Paul Davids’ Next Level Playing

Has anyone tried this course?
https://learnpracticeplay.com/next-level-signup/

I think his YouTube stuff is really good. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5628
    I really like his approach and will sign up for this when I get time.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    edited April 2020
    What I've found with online courses is you definitely need to make sure they're at your level.  Not too easy or hard, otherwise it's a waste of time and money.  

This definitely looks to be an improvers to intermediate type course.  The top level is - flatten the 7th in a major scale, add the 2nd, 4th and 6th to chords, 12-bar blues rhythm and lead.  Nothing massively groundbreaking.

I find Davids an appealing personality so if his course fits your needs, go for it.  However for a far wider range of content and ability, a Truefire subscription at the same price has to worth consideration.
  • Tempted by the Tom Morello masterclass as well. 

• chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    I’m doing the “Next level playing”.

i needed something to give structure to learning, and it works for me.

i was at the “cowboy chords” end of the spectrum, and i’m happy with the improvements i’m seeing and hearing in my playing.

seem to remember a 14 day “no questions asked” refund if you subscribed and it wasn’t for you.

i like him, and have already watched a lot of his youtube. I saw the cost of the course as similar to that of a mid-level pedal, so in the scheme of things, reasonable.
  • The YouTube lessons of his I’ve watched have been brilliant. He seems to understand the psychology of people learning things. His communication is top notch. I’m tempted by this course. 
  • blacknblackblacknblack Frets: 42
    edited April 2020
    What I've found with online courses is you definitely need to make sure they're at your level.  Not too easy or hard, otherwise it's a waste of time and money.  

This definitely looks to be an improvers to intermediate type course.  The top level is - flatten the 7th in a major scale, add the 2nd, 4th and 6th to chords, 12-bar blues rhythm and lead.  Nothing massively groundbreaking.

I find Davids an appealing personality so if his course fits your needs, go for it.  However for a far wider range of content and ability, a Truefire subscription at the same price has to worth consideration.
    It is very difficult to know what level it is aimed at.  Sounds like a might be a bit basic.  
  • TforTeleTforTele Frets: 33
    Just been enjoying his dissection of something by Josh Smith.  I’m another fan of his video teaching style.  Seems happy to go in at a certain level and not try to simplify too much.  Not long ago this video was going over my head, but now can get a lot out of it.
  • I’ve signed up.  Will see how it goes. 
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 226
    Old thread but I'm doing this course and really enjoying it. 
  • Yeah I’m really enjoying as well.  Taking it nice and slow - forcing myself to properly understand and practice.  I’m sure my playing has improved a lot.  
    How long had you been playing  when you started?
  • @drpbier i had basic chords and strumming from about 25 years ago when I was at uni.  I suppose I started playing properly about 4 years ago.  I’d got bored of rote learning songs from tab.  
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    I purchased the course too.  I’m finding it useful, although I need to give it a bit more of my focus and time.  I’m dipping in and out fairly irregularly and I have many competing time-sinks.  I probably have the technical ability to play everything on there without too much difficulty, but it’s filling holes in my knowledge in what seems like a logical way.  I’ve been playing around 20 years, but my theory knowledge is around that of someone who has been playing 20 weeks... 

I think it will pay to work through and try to let things sink in before moving on.  It would be easy to learn the solo at the end of each level without actually taking in much of the course content - I’m trying to avoid that. 

There’s a private Facebook group for students, which is a very supportive and positive page - I haven’t seen anything negative on there yet.  No input on there from Paul himself though. 
    SteveF said:
     No input on there from Paul himself though. 
    Yes, I find that a little disappointing TBH. However I agree that the group is useful and the course itself seems excellent...also seems to reward multiple runs through it.

@drpbier i had basic chords and strumming from about 25 years ago when I was at uni.  I suppose I started playing properly about 4 years ago.  I’d got bored of rote learning songs from tab.  
    Sounds not dissimilar to me...the solos are a challenge!
  • drpbier said:
    SteveF said:
     No input on there from Paul himself though. 
    Yes, I find that a little disappointing TBH. However I agree that the group is useful and the course itself seems excellent...also seems to reward multiple runs through it.
    That's the problem I find with online lessons - I like being able to repeat and study when I have time but there's no feedback loop. Working with a real tutor, as I still do, I get the instant feedback - right and left hand errors picked up instantly, two ears listening out for the nuances etc. I really miss that with online and end up stopping at the "that'll do" moment rather than mastering the song / technique / whatever.