NGD - Squier Bullet Mustang - Modded

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 16665
edited March 2020 in Guitar
I picked this up a couple of months ago as i wanted a cheap project  to get back into guitar work

I had some Mojo mustang pickups going spare, so it made sense to use them.   I also picked up a new plate and bridge... tuners still haven't arrived yet.    Its  had a nitro overspray and some ageing

you can see more of the process in M&M
https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/173196/wezv-q120-challenge

Went back together today:

0reaction image LOL 18reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Looks great now and I bet it sounds wonderful with those mojos
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Looks awesome!
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1025
    So good! 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4132
    Love it!!! Did you consider adding a matching headstock?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Love it!!! Did you consider adding a matching headstock?
    It came down to whether I could keep the original blue or not.   If it ended up being a full refinish I would have done a matching headstock, but since it's an overspray I didn't want to get into colour matching for this.

Also, I like that I kept the original Squier logo... With added decal ridge to make it seem like an old logo

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    Looks awesome, love that colour with the overspray and the board dye/headstock tint makes it look really classy :)
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It's definitely a good base for modding, not a bad guitar for the money at all

Although Squier and fender already do plenty of mustang and duo-sonic styles at various price points so it's worth checking if there is one closer to what you want already.  

If I didn't already have a set of Mustang pickups going spare, I may have gone a different route.  it's value will always be determined by the base model, even if it outshines any vintage or modern fender now... Good excuse for me to keep it ;)
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    WezV said:
    the original Squier logo... With added decal ridge to make it seem like an old logo
    Now, that's what I call attention to detail.

WezV said:
    It's definitely a good base for modding
    The stock toploader bridge and absence of through-stringing holes or ferrules is all the excuse I would need to go Kahler in the style of Adrian Belew.  :)

WezV said:
    Squier and fender already do plenty of mustang and duo-sonic styles at various price points 
    I keep havering over the MIM Duo-Sonic HS and a NOS MIJ Pawnshop '51 at my local Fender dealership. For the right discount, the '51 would win out for playability. OTOH, the Duo-Sonic would be easier to modify using items already languishing in my parts drawer.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    I have an old kahler in the parts box somewhere... Never considered that.

Mind you, the string through body mod has really helped on this.  I'm not a fan of most top loading designs
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Which model do you have? I can think of two forumites who would have use for any model - if only for spare parts. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Just a flyer.

I went through a few old and new kahlers about 10 years ago, so it's left over from that.  Also tried out a lot of the other 80's terms, including a transtrem and wonderbar/shift

I actually really like kahlers, when set up with the correct neck and break angles
  • suspiciousmindssuspiciousminds Frets: 393
    edited March 2020
    I’ve recently bought one of these comp stangs - the blue is deffo lighter than the lpb of my mim Tele.
    I’ve polished the frets and oiled the board, upgraded the pots/cap etc and put a SD humbucker in the bridge - and it sounds bloody good.
    Just need some decent tuners and I’ll be happy.
    cant fault the bullet mustang for the money though!
  • Kudos on the modding! That stang is glorious, nice work!
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I fancy the CAR Bullet Mustang around at present .I did have a blue one but  with Donliss P100's in but had to sacrifice it  to get another guitar ,it was a very nice guitar and those Donlis pups really did the blues rock  sound  justice.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    edited March 2020
    That looks really nice. 
    I’ve tried many times over the years to love mustangs but their short scale just seems to nag me. I long for the day someone makes a mustang with 25 or 25.5” scale length with a chunkier neck. 

I know what you mean, but I'm not against the short scale on all thibgs

I definitely struggle with the short scale trem models , and even short scale and top loading.

Drilling the body for string through made a massive difference on this.  It's so much more resonant.

I also like that it's only 6lbs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    WezV said:
    I know what you mean, but I'm not against the short scale on all thibgs

I definitely struggle with the short scale trem models , and even short scale and top loading.

Drilling the body for string through made a massive difference on this.  It's so much more resonant.

I also like that it's only 6lbs
    It’s odd as the scale didn’t seem to bother me on the Kurt Cobain Jaguar I had but for some reason mustangs.....

yours looks a bobby dazzler though.