Show us your Bravewood

What's Hot

Comments

• Quite some collection @PhilKing, I’m struggling to get one! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2830
    They’re all beauties, I particularly like the ‘64 and the ‘57’s.  They must be good because it almost makes me want to get a bass too  :)
    I’ve yet to play a Bravewood and sort of don’t want to as I’m happy with my guitars right now
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    Does he do NOS finishes?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15379
    tFB Trader
    GuyR said:
    Loving the Burgundy Mist Jazz.
    I think burgundy mist metallic is so cool - a seriously under-rated colour IMO
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1185
    Something about the strat headstock shapes, looks almost cunetto era to me. Which I find very unappealing. Not like a vintage strat at all.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25016
    edited April 2020
    Fantastic looking guitars, especially the blue hardtail on the previous page.  Some years ago I was obsessed with getting a Bravewood, I was always looking at his website but they seemed very expensive at the time.  Now I could afford one, but I can also afford Fender CS, which isn't necessarily better - or even as good - but is a lot easier to get hold of.
    GuyR said:
    Burgundy Mist - with matching headstock, that's compulsory - is definitely one of my favourite Fender colours.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • armitaanarmitaan Frets: 380
    edited April 2020
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2525
    brooom said:
    Something about the strat headstock shapes, looks almost cunetto era to me. Which I find very unappealing. Not like a vintage strat at all.
    I guess we should be grateful that his headstocks are nothing like the vintage outline and at best his guitars look like fake Fender Custom Shop relics. Not much point in a guitar that strictly speaking you cannot sell again through legitimate platforms without problems. I hope they aren't expensive.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1573
    Strat54 said:
    brooom said:
    I guess we should be grateful that his headstocks are nothing like the vintage outline and at best his guitars look like fake Fender Custom Shop relics. Not much point in a guitar that strictly speaking you cannot sell again through legitimate platforms without problems. I hope they aren't expensive.
    He deliberately marks them up as Bravewood, though you can't see it unless you take the neck off.  He doesn't want people selling them as originals.  The key thing about them is the feel and look.  In my case, he took my 57 neck and replicated it, but with a bit wider nut, which was what I wanted.  He manages to get the exact feel of the original.  The same on the 64, I have a 63 veneer board and can compare them.

In my case, I bought them to use out, where I don't want to take the originals because of the value.  All of mine give me exactly what I wanted in the guitars.  The relicing is something that you need specify, as it can be a bit over the top at times.  All of mine look like old guitars (see @WezV comments).  I have 4 vintage Strats that I can compare them to, and the feel is spot on.  

I actually don't buy guitars expecting to sell them on.  I guess I'm lucky in that aspect.  If I did want to sell some, I could sell the originals and keep the Bravewoods, and still get the sound and feel that I want.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dallcorpdallcorp Frets: 139
    edited April 2020

Strat54 said:
     Not much point in a guitar that strictly speaking you cannot sell again through legitimate platforms without problems. I hope they aren't expensive.
        "Not much point?".........no none apart from the pleasure of owning and playing some of the best recreations available?
     Bravewoods seem to sell incredibly quickly on whatever platform they appear? Probably because they are better and rarer than the increasingly common Fender CS efforts?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Strat54 said:
    brooom said:
    well then I suppose the best way to avoid that would be not to put the fender logo on it, right?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • This happens whenever we talk about relic guitars on here, same old comments. 

Rather than the purpose of the thread which was show us photos of your Bravewood. 

Why make comments to derail the purpose of the thread? Do me a favour and don't bother. 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    don't get me wrong, I think they're really cool guitars. I only commented that aesthetically I don't like the headstock of the strats as they're quite different from a pre cbs strat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • brooom said:
    don't get me wrong, I think they're really cool guitars. I only commented that aesthetically I don't like the headstock of the strats as they're quite different from a pre cbs strat.
    what exactly is different on the headstocks compared to vintage strats. I've never noticed any difference to be honest so i'd love to know what exactly it is please?

His guitars are excellently made and if the fender custom shop didn't keep churning out shitty strat's with below average pickups then no-one would be looking at anything other than fenders.

Unfortunately speaking as someone who has owned over 50 custom shop relics strat's over the years i've never found one that sounds, feel, plays or looks as good as a bravewood.

I play for a living and i want the sound to be correct and the vibe to be right, not a crappy tweed case, a few stickers, a below average strap and a COA. However that's just my opinion and i understand everything doesn't like the same thing.

Anyway back to all the pictures of the bravewoods this thread was meant for.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020
    @stevie_the_spy where the headstock curves/rolls into the round shape at the end of the headstock, the bravewood (at least the ones posted here) have a "belly", much the like the Cunetto Era Fenders, which means they curve outwards for the full length of the headstock.

Whereas the original fenders curved outwards and then inwards again at the middle, before joining the round part. Not sure how else to explain it, but it's quite noticeable.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • This happens whenever we talk about relic guitars on here, same old comments. 

Rather than the purpose of the thread which was show us photos of your Bravewood. 

Why make comments to derail the purpose of the thread? Do me a favour and don't bother. 

Quite right 
  • @brooom - I just checked my sunburst rosewood Bravewood against my original 1963 strat and they're the same. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020
    @bgmartinsbridge - I don't doubt that they are, but you can read the bold part of what I wrote in my post:

brooom said:
    @stevie_the_spy where the headstock curves/rolls into the round shape at the end of the headstock, the bravewood (at least the ones posted here) have a "belly", much the like the Cunetto Era Fenders, which means they curve outwards for the full length of the headstock.

Whereas the original fenders curved outwards and then inwards again at the middle, before joining the round part. Not sure how else to explain it, but it's quite noticeable.

And yes, basically the ones posted in the photos here don't look authentic at all. I know that John's necks have evolved throughout the years, so potentially those are earlier ones.

I remember having one side by side with my original 1964 stratocaster and it looked nothing like it.

For some reason you guys are under the misconception that I'm lessening your guitars. I've told you I think bravewoods are cool, I even contacted John about them at some point. But the headstock shapes I've seen and indeed the photos you guys posted here, are not like a pre-cbs at all.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1573
    They're actually only very slightly different if you put them side by side.  This is my Bravewood 64 vs my real Burgundy mist 63.  One thing John does do is get the thickness of the headstock right, which most modern strats don't seem to do as well.

btw, the clay dots had gone whiter by 1964 and the spacing had changed on the 12th fret, as shown in this real 64 strat (showing how John looks at the details)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1379
    Philly_Q said:
    Fantastic looking guitars, especially the blue hardtail on the previous page.  Some years ago I was obsessed with getting a Bravewood, I was always looking at his website but they seemed very expensive at the time.  Now I could afford one, but I can also afford Fender CS, which isn't necessarily better - or even as good - but is a lot easier to get hold of.
    GuyR said:
    Burgundy Mist - with matching headstock, that's compulsory - is definitely one of my favourite Fender colours.
    I'd be tempted by a Strat in burgundy mist with  a matching headstock. Shame he doesn't do custom orders. When I bought my last one, I suggested 3 alternatives and let John choose.  
    I do think it's great that other members try to protect us from ourselves, with their superior taste. I'm really grateful.