Lockdown pedal builds

What's Hot
PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
edited April 2020 in Making & Modding
Spent the day finishing up a big muff clone and progressing on a Zendrive clone 

lots of meticulous work at the Kitchen table , but to be honest I was pretty disappointed by the big muff.   When I was about 15 and started playing guitar seriously I had a Screaming Tree , a Big Muff and a lovely Kitchen Marshall 100w PA amp. I played a Tele exclusively for the first 7 years or so with this rig.     Nostalgia made me think I really should build a muff to recapture those sounds from my youth , but it’s just not the same !! I have tried all sorts of transistors today to try take out the harshness and get that creamy distortion I remember - but to no avail.

Will persevere to get the BM sounding good but Keen to try something else if people have some good muff-like suggestions (steady......). 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    I've built 5 different Muff variants, and I'm sort of with you. I have one "Violet Rams Head" clone I made that sounds good to me, although I prefer how it sounds when I push it a bit with another drive pedal or a boost. The rest sort of get close, but fall short.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Have you put a booster in front of the Muff? It's the only way I can get on with them at all. I've been meaning to build one with a build-in booster...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    No.  I will try that.  I have a mosfet boost on my board which I will try.  Cheers 
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 368
    edited May 2021
    Well lockdown has kind of finished but I finally got around to building a kit which is Jed Peds Magna Vibes. At the pre switch and LED stage but it’s sounding lovely. Not keen on pure pitch vibrato but it’s a kind of tremolo / vibrato hybrid which I really like. Absolute bargain considering how much this kind of pedal sells for. Need to figure out how to make it go a bit slower, have some leads on that, photos when it’s boxed etc.

Update - Since I have worked out how to add pictures again (hit space!) here it is. Chorus blue was only working spray can I had. There’s a switchable Kl*n style buffer inside and I modded it a bit to go more slowly, gets more subtle the slower it goes but that’s fine with me. Loving the effect

Edit: sorry if I hijacked your thread @PeteC I thought it was the other lockdown pedal build thread doh!

This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom