Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1227
    Alex2678 said:

Can not say if i
    made a huge profit but haven’t lost money and it all goes back into buying other items and art supplies
     https://www.instagram.com/p/C_Nnr6dszwr/?igsh=bHN6eGo5bXhqZXVl

This one went to a band called Solar Eyes
    That’s very cool
    Alex do you make the tags from the schematics ? 
    No I’ve pinched them from the tagboardeffects website. Despite the name most of their layouts are vero, but if you google a tag board circuit (i.e. tag board fuzz face) it’ll be tagged ‘tag board’. Then if you click the tag it’ll show you all their actual tag board layouts. Don’t think that works on the mobile version though 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I’ve always found that site really hard to navigate, turns out the web version is loads better
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10930
    Alex2678 said:

These are really cool. Big fan of the aesthetic.  What sort or prices would they retail at?
    Thanks mate.

At the moment I’m hoping to get to a point where I can get ~£100 for them, though I accepted offers on both of these, £55 for the first one and £65 for the second. Made a profit on them and glad to have them out in the world but took me a fair bit of time to do. 

I’ll do it for the love of it and maybe some money will follow. 
    Try charging more I reckon. People get suspicious if things are priced too low. They look quality
    roberty said:
    Alex2678 said:

These are really cool. Big fan of the aesthetic.  What sort or prices would they retail at?
    Thanks mate.

At the moment I’m hoping to get to a point where I can get ~£100 for them, though I accepted offers on both of these, £55 for the first one and £65 for the second. Made a profit on them and glad to have them out in the world but took me a fair bit of time to do. 

Try charging more I reckon. People get suspicious if things are priced too low. They look quality
    Kind of you to say mate. I might do, i was on the fence between building credibility in order to charge more or implying credibility by charging more
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 197
    Alex2678 said:
    roberty said:
    Alex2678 said:

Thanks mate.

Kind of you to say mate. I might do, i was on the fence between building credibility in order to charge more or implying credibility by charging more
    Yeah I get what you mean.
    If you keep doing it and keep loving it, whist covering your costs then you're onto a winner. However I think, given I just paid £50 for a big muff kit, you should be looking at charing a bit more. Anybody who knows whats involved in making these will understand the price.
    Alex2678 said:
    roberty said:
    Alex2678 said:

Thanks mate.

Costs nothing to find out :) I think they look great, certainly north of £100 IMHO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28672
    roberty said:
    Alex2678 said:
    roberty said:
    Alex2678 said:

Thanks mate.

Costs nothing to find out :) I think they look great, certainly north of £100 IMHO
    This. They look like the sort of thing you’d easily see for 180-250 in a boutique shop. 

As long as you can maintain consistent quality and offer decent packaging & customer service I don’t see any reason not to do a bit of proper marketing and aim higher. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678 said:
    I’ve always found that site really hard to navigate, turns out the web version is loads better
    Hold on I have a link for you 

plus I would charge more as well, I get around that for simple clones. My friend told me with hand painted or unique pedals to charge more. I’ve actually had the last few sales on instagram so no charges either 

https://vero-p2p.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2022-10-26T19:09:00%2B10:00&max-results=6&m=1

Go to the start of the site and work forward there are a good few tagboard ones. I’ve done a few myself and they are very rewarding to build. For the record yours look fantastic!  I’ve been looking for old tins recently for something fun. Also saw someone on TikTok convert an old wooden toy which looks great.  I think it’s cool to try different things 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

Thanks everyone. I’ve got a harmonic percolator on the go at moment so I’ll shake off the imposter syndrome, list it a bit higher and see what happens. 
    I am hoping to get a bit of a following going on instagram and sell direct to save me the fees and grief of eBay.  So far though I’m mostly being followed by other fuzz builders

Thats great I’ll check that link out @Cookiemonster ;
  • Alex2678 said:
    Thanks everyone. I’ve got a harmonic percolator on the go at moment so I’ll shake off the imposter syndrome, list it a bit higher and see what happens. 
    I am hoping to get a bit of a following going on instagram and sell direct to save me the fees and grief of eBay.  So far though I’m mostly being followed by other fuzz builders

Thats great I’ll check that link out @Cookiemonster ;
    Yes same I mostly have fuzz followers ! 

I will look out for other links for you ! I need to up my wiring skills yours look great 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

I’m using silicone covered wire - very flexible so it kind of falls into really natural curves and lines, as well as being heat resistant so you don’t get any ugly melted bits 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1133
    Alex2678 said:
    I’m trying to move from pedals I make for myself to pedals people want to buy, made and sold two so far. Using a mix of bits from old radios and new parts, first a fuzz face-  

Then a rangemaster with a bigger input cap and clipping diodes - 

How did you come about the box for the Rangemaster? 
    Kurtis said:
    It’s a transformer box from a model train set, got it at the car boot sale. Got another for my next build on eBay, they’re really solid 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1133
    edited September 15
    Alex2678 said:
    Kurtis said:
    It’s a transformer box from a model train set, got it at the car boot sale. Got another for my next build on eBay, they’re really solid 
    Cool, nice idea!

Sets it apart from the usual. 
  • LukeFRCLukeFRC Frets: 12
    I built a couple of the SS/BS mini clones for friends, my own pcb made in China in a 1590b and was keeping track of my time - sold for about £100 and it worked out to be parts plus my time at minimum wage just! 
    It worked out 1/3 pcb making, 1/3 enclosure drilling and stamping 1/3 assembly. 

Certainly not something to do if you want to make decent money - I think you would need to build in small batches for time and parts saving and charge north of £150 to make it worthwhile. 

If you follow someone like horrothia on socials and sees how he does it it’s another league!!
    Kurtis said:
    Alex2678 said:
    Kurtis said:
    Cool, nice idea!

Sets it apart from the usual. 
    I have seen them used before, Raygun has one listed at the moment, hoping giving them a paint job differentiates a bit. 

LukeFRC said:
    I built a couple of the SS/BS mini clones for friends, my own pcb made in China in a 1590b and was keeping track of my time - sold for about £100 and it worked out to be parts plus my time at minimum wage just! 
    It worked out 1/3 pcb making, 1/3 enclosure drilling and stamping 1/3 assembly. 

Certainly not something to do if you want to make decent money - I think you would need to build in small batches for time and parts saving and charge north of £150 to make it worthwhile. 

If you follow someone like horrothia on socials and sees how he does it it’s another league!!
    I do follow horrothia, very cool stuff.
    PCB design definitely isn’t something I’d want to get into! 
    stickyfiddle said:

This. They look like the sort of thing you’d easily see for 180-250 in a boutique shop. 

As long as you can maintain consistent quality and offer decent packaging & customer service I don’t see any reason not to do a bit of proper marketing and aim higher. 
    I think so, too. The salvaging element makes every unit unique and gives you instant brand identity. Might be worth reaching out to places like Joe's Pedals to see what they think. I'm sure @ThorpyFX will have something constructive to say
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6327
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    stickyfiddle said:

I think so, too. The salvaging element makes every unit unique and gives you instant brand identity. Might be worth reaching out to places like Joe's Pedals to see what they think. I'm sure @ThorpyFX will have something constructive to say
    you are starting in the same place i did so this all feels somewhat familiar.

Pricing. if you arent launching as a brand, price to cover your costs and some profit to enable you to grow a little. As people have said, only charging for parts leaves the pedals looking suspiciously cheap.

if you are going to launch a brand, go all in. Price at the point you'd want to sell them at as a established brand... think big, be big.. there are many reasons for doing this, all of which ill avoid clogging the thread here with. 

cost up your parts, cost up a fair portion for time, minus a little for not being established and go for it..

oh and if you want to chat, message me. 

all the best, Thorpy 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom