Guitars From Your Past....Where are they now and has anyone seen them???

What's Hot
kramereekrameree Frets: 101
Every so often I wonder what happened to specific guitar I've owned and usually remind me of a particular time in my playing history.
Some pop up for sale but some are never seen again...They must be somewhere so thought I'd put this out there..

What guitars did you sell you think about and why...
Mine are;

Hamer SS1 Steve Stevens...
This was original a metallic red and I had it signed by Steve Stevens himself in the USA when he played with the Atomic Playboys..the finish was never good on these so I have it refinished in Metallic Gun Metal Gray. I couldnt get the SS decal so it just has Hamer on the headstock. I sold this to a friend of mine called Ian Daley from Durham who moved to MK. He passed away well over 15 years ago but always wondered what happened to that guitar..

Guild Bluesbird Kahler/Emgs in Petrol Blue
This was one of those strange 80's guitar, les paul body shape, almost fano like headstock, 3 single coil emgs and a kahler flyer..the colour was a very vivid petrol blue. I bought this from David Brewis (Kane Gang) and swapped it for a USA strat with lace senors.
Ive never seen another and would love to see a pic of the guitar again as it had a great vibe about it.

Paul Richardson PR Guitars Custom Tele. 3 single coils, Kahler (the floyd rose type) Purple Heat top on bound body with a Maple Birdseye neck. I Swapped this in the 90s when living in Berkshire for a natural USA strat..I tried to buy it back weeks later but the guy had vanished..

Schecter USA Custom Shop Tele...I loved this tele but was short of cash so sold it to a dealer in West London. 2 Piece swamp ash body, standard tele setup with a thin satin finish...

So what do you guys miss...and are they still out there!!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14218
    tFB Trader
    easy answer - @HarrySeven has them !!
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

Well, some of them, anyway... ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited March 2020
    Shaftesbury Les Paul Custom Copy with plush case, modified with Schaller tuners, a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a phase switch. Got it when I was 15, brand new from the Arcade Music Shop in North Finchley for £65 in 1972, and thought it was the most beautiful guitar I'd ever seen (ebony, gold fittings) put a holding deposit on it and paid off for it in installments. 

It was my main gigging guitar together with my 1969 hard tail Strat that I got when I was 20. Kept it until 6 mths after I bought a real LP Custom.  Sold it for £175 to a very nice girl that fell in love with it the moment she picked it up and played it (it was set up beautifully). 

Lots of very happy memories, including touring round the universities for 6 weeks in a big Ford Transit with my band at the time, playing 2 nights at the old Marquee, and 1 night at the Chalk farm roundhouse, and places like the Greyhound in Fulham and loads of pubs, clubs etc. I cut my gigging teeth with it but needed the money to help pay for my Gibson LP or I'd have kept it. 

Not seen it since. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Nothing much from me - I've not really sold anything that I've regretted too much, but the old story about my dad's Ibanez Iceman is still unresolved.

I say Iceman, it was actually an Artist 2663 as it had the long metal tailpiece, meaning it was a very early example built before 1977. He owned it as his main, often only guitar throughout the 80s and absolutely loved it. It was knackered even by the time he had it - pickups changed to DiMarzios (and later a Bill Lawrence), a crap respray in black and he ended up routing it out for a couple of coil-split mini switches too. But it had huge sentimental value, and I don't think even he's sure why he sold it in the early 90s. He's never seen it again but has been wanting to track it down for as long as I can remember.

I wasn't around when he had it, but I'd love to play it too. There might be a photo or two kicking around - I'll check later.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    My Antoria Les Paul Gold Top copy - customised with (black) Grover machine heads, a brass nut, a brass poker chip, Gotoh bridge and tailpiece, Double Eagle neck pickup, Gibson bridge pickup, mini switches for series/parallel and coil taps, strange pressed tin bridge pickup surround, battered and chipped.

I loved that guitar and like a fool I swapped it for a Sound City 50w head and 4x12 cabinet in the early 90s with a chap in West London. I literally check eBay daily to see if it has come up for sale - and have done since 2002.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26963
    I had an old SG Special Faded that I longed to have back for a very long time. I'd probably still buy it out of interest if we crossed paths again, but I'm fine without and don't go looking any more.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    When I was younger before I moved to the States in 1980, I used to change guitars a lot.  I went through several that I wish I had now.  The ones that I really miss are these:

• 1972 Les Paul Custom.  The crazy thing about this was it's weight.  It was very light for a 72 Les Paul (weighed the same as my mate's 64 335)
    • Original Chris Eccleshall Kestrel - solid body 3/4 size 335 shape.  This was the first he made I believe.  It had a pair of double cream DiMarzios with series/parallel switching
    • 1961 SG/Les Paul Junior TV White.  Never should have let this go, it was a brilliant guitar, but I needed the money when I was moving to the States
    • Custom built DC Les Paul Special with a birdseye maple neck.  It had a pair of Gibson embossed humbuckers from 72 when I had it
    • 1962 Precision Bass, body had been stripped and resprayed a bright metallic green.  It sounded awesome though and had a really nice neck.

Not a guitar, but I also miss my 62 blonde Fender Tremolux with a wheat front and matching 2x12 Bassman cab
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 548
    All my old guitars are being played by much more competent people :)
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2388
    I had 6 stolen in 2017, so I wonder if they'll ever resurface or if they've just been dumped. No luck so far!
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I had a Top Twenty, which was an awful thing, but I sometimes hanker after one. I think I trashed it, so that particular one isn't an option.

I had a custom-made fretless bass, called the Hooker, which looked alien and the fingerboard went all  the way up to the bridge (which was just carved from the same piece of wood); I lost it when my parents moved house. It'd be good if I could maybe happen across it one day.

Another bass I did quite like was an Aria SB700, but it was really too big for me and I sold it at some point.

I've still got my 1st and 2nd Rickenbacker basses and my 1st Status Graphite, so no real wistful looking back for me.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    G&L ASAT Special black on black with tinted maple neck/board. Ding at the end of the headstock from a cymbal. Please tell me if anyone has seen this. I will buy it back! Truly the one that got away. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    My first electric was a Kay Les Paul copy. Purple with cream binding. I'm convinced it was flat with a block that the pickups and bridge mounted on with a bit of veneer moulded over to look like the maple cap on a LP.

I didn't have an amp but wired a curly lead (all you could get in 85) into the stylus of our old record player!

I sold it after a few months to help pay for work on my first car. 

It looked nice but I often wondered what it was like to play for real since.

My next guitar was a plywood Hondo II LP copy. I bought it used with an amp and it's what I learned to play on.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    prowla said:

Another bass I did quite like was an Aria SB700, but it was really too big for me and I sold it at some point.

I've still got my 1st and 2nd Rickenbacker basses
    Interesting... I find *both* Aria SBs and Rickenbackers fit me perfectly. The offset Aria body helps, for someone as short as me. I currently have a 4001 and an SB-R60 (factory made) fretless.

I always wondered what happened to the pair of Aria SB Elites I had in the 1980s, red and blue metallic, one of which I defretted - but I honestly can't remember which one now! I didn't keep them that long.

At some point after that I had a near-pair of 60s Gibson EB-2 and Epiphone Rivoli - the Rivoli had already been refinished and the frets were in very bad shape, so guess what I did to that... there's a pattern here :). The EB-2 went to the bassist in Jools Holland's band, but I have no idea what happened to the Rivoli - unless it's been restored, it's a dark see-through brown and fretless.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Squier Strat, last seen c.1994 in possession of my ex girlfriend's brother, with whom she resided.  She was basically such a mentalist I preferred to let the guitar go than risk running into her by traipsing round to pick it up.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Seafoam Green Charvel Spectrum. Gave it to my friend as payment for rewiring my house, as I couldn't afford to give him money. He's still got it, I've asked him if I can have it when he dies :)

Just tried to find a photo of it - this appears to be the only one I have:

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited March 2020
    I don't think this one has moved on from the guy I sold it to in 2004-ish:

Reverend Workhorse Commando GT, in yellow with a rosewood board. I wish I had it back.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • My first 'proper' guitar as was a Korean-made Epiphone Joe Perry signature 'Boneyard' Les Paul that I bought from Peter Cook's shop. Distinctive yellow/black tiger stripe veneer top and satin dark back (plus a headstock inlay that resembled a theme park ride signage) makes it very easy to stand out from the Lester Paulfuss crowd.
    So every now and then it pops up on the net, I do quietly wonder where mine ended up...
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    A Squier JV white /rosewood  and an Ampeg Reverberocket I had in the 60's .
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    Think he has one of mine that I never should have sold in the first place - still live in the hope that one day I can buy it back :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26572
    Jaden Rose Series 2 #7. It was a tiny bit different to all of the others, and it was bloody magnificent. No idea where it is now...I've tried tracking it down a few times, but I can't even find any emails relating to selling it.

What a fool.
    <space for hire>