Is anyone using an external mic for an ipad/ iphone?

What's Hot
markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
I'm looking at doing a few recordings of me playing some songs whilst I've not got any band practice and I thought the easiest way to do it would be to both video and record them, so was planning on using my iPhone X or iPad. Having tried a couple of recordings the sound is not the best so was looking at an external mic for it. There seem to be a few options, all having various reviews so trying to find someone who's actually used/ using something. 
Currently looking at something like the Zoom iq7, certainly in that sort of price bracket - c£100
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10392

I find the best way to do it is to use the iPhone \ iPad for the video but record the audio directly into a laptop etc and then import both files into a video editor, line em up and mute the audio that's on the video track. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you got some type of emulated out on your amp/fx? I’m using my helix lt direct into an iPad via ik irig. 
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    Danny1969 said:

I find the best way to do it is to use the iPhone \ iPad for the video but record the audio directly into a laptop etc and then import both files into a video editor, line em up and mute the audio that's on the video track. 

I did contemplate that, but I was just looking for a piece of piss option without having to do anything post-recording! I'm lazy you see!

Have you got some type of emulated out on your amp/fx? I’m using my helix lt direct into an iPad via ik irig. 
    Yep, but this would mainly be for acoustic, which isn't an electro
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12313
    edited April 2020
    I've got the Zoom IQ6 I think.  Its certainly an improvement on the internal microphone.  It has a red light which is supposed to show that the signal is clipping so you turn the volume down, I find if its not permanently in the red just spiking into red light its better to leave the volume up.

It really is a piece of p1ss solution.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12313
    Here's a video taken on my ipad with the zoom iq6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0BtdFpw9-Y
    munckee said:
    Here's a video taken on my ipad with the zoom iq6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0BtdFpw9-Y
    Nice one, that would do me just fine...only me and my acoustic at the min, though band rehearsals would be useful when we're allowed out again
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4750
    I've owned a Shure MV88 (£119 at Andertons) for a couple of months now and like it very much. I'm doing audio recordings, not video. Records me and my mate in his kitchen (2 x acoustics, 2 x vox) very nicely. The audio app is decent enough but it also works with Garageband, Multitrack DAW and anything else that runs on the device.

Not tried it with anything loud, but it's supposed to cope with a loud band as well. 
    I've owned a Shure MV88 (£119 at Andertons) for a couple of months now and like it very much. I'm doing audio recordings, not video. Records me and my mate in his kitchen (2 x acoustics, 2 x vox) very nicely. The audio app is decent enough but it also works with Garageband, Multitrack DAW and anything else that runs on the device.

Not tried it with anything loud, but it's supposed to cope with a loud band as well. 
    That was one of the other ones I was looking at...glad to hear you're getting on well with it. Wasn't sure if it was worth the extra £ over the Zoom options...
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 104
    I've got a couple of Rode lavalier mics that worked well with an (old) iPad 3. I also have an adaptor that allows me to use the 2 together, albeit in mono.

Also, there are several audio interfaces that could be connected via ye olde camera kit, there must be a modern equivalent of that. The unit should probably be self powered rather than USB powered.

All my phones are android now, iPads are for gigs only so my contribution is a bit dated.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27419
    I have an earlier version of this, which works well.

https://www.bluedesigns.com/products/mikey-digital/
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited April 2020
    TTony said:
    I have an earlier version of this, which works well.

https://www.bluedesigns.com/products/mikey-digital/
    This one seems to be discontinued now, which is a shame as it was well priced and decent reviews
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 839
    edited April 2020

That was one of the other ones I was looking at...glad to hear you're getting on well with it. Wasn't sure if it was worth the extra £ over the Zoom options...
    Do it.  I use an MV88+ with my Samsung and its superb.   My bandmate has a zoom and the MV+ decent camera is a LOT better sounding with a lot more headroom.

Several times we tried to record whit the Zoom (before I got the MV) and had to give up because of clipping - the MV doesnt blink.

Do it.  I use an MV88+ with my Samsung and its superb.   My bandmate has a zoom and the MV+ decent camera is a LOT better sounding with a lot more headroom.

Several times we tried to record whit the Zoom (before I got the MV) and had to give up because of clipping - the MV doesnt blink.
    That’s interesting to note...thank you, perhaps I’ll save up the few extra £ after all. Not pulled the trigger yet as I’m indecisive at the best of times!