Guitars From Your Past....Where are they now and has anyone seen them???

What's Hot

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    TTBZ said:
    easy answer - @HarrySeven has them !!
    Think he has one of mine that I never should have sold in the first place - still live in the hope that one day I can buy it back :)
    If only I could find it...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1024
    The one I regret selling the most is a 2015 American Special Telecaster. Hardly going back far I know ha. 
    Sold it to @Adam_MD on this very forum. Whether it's still with him I have no idea. Whoever has it now I hope they love it cos it was absolutely wonderful. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited March 2020
    I go on about this all the time but it never changes! 

1988 Fender Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Telecaster.  Number 40 of 300. First Custom Shop Guitar I ever saw - in fact I’m not sure I’d even heard of the Custom Shop at this point. It was the first series Guitar they made. I unboxed when it arrived at the shop, played it to death for about 5 years. Sold when I became very close to bankrupt. 

It has turned up a couple of times: I sold it in Edinburgh but next sighting about a decade later was in Poole (eBay) I couldn’t afford it or talk the seller down enough so off it went. Turned up again in Sussex but was already sold before I was aware. Interestingly it was described as hardly used and had a certificate of authenticity (which it did not have when it was new!). Definitely the same guitar - I knew it intimately! It also sold for silly low money. 

I pray for for another shot at it but even if it does turn up now I suspect I would not be able to afford it (times change!). 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    A (I think it was a 96) crafted in Japan Yngwie Stratocaster . Lovely guitar had it for a long while just wanted something else at the time 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    I kinda miss my Kramer pacer vintage tiger stripe too
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    edited March 2020
    My PRS CE22 came up on Reverb last year and I very nearly bought it back from the guy in Netherlands. His price was way too high though and when I found he dropped the price, it had already sold. That was a guitar I thought I'd always keep but unfortunately bills needed to be paid.

PRS Standard 24 from 1990. Sold it in 2008 I think and some one in Netherlands has that one. I did try and buy it back but unfortunately nothing came of it. Again sold because I needed the money.

Ibanez UV7SBK. The rarest of all the Universe models. Traded it to some one who used to play in Cradle of Filth. He actually owned the guitar 10 years previous to getting it back again. But once again it was sent off because I needed the cash.

Now I no longer sell guitars to pay bills etc but let's see how that stands in the months/years ahead now.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    The only one I'd really like to get back is a '95 Ricky 330. Sold late 90s to help raise money for a house deposit (waste of time but that's another story...). Have tried a few times before (Ric forums etc) but it was a relatively faceless Ebay sale and the guitar was sold on after about a year by the person  I sold it to.

In the very longest shot it's out there it is a Rickenbacker 330, Fireglo serial C8 8881. Here's some evidence, rubbish pic but one of the few I have - think it's 1996 so go easy :)

https://imgur.com/a/9aheZVJ

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2367

1988 Fender Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Telecaster.  Number 40 of 300. First Custom Shop Guitar I ever saw - in fact I’m not sure I’d even heard of the Custom Shop at this point. It was the first series Guitar they made. I unboxed when it arrived at the shop, played it to death for about 5 years. Sold when I became very close to bankrupt. 

It has turned up a couple of times: I sold it in Edinburgh but next sighting about a decade later was in Poole (eBay) I couldn’t afford it or talk the seller down enough so off it went. Turned up again in Sussex but was already sold before I was aware. Interestingly it was described as hardly used and had a certificate of authenticity (which it did not have when it was new!). Definitely the same guitar - I knew it intimately! It also sold for silly low money. 

I pray for for another shot at it but even if it does turn up now I suspect I would not be able to afford it (times change!). 
    Yeah I have pics of that one and the COA is not legit. It should have come with one new, I have jpegs of over a hundred of these 40ths and plenty of COA pics. I guess either Arbiter or the dealer misplaced it.
     Nice guitars, you'd need to pay £3k plus for one I'd guess now (or rather before Covid-19). Good luck.

• All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • Strat54 said:

Yeah I have pics of that one and the COA is not legit. It should have come with one new, I have jpegs of over a hundred of these 40ths and plenty of COA pics. I guess either Arbiter or the dealer misplaced it.
     Nice guitars, you'd need to pay £3k plus for one I'd guess now (or rather before Covid-19). Good luck.

Only interested in that one! The dealer didn’t open the box, I did! No one really knew about COAs then! 
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
  • The Johnny Marr Jag that I had refinished in charcoal frost. It ended up with @markblack. I message him once a year to see if he’ll sell it back to me. I must have had nearly 40 guitars over the years and that’s my only regret. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited March 2020
    I've banged on about it before here but the only guitar I've ever regretted selling is an Affinity Tele from, I'd guess, twenty years ago. Ferrari red with a single ply scratchplate. Had an unbelievably good neck for its price, with more figuring on the maple board than my US Standard, and had that Tele spank in spades. Being a cheap guitar, my guess is that it's gone to the scrapyard in the sky, but I've often wondered. I'd have it back in a heartbeat if I happened to come across it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    @badlydrawnbanjo sorry it's still very much loved :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    I swopped my JXG lil bitch cabronita with a nitro flame top for a Rosewall 5E3 which didn't work for me. Wanted it back and it had been P/X  for something else. Called the so and it had been sold... Still want it back if it ever pops back up
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    prowla said:
    I had a Top Twenty, which was an awful thing, but I sometimes hanker after one. I think I trashed it, so that particular one isn't an option.
    I had one too and I sometimes look at them on eBay and think about buying one, just to see if it really was as bad as I remember. I suspect it was tbh. I had the red burst finish one that actually looked quite cool. No idea what happened to it, I think I must’ve sold it on but have no recollection of when or who to. If it’s still around it would be pretty distinctive as it had a homemade wooden case that weighed a ton, was painted white gloss and covered in band stickers and had an orange fun fur lining. Ah the 70s.  :3
  • kramereekrameree Frets: 101
    @horsehead That JXG looked very cool! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72248
    boogieman said:
    prowla said:
    I had a Top Twenty, which was an awful thing, but I sometimes hanker after one. I think I trashed it, so that particular one isn't an option.
    I had one too and I sometimes look at them on eBay and think about buying one, just to see if it really was as bad as I remember. I suspect it was tbh.
    They are usually pretty bad as they are, but if you’re willing to strip them down and rebuild them completely they can usually be made perfectly good - never great, but properly playable and quite cool-sounding in a punky/Jack White kind of way.

I’ve done quite a few of them - they always sell very easily in the £150-£250 range, mostly to people who had one originally! The price reflects the work put in, not the inherent value - you see people trying to get the same for unimproved ones, which is silly.

The only really insurmountable issue is if the frets are badly fitted, which some of them were - a refret makes the job uneconomical, although if you do it yourself you could just ignore the cost.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    ICBM said:
    boogieman said:
    prowla said:
    I had one too and I sometimes look at them on eBay and think about buying one, just to see if it really was as bad as I remember. I suspect it was tbh.
    They are usually pretty bad as they are, but if you’re willing to strip them down and rebuild them completely they can usually be made perfectly good - never great, but properly playable and quite cool-sounding in a punky/Jack White kind of way.

I’ve done quite a few of them - they always sell very easily in the £150-£250 range, mostly to people who had one originally! The price reflects the work put in, not the inherent value - you see people trying to get the same for unimproved ones, which is silly.

The only really insurmountable issue is if the frets are badly fitted, which some of them were - a refret makes the job uneconomical, although if you do it yourself you could just ignore the cost.
    Ta @ICBM. Worth knowing.

I do remember the frets being quite bad on mine. Likewise the plastic buttons on the machine heads had started working loose from the shafts, but the gears also had a lot of slop in them. I presumed it had had quite a hard life before I bought it, but then they were cheaply made too. My biggest bugbear was the placement of the pick up switches... get a bit too enthusiastic and it was far too easy to knock them both to the off position, inevitably followed by deathly silence. I did that at my first big gig in front of 300 people and nearly died of shame before I figured out what had happened. 
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    edited March 2020
    A brace of guitars I no longer own..
    The 88 prs custom in this pic was my back up guitar for my 86 standard. I never bonded with it so I swapped for the twin neck Ibanez. 
    The Ibanez custom shop 6-12 twin neck was gorgeous looking but an absolute bitch to play. It never sat right on the strap and was so heavy... in the end I traded it for an 87 prs custom and a Gibson Chet Atkins solid acoustic that I still own. 
     I wish I still had the Ibanez coz I've never seen another and its extremely rare.
    The Carvin V belonged to a friend of mine who bought it from a famous guitarist while he was in the states.
    Nice guitar to play but a tad too metal for me and it had a Kahler trem which I hated.
    I wonder where they are these days as all three were pretty distinctive