Cables and extensions transport/storage

What's Hot
GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
This is how empty my life has become in lock-down...

How do people take their cables/extensions/bits and bobs to gigs?   Currently most of mine for the PA are in an old duffle bag I had lying around, guitar cables live with the pedalboard, IEMs go in a backpack with the P1 that powers them and my iPad...  Anything else gets chucked wherever they fit or in a carrier bag on the passenger seat of my car.

I'm thinking of just getting a big Peli case to keep everything in, but wondered what other people do?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    edited April 2020
    I bought a flight case for everything but full it is too heavy for most people to lift. I now have 3 of these cube-shaped gig-bags. Having a square shape coiled cables sit in there very nicely. For us they work just great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    Whistler said:
    I bought a flight case for everything but full it is too heavy for most people to lift. I now have 3 of these cube-shaped gig-bags. Having a square shape coiled cables sit in there very nicely. For us they work just great.
    Those gigbags look decent, but once I've bought 3 of them with delivery - it shakes out to pretty much the price I've been offered a large wheeled Peli case for.  But I'd never have thought of looking for gigbags!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    We take five storage boxes: mains extensions, kettle leads, XLRs, lights, DMX leads. They sit in a row front of stage while we set up and tear down. The benefits are that we can see where the leads are, they don’t get mixed, and it’s easy to drop them into the right boxes when we pack away. The boxes stack for storage.

IEMs and my gear are racked, with connecting leads stored with each rack. I also carry one of those aluminium cases on a strap with tools, fuses, batteries, tape, etc 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Ive thought of getting one of those shopping bags on wheels that the auld dolls use to get groceries.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Whistler said:
    I bought a flight case for everything but full it is too heavy for most people to lift.
    When I was young and fit I had an old acoustic guitar pro flightcase which I'd taken the lining out of, because it was the right length to fit the speaker stands and mic stands in... two speaker stands, five mic stands, all the cables, the spares bag, and a case that weighed 35lb *empty* - the whole thing came to about 100lb, and had just a single handle. But it was still easier than carrying all that stuff in several trips from the car, risking trapping fingers in the stands and other hazards you'll be familiar with if you gig. I would pick up that in one hand and the almost equally heavy rack case with the PA power amps in the other, and try not to stop to put them down anywhere :). Amazingly, my arms are still roughly their original length...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356

I actually set up a static camera and filmed my band setting up once :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf3VJJh03J0

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    I find that these are a cheap solution (various sizes available).  I have one for audio and one for power leads.  The trick is to find something that isn’t specifically designed for music applications which brings the price down.

https://www.sportsdirect.com/slazenger-trolley-suitcase-708042#colcode=70804290
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:
    We take five storage boxes: mains extensions, kettle leads, XLRs, lights, DMX leads. They sit in a row front of stage while we set up and tear down. The benefits are that we can see where the leads are, they don’t get mixed, and it’s easy to drop them into the right boxes when we pack away. The boxes stack for storage.

IEMs and my gear are racked, with connecting leads stored with each rack. I also carry one of those aluminium cases on a strap with tools, fuses, batteries, tape, etc 

See, we don't have DMX controlled lights - or really any lights...  That might be a future purchase - but we're just a pub covers band so it might be overkill!!

So I'd probably only need 3 boxes. And actually, some Really Useful Boxes are a decent shout as an alternative to a big ol' Peli Case...
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 104
    edited April 2020
    I have a plastic toolbox on wheels, not too expensive but it houses a rubber bucket for XLRs and odd bits, extensions go beside the bucket, then the top panel has DIs, mics and misc connectors. In the lid there are two compartments for mic clips.

All lifts into the car easy enough. For duo gigs I decant the necessaries into a small toolbag.

There are a lot of good options at B&Q for small money. Fat Max brand is cheap but well designed. Metal fittings are a bit soft but will last if cared for.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    I actually fond old laptop bags really useful for gigging. Some are large enough to take a pedal board and the compartments meant for files are ideal to put you cables in nicely wound and separated. Then the small pockets designed for pens are ideal for screwdrivers and there's generally other pockets for strings and IEM's etc. 

And of course they come with a strap so you can carry it on your shoulder 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    If you're looking at a Peli, these cheaper alternatives are great. I've got a few and they've been pretty heavily toured for a few years and held up fine. 

https://www.trifibre.co.uk/product-category/products-by-type/waterproof-cases/challenger-cases/

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    We've a flight case for the two multicores and 2 Gator bags for the mains and xlrs and other leads.  The mixer is in a Gig-Rack and it sits on top of the multicore flight case for the gig.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Having gone from huge flightcases with lift out boxes and amp racks on wheels, I've gone old man lightweight. I still take too many guitars, but an old deep laptop bag has the hxfx, mic, DI and power supplies with the cables wrapped in their too. Wireless kit hangs on the handle in a toilet bag so the whole slings on my shoulder with its strap. Proper stand bag with music stand, mic stand and 3 way guitar stand. I have a bag for life with backup supplies in the car. 
    That's it.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1143
    edited April 2020
    I use a gator a mixing desk bag for my cables. 

For gigging I have to have a bag that can open fully out so I can see exactly where everything is inside. It just makes it so much easier than reaching into a bag and fumbling round trying to find stuff.

Plus points with the gator bags is they have a front pocket. And a mesh compartment inside in the lid section (I keep my XLR Adaptors, Mic’s and tool box in there).

They are also very rugged and well made.

This is the one I use:

https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/copy-gator-g-mix-b-1815-mixer-bag/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIje72taPQ6AIVT9TeCh2evwZgEAUYASABEgKVLvD_BwE
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited April 2020
    Another source for pelican type things at sensible prices is https://www.solentplastics.co.uk/  Note when buying stuff like this online pay very careful attention to the dimensions first befor the price of the actual product your buying don’t just look at the photo and price!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • I would coil them up and cable tie them up, around 3 were in a sports bag, then 2 in my guitar bag for when I set up on stage as the gig bag would already been there on the stage with the guitar. The ones in the bag are just spares as I know someone will ask to borrow one (usually from another band) and I know if I lend it out I won't get it back. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    Fishing bags.   

And a cable reel for the xlr cables. 
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 231
    edited April 2020
    We use these, case doubles as an amp stand for 1x12 combo after mics, cables and other items removed.  This was after a smaller bag was left behind at a gig and mics lost!!

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_zubehoercase_54_21_33.htm
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Would get a flight case or, square boxes, but I use an old wheelie suitcase.

Velcro cable ties are a must to avoid the tangles
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:

Velcro cable ties are a must to avoid the tangles

One of the best things I ever bought was a small reel of double-sided velcro that works great for cable-tying.   https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00186QF2C/