Load of Nonsense?

What's Hot
So - I am going to make use of this time to put new pups in one of them. 
It's a T386 form Eastman  - really like it. 

Some people say - upgrade the electronics, the pots, the switches, the caps etc. CTS pots. Orange Drop caps. braided wire, switchcraft etc etc etc.

Here's my question. I used to be an electronics engineer many moons ago. I am really struggling to believe that any of that stuff makes any difference at all to what the thing sounds like. At the frequencies involved? If this was a high-frequency low voltage system then - yes - all of that is going to make some difference at some point - yip, you'd be over all of that. But at audio frequencies?

If you're making high-end audio equipment - you'll pay a fortune for customized, precision electronics - for the accuracy, the form factor, the aesthetic and the marketing bumpf that you can claim. But we are talking about Alpha pots (£0.50 at medium volume) or CTS pots (£1.05 at medium volume). What difference are you hearing? Don't get me wrong - I've done it myself - top end caps, poured over taper profiles.

Other than mechanical reliability is anybody genuinely 'hearing' any difference from slightly more expensive electronics? I am happy to be convinced - I'll go for it - but deep in the cockles of my rational side, it just doesn't seem plausible.

Anybody got a story or an argument in favour of upgrading the electronics, other than the pups?

Had to hold that there to go and clap the NHS workers. Thanks to any NHS guitar players folks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132
    Can’t comment on the variation between components, but I’m pretty sure Eastman use cts pots and orange drop caps, they know what their market want in a guitar and usually try to meet it.

The only thing that I’d agree with you is worth changing and will make a difference is those Kent Armstrong pickups, they aren’t bad, but better can definitely be had. I’d recommend some unpotted underwound elysiums from Fletcher pickups -they are great value for money, handwound and sound great. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 939
    This...

"Thanks to any NHS guitar player folks!"

Thank you all
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    What I hear with cheap pots is that crackling sound that listeners hate.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    With budget pots, my worry is, what am I not hearing? 

CTS, CRL and Switchcraft components were originally built to military spec. They have been, literally, combat tested. They are more durable than the cheapo equivalents. They also feel nicer to use. 
    Be seeing you.
  • KevSKevS Frets: 468
    Anything that is more reliable and lasts longer gets more vote..

• JiJoeJiJoe Frets: 6
    Mostly about reliability and durability then guys? I get that. 

Although - I am wondering if the real beneficiaries are actually the future owners of these guitars - 2 or 3 guys down the line.

Military-grade components are usually burn-in aged (to weed out QA failures) and guaranteed to -50 to +125 degree operating temperatures. Pots will have a lifetime number of sweeps ratings. You'd probably have to spend all day for 10 years wiping them up and down their full range to wear them out if they are genuinely Mil-Std. Lol! I expect they are just less cost engineered than the really cheap stuff.

I jest - the reliability angle and having the best stuff is a good enough reason for sure. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    JiJoe said:
    You'd probably have to spend all day for 10 years wiping them up and down their full range to wear them out if they are genuinely Mil-Std.
    If only.

Some ham-fisted guitar wearers seem to apply excessive force to their controls. I have seem lever switches leant on so hard that the wiper has been forced away from the contact leafs. On some pot chassis, is possible to press the shaft down against the base of the chassis, interrupting the contact between the wiper and track.
    Be seeing you.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader

The orange drops fat legs make them easy to solder. Otherwise it's about the value, not the type. And they make next to no difference if the tone pot's up full.
    Pots might be worth changing if the taper's not what you like or to alter the value for a slight tone change. If they work & do what you want I'd leave them.
    Switches & jack sockets can be well worth changing for reliability esp the switch. But if you don't need it for gigging then it can wait till one fails.

Stuff can last a long time. e.g. I've a low-rent 50s and a MIJ 70s guitar where everything works fine, neither are top spec, must have relatively cheap lectrix. But if going deep fishing inside a semi-hollow it's worth thinking about re-doing the whole lot while you're in there.

• JiJoeJiJoe Frets: 6
    Update to this. I did it - replaced the PUPs on this semi-hollow for SD Seth Lovers. It was the most frustrating thing I've ever done in my life. It was like peeling an orange in the pocket of your spacesuit. Not easy.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom