Show us your Bravewood

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25016
    GuyR said:
    I'd be tempted by a Strat in burgundy mist with  a matching headstock. Shame he doesn't do custom orders. When I bought my last one, I suggested 3 alternatives and let John choose.  
    I do think it's great that other members try to protect us from ourselves, with their superior taste. I'm really grateful.
    That's one of the main reasons I never actually tried to buy one.  He may be a lovely chap, but I always found the tone of his website quite intimidating!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HysterHyster Frets: 213
    Pretty happy with mine, it is a lovely thing, I'm lucky enough to have some pretty nice guitars but I know my guitar teacher much prefers it when I bring the Bravewood to my lessons so he can have a blast on it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1379
    Philly_Q said:
    GuyR said:
    I'd be tempted by a Strat in burgundy mist with  a matching headstock. Shame he doesn't do custom orders. When I bought my last one, I suggested 3 alternatives and let John choose.  
    I do think it's great that other members try to protect us from ourselves, with their superior taste. I'm really grateful.
    That's one of the main reasons I never actually tried to buy one.  He may be a lovely chap, but I always found the tone of his website quite intimidating!
    It is a little off putting, but I found him very pleasant and enthusiastic. If you are obviously serious, with a good idea of what you want, then no problem. As a one man band with no front of house, you get the impression he'd rather be building guitars than discussing somebody's fantasy build they have no intention of buying, or dealing with people that change their mind half Way through.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1185
    edited April 2020
    actually @bgmartinsbridge I noticed you're selling the Esquire on ebay, I also notice it has what seems to be a Fender Japan neck (you can tell by the way the edge of the back of the headstock is rolled), have you asked John about that?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2952
    edited April 2020
    Thanks @brooom - I took it off sale and then put it back up. I'm guessing you didn't bother reading my description on there. 

Actually... I've PM'd you mate! 

Do you know, I'm considering taking some time out from this forum. 
    When it gets to the point that you start a thread to get people to show you photos of their guitars and it becomes a handful of people trying to be snidy and win points, what is the f'ing point of bothering to start threads? 

This place has changed over the last year massively and not for the better. 

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    edited April 2020
    Thanks @brooom - I took it off sale and then put it back up. I'm guessing you didn't bother reading my description on there. 

Actually... I've PM'd you mate! 

Do you know, I'm considering taking some time out from this forum. 
    When it gets to the point that you start a thread to get people to show you photos of their guitars and it becomes a handful of people trying to be snidy and win points, what is the f'ing point of bothering to start threads? 

This place has changed over the last year massively and not for the better. 

I have a feeling you're getting annoyed for little to no reason, this is the internet, if you post something which may have a sliver of contention it will be bought up, you have no control over that, so why get annoyed, it's technically a fake which ever way you look at it how ever good it is,.
    Does that mean it's a bad guitar? 
    No of course not, does it play and sound well.. 

. Clearly so,
     So why get your knickers in a twist over some comments you should have known were coming anyways? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2952
    edited April 2020
    @strangefan - you're right, I shouldn't have bothered. Won't be starting any new threads on here. Appreciated.

At the end of the day, this forum has changed massively. 

Go back two to three years and it would have been photos and discussion about cool guitars. 

Now it's people trying to win points and giving their opinion that something is shit (but just their opinion). Death by social media. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    @strangefan - you're right, I shouldn't have bothered. Won't be starting any new threads on here. Appreciated.

At the end of the day, this forum has changed massively. 

Go back two to three years and it would have been photos and discussion about cool guitars. 

Now it's people trying to win points and giving their opinion that something is shit (but just their opinion). Death by social media. 
    Believe me m8 it's always been the same here, don't forget as well people are all suck in frustrations are high and things which were not important before (like photos on the net) are now having increasing importance due to life being put on hold, you should have been here 5 years ago when da lefty, drews first incarnation, bluewolf to name a few would make this a hugely toxic atmosphere, its honestly alot better, and will improve again as real life gets back in track. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @strangefan - you're probably right :-)
    Just checked and amazingly I've been on here since Oct 2015. Which is mental. And yes, I think I missed alot of the really early stuff. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1185
    edited April 2020
    @bgmartinsbridge - honestly didn't mean to upset you with my comments. I did read the description of the guitar but found nothing about the neck. I'll stop posting on this thread though as you seem to be taking every small comment very personally.

And by the way in case you're wondering I didn't lol your reply.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    I lol every single one of @bgmartinsbridge replies. They're just so god damn funny! 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 174
    Back on track, I love the pix - thanks for sharing.  Around 2007 I had an early Bravewood Strat build that I eventually moved on, great guitar would definitely buy again if I could find a reasonably priced example !

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1573
    GuyR said:
    Philly_Q said:
    GuyR said:
    It is a little off putting, but I found him very pleasant and enthusiastic. If you are obviously serious, with a good idea of what you want, then no problem. As a one man band with no front of house, you get the impression he'd rather be building guitars than discussing somebody's fantasy build they have no intention of buying, or dealing with people that change their mind half Way through.

The original problem was that people would call him up when he was in the middle of things and if he didn't answer, instead of leaving a message, would keep calling.  As a one man operation, he would lose a lot of time if he answered every call.  I never had an issue with him, but never pressed him on delivery (I'm very patient, ask @WezV). ; I've met him many times.  He's a great bass player and has made some incredible original design basses, some of which I've tried.  I always tried to get him to make me an SG, but he wouldn't. 

He moved his workshop a few years ago from Redruth, and I lost touch with him (I would usually pop in when I was visiting Bare Knuckle).  It was always interesting to see what he had on the go.   I got the lightest swamp ash body for my 57 Strat by picking it out a a few he had just made.  It was great timing that day.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17461
    PhilKing said:

(I'm very patient, ask @WezV).  ;
    On that note, I just popped to pick up all my unfinished projects from storage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1573
    WezV said:
    PhilKing said:

(I'm very patient, ask @WezV).  ;
    On that note, I just popped to pick up all my unfinished projects from storage.
    That's great Wez.  Does it mean that you have your workshop set up (or nearly set up)?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17461
    That's the next job.   At the moment its a bit of a mess, should be starting again soon
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1379
    PhilKing said:
    GuyR said:
    Philly_Q said:
    GuyR said:

The original problem was that people would call him up when he was in the middle of things and if he didn't answer, instead of leaving a message, would keep calling.  As a one man operation, he would lose a lot of time if he answered every call.  I never had an issue with him, but never pressed him on delivery (I'm very patient, ask @WezV). ; I've met him many times.  He's a great bass player and has made some incredible original design basses, some of which I've tried.  I always tried to get him to make me an SG, but he wouldn't. 

He moved his workshop a few years ago from Redruth, and I lost touch with him (I would usually pop in when I was visiting Bare Knuckle).  It was always interesting to see what he had on the go.   I got the lightest swamp ash body for my 57 Strat by picking it out a a few he had just made.  It was great timing that day.
    It is a pity that when he updated his website, the images of previous builds were not transferred. They were a pleasure to browse through. These days, there are a half dozen or so of each type, mainly sunbursts. Still, bearing in mind he almost never posts a guitar for sale, there would be no reason to waste time updating it. I'm glad I got round to downloading the images of my Strat from the original site before it was taken down.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2147
    A Fender American Original Series would be very close, unless you're after rosewood.

A some point Bravewood switched to using Fender hardware, as opposed to using the lathe etc.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28013
    WTB comments removed - he already has a WTB thread in the classifieds.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1429
    edited January 2022
    Almost 2 years late to the party (sorry for the thread revival Brad)… here’s my Bravewood S-type. I had a Bravewood T-type once before that looked amazing in every way but tonally it wasn’t quite there. This S-type is absolutely there in terms of feel and tone. Very happy with it. The neck in particular feels just like vintage, which I think is the main area Fender CS doesn’t quite get it right.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom