Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• paulcayepaulcaye Frets: 74
    Rkphilpot said:
    Hi everyone, 
    I'm slowly learning more and more about pedal building, some of my kit builds have even worked recently. I want to try a simple circuit on Vero board next.
    I have a load of clear LEDs that I have no idea what colour they are so I built a tester. Thing is even with a 4k7 resistor added to the positive every LED is blowing. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong please?
    Sorry, I feel so amateur!

https://flic.kr/p/2qeCrGq
    What does the underside of the board look like? From the pic supplied looks like you are bypassing the resistor or its in parallel. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 197
    Standard veroboard the tracks run in a line so the resistor is inline with the Red (+) of the 9v and the anode of the LED

The negative of the 9v is straight to the cathode 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1133
    Try a higher resistance? 

Most pedal things are trial and error with me  :3
    edited September 7
    Might be a bit obvious, but you did remember to cut the track between the legs?

Even if you did there could be a microscopic strand of solder or something bridging it still.

Run a knife or something across it to make sure, or/and use a magnifying glass. Or use a multimeter.
    All it takes is something so fine you won't see it with the naked eye. It's surprising!

It's good practice to check between all tracks and solder joints.
    edited September 7
    ICBM was talking about using "shake proof" washers for things like sockets to stop them coming loose.

What I usually do is stick a decent spring washer on the inside. It not only makes it more robust but it means there's less thread sticking out so looks a tiny bit tidier. 

I did just happen to have a bunch of nice size ss ones I'd found.
    Cutting the track between the legs wasn't obvious to me, but now you've said it I feel like a right donut! 

I'll give it a try now. I suspect that that trick.
    Thank you! 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10930
    Finally put this HHGTtG themed Greer Lightspeed clone together. Cracking circuit

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2464
    roberty said:
    Finally put this HHGTtG themed Greer Lightspeed clone together. Cracking circuit

With the fabled Burr Brown chip eh?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10930
    @Keefy I found a few in my parts bin from years ago. They definitely make a difference. The other two went into a cheap Chinese tube buffer thing on my bedroom stereo, huge improvement
  • LukeFRCLukeFRC Frets: 12
    edited September 13
    just found this thread! It's great!  

Things I've made (I'm a bass player) ... 

Top row: Midi USB host switcher for the C4  // Aion Electronics  Lab series L4 preamp
    Bottom row: PedalPCB shallow water clone // The iron man, my own PCB of a SS/BS Mini

this thing is great!

Mutron clone on Lion's Lumitron board, added decay knob and Moog filter switch. Nice but don't love it.

Also sat on the shelf not being played, pedal PCB Chop shop /Barbershop ... A FrogFX F2b valve fender showman/alembic preamp in bits (generally, get the sushi box partical accelerator instead), sold a Schalltechnik Vong and made a couple more of the Iron man pedals that got sold to friends. 

Oh there's also a Schalltechnik Pumpernickel I picked up off someone with a fault I need to find at some point.

Next on my list to try is a Prunes and Custard clone, might have to do my own PCB for 1590B with top jacks.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LukeFRCLukeFRC Frets: 12
    (as an aside, I'm a graphic designer by trade, I could do some really cool graphics but when I'm not working, working again isn't fun - but the metal stamping is)
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1227
    I’m trying to move from pedals I make for myself to pedals people want to buy, made and sold two so far. Using a mix of bits from old radios and new parts, first a fuzz face-  

Then a rangemaster with a bigger input cap and clipping diodes - 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Alex2678 said:
    I’m trying to move from pedals I make for myself to pedals people want to buy, made and sold two so far. Using a mix of bits from old radios and new parts, first a fuzz face-  

Then a rangemaster with a bigger input cap and clipping diodes - 

These are really cool. Big fan of the aesthetic.  What sort or prices would they retail at?

These are really cool. Big fan of the aesthetic.  What sort or prices would they retail at?
    Thanks mate.

At the moment I’m hoping to get to a point where I can get ~£100 for them, though I accepted offers on both of these, £55 for the first one and £65 for the second. Made a profit on them and glad to have them out in the world but took me a fair bit of time to do. 

I’ll do it for the love of it and maybe some money will follow. 
    Harmonic percolator next - 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678 said:

Thanks mate.

At the moment I’m hoping to get to a point where I can get ~£100 for them, though I accepted offers on both of these, £55 for the first one and £65 for the second. Made a profit on them and glad to have them out in the world but took me a fair bit of time to do. 

I’ll do it for the love of it and maybe some money will follow. 
    Yes I have sold a good few this year, had some great replies. Some were clones and some were my own builds.  A few bands out there with my pedals and a collector from Texas bought one as well 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Can not say if i
    made a huge profit but haven’t lost money and it all goes back into buying other items and art supplies

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 894
    edited September 15

Can not say if i
    made a huge profit but haven’t lost money and it all goes back into buying other items and art supplies
     https://www.instagram.com/p/C_Nnr6dszwr/?igsh=bHN6eGo5bXhqZXVl

This one went to a band called Solar Eyes

these last two were vero with my own tweaks 

Can not say if i

That’s very cool
  • Alex2678 said:

Can not say if i

That’s very cool
    Alex do you make the tags from the schematics ?