also goes down to 1W, so I can use that setting to unwind after I've used full power to kill all wildlife within a mile radius of my house.
    Don’t suppose it can kill a virus too can it ;) 
    Trude said:
    I actually just got a 5-star review from a client for a gig which got cancelled last week (through the Encore online agent service), so I think that means I actually still am gigging in some strange alternate reality somewhere.

Trading feedback here
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Trude said:
    crunchman said:
    Trude said:

Don’t suppose it can kill a virus too can it ;) 
    Until either Ted Nugent or Steve Jones gets sick, I'll assume it does

Trading feedback here
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1029
    Has any body received any goods from GV yet? Just wondered how quick their delivery is in the current crisis
    I bought a pedal yesterday and its out for delivery to me in Glasgow today - thats pretty fast :)

edited March 2020
    I bought a pedal yesterday and its out for delivery to me in Glasgow today - thats pretty fast

That is good. Royal Mail aren’t doing so good then. I bought a pedal and was sent out on Tuesday for next day delivery using RM and still waiting for it. 

EDIT: As soon as I posted that comment a knock at the door happened and it arrived lol. Weird huh?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    I'm finding UPS are okay at the moment - We have had a note to effectively say there might be delays in certain depots due to staff issues - But it is effectively an adhoc situation - I believe there are delays for overseas by maybe a day again subject to location

But I posted a comment yesterday on FB that our local DHL and DPD driver yesterday were inundated with deliveries - One said it was like Black Friday all over again - He had a 147 unique delivery addresses yesterday on his patch - Remember some of this is rural village deliveries, so he effectively said it won't all get done - Remember they have to also undertake their regular collections, from factories/warehouses etc around 3pm ish, get back to their own depot, in order that today's collections are moved onto the central hub, for distribution to your town, for tomorrows delivery