Pensions and ISA ideas

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
As mentioned elsewhere, I held my SIPP in cash for a long time waiting for the bubble to burst, and then realised when the March crash happened that funds were too slow to enter and exit in a highly volatile market (i.e. ordering a buy/sell before 8am, when the price is not even disclosed until the afternoon), so started buying shares with no real preparation

Therefore I've been quickly learning how to trade in shares over the last month, it's been quite a journey
I think I could have made 2 or 3 times as much if I had more experience, but you need to learn somehow, and to be honest, few have experience of share dealing during a crash anyway. In fact, my naive "risky" shares in my ISA far outperformed the sensible thought-out ones in my SIPP

Long term I'm thinking of a mixture of managed funds and shares, or perhaps even mostly shares if I feel sure about companies
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    What platform do you use for single share? I went into vanguard and missed out on a little growth due to the price already being up by the time the trade happened. I'm looking for long term growth overall but would be good to know what to look into should I change my mindm
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    I have  Hargreaves Lansdown for SIPP and ISA share dealing
    sometimes you can't get a quote if the share is moving quickly, and GUI is rubbish

Just opened an IG account, which I'll move the ISA to. They are more geared up for shares, and can do DMA if needed (I have found that advance orders are often not executed on HL)

Saxo is supposed to be good too

I looked at which shares had dropped 80% in 1 month, and eliminated a few where they looked less stable
    Sadly, some I eliminated went up loads, even 250% up on one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    sometimes you can't get a quote if the share is moving quickly, and GUI is rubbish

Just opened an IG account, which I'll move the ISA to. They are more geared up for shares, and can do DMA if needed (I have found that advance orders are often not executed on HL)

You can normally issue buy/sell orders at trigger/limit prices?

IE, buy this when the price falls below £x, sell that if the price reaches £y, etc.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:

You can normally issue buy/sell orders at trigger/limit prices?

IE, buy this when the price falls below £x, sell that if the price reaches £y, etc.
    I did that, and it doesn't work sometimes, I've had to go in and manually do it after it went past the limit I set
    It's only worked once for me on HL I think

I don't know that IG do it on market maker's books by default, but the LSE lists them as one of the few firms that have DMA

My point is - does your advance limit-based order go on the market maker's books - in which case it should be executed by them when the limit is reached, or is it just executed as an order to market when your broker's system triggers on the current price?

Anyway, I haven't bought anything on IG yet, but they are mostly a shares/CFD operation, whereas HL customers are more funds-oriented I think, so I assume IG will function better
    I can't tell if investing in Far east excl Japan is a good idea or not
    I assume the manufacturing capability and economy there will take less of a hit than in the west, but who will be buying their output? these funds went down 50% after the 2008 sub-prime crisis, AFAIK because demand for goods dropped
  • I use interactive investor for shares and isa - fairly cheap, easy to use and instant. 

Also just opened eToro as I've started looking at oil/ uso. Found after about a five year gap that ii doesn't trade it anymore.

I use interactive investor for shares and isa - fairly cheap, easy to use and instant. 

Also just opened eToro as I've started looking at oil/ uso. Found after about a five year gap that ii doesn't trade it anymore.

don't they do ETFs for oil?

• Oddly not the one I want. USO.
    I enquired and they told me it's not something they offer at the moment, which is strange, as I believe it's the biggest (or one of the biggest) global oil fund.
    It's not meant to be considered a long term fund, which may be why. 

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited April 2020
    @ToneControl ;;As you know my investing strategy is to buy good mutual funds and hold them for the long term through thick and thin, so my interactions with my investments are minimal except to pay in extra money each month until it's time to start drawdown. The aim with the Pension fund I have is to provide a basic retirement drawdown to cover living expenses and add to my final salary pension/state pension when that kicks in.

I plan to take some of the cream off the top of the S&S ISA fund growth, annually in retirement, as cash for luxuries such as holidays and towards car purchases etc. Slowly over time I would look to covert more investment growth into building a larger cash reserve.

However, I'm interested in learning more about direct stock picking and buy/sell strategies. What criteria do you use to select stocks and what's your trigger for selling? Do you look to buy and hold or buy and trade in short time windows? Any good YouTubers with good advice or tips to get started?

I wouldn't mind having a dabble with a few quid to learn the ropes.

I was a newbie the first day I traded for real, which was not ideal
    I'd advise reading up on avoiding FOMO, and having strategies, keeping a journal
    My strategy on day 1 of the crash was simply that I noticed that, aside from the big caps VOD, BARC, RDSB, etc, which are usually moving in proportion to the FTSE (or the reverse, by definition), lots of shares had dropped up to 90%, presumably just because people hit "sell all".

I've put effort into trying to understand the balance sheet for each. In my ISA, I bought a load of these and sold usually when they went up 50% or when the growth stalled, some made a bit of a loss. This got me to £28k from £20k in 3 weeks. I think that chance has gone now, but there are still some shares near their bottom price

If you go to ADVFN, you can look up shares and check out their finances easily
    https://uk.advfn.com/p.php?pid=financials&symbol=LSE%3ABWNG
    but ideally, visit their site, read the accounts, etc.

This one went down,  this week for the 2nd time, I'd already traded in it the week before, and thought about buying at 10p, but wondered if they were about to go bust, then it went up 150% from there this week
    https://uk.advfn.com/stock-market/london/brown-n-BWNG/chart/real-time

there will be more chances like this

learn about the covenants the lenders have, they can close a business. My assumption is that the govt will instruct the banks to be lenient, but not all loans are from UK banks

Learn about retracement chart theory

I wanted to buy and hold, was intent on value investing, but realised that currently you can make fast gains from trading frequently. 

A lot of the REITs are very cheap, they went up 20% this week, but hopefully will be down 10%+ next week, and I may buy some

I think the main FTSE100 stock is not discounted enough currently to buy for the long term, whereas the small cap ones that went down 80% or more must be good candidates if you read the books and see through the narrative the directors spin

also ADVFN shows news on each share, read these every day, often at 7am - sometimes ones arrive mid-day, that can quickly change the price
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    I use Selftrade ...it seems ok....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    I can't tell if investing in Far east excl Japan is a good idea or not
    I assume the manufacturing capability and economy there will take less of a hit than in the west, but who will be buying their output? these funds went down 50% after the 2008 sub-prime crisis, AFAIK because demand for goods dropped
    I wouldn’t be so quick to excl. Japan - they’ve just announced a stimulus to onshore manufacturing capabilities from China, which has the potential to make things interesting for supply chain companies there in the mid-to-long-term.

Also, don’t forget about lifetime ISAs if you’ve not got one already and are under 40 as it’s essentially free money:

https://www.gov.uk/lifetime-isa
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    What’s your thoughts m Easy jet shares?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    What’s your thoughts m Easy jet shares?
    not cheap enough given the risk, there are plenty of more discounted businesses that are more likely to survive
  • The challenge now is will they fall back down to near where they were and are you happy getting in now on the basis they will probably be higher sometime in the next 5 years?
    The challenge now is will they fall back down to near where they were and are you happy getting in now on the basis they will probably be higher sometime in the next 5 years?
    It's a dilemma and a half
    I feel like waiting, I think the economy will drive it down more, but no one knows really
  • Heck of bounce but FOMO... :-)