Pensions and ISA ideas

What's Hot

Comments

• I don't know if I'm enjoying only being half in the current rally.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
    I don't know if I'm enjoying only being half in the current rally.

I'm bored, sitting on cash and hoping this is just a bounce (and cursing the missed opportunities)
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    This fella has some interesting videos on investing:

edited April 2020

I'm bored, sitting on cash and hoping this is just a bounce (and cursing the missed opportunities)
    Tony - what is your long term strategy? Do you have a plan, a methodology for when you buy and when you sell?

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    The challenge now is will they fall back down to near where they were and are you happy getting in now on the basis they will probably be higher sometime in the next 5 years?
    It's a dilemma and a half
    I feel like waiting, I think the economy will drive it down more, but no one knows really
    May be naive but since this was first investment I only put in a small amount so no matter what happens I feel like Im covered.

If the market drops again I have cash waiting that I could put in to take advantage of short term gains. If the market rises I got in relatively near the bottom. I have some set points on the 2 funds I'm invested in after which I will put more in.

Either way this is all money I intend to leave in at least 5 years so in order to truly lose out we'd have to have a serious, long term economic down turn.

There's only 2 things Im not sure about, Im tempted to invest in Asia which I don't have in my portfolio yet so need to research a decent fund there. I have an inkling that Asia might recover faster than the west.

The other one is if there is no further drops should I start drip feeding my ear marked cash in to start taking advantage of the long term rise. My thoughts is that I would wait until at least June / July time to make that call where the low point would hopefully have well and truly passed. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • The big question is V or U or L? 
    The big question is V or U or L? 
    The big question that no-one will be able to answer until it's in the rear view mirror.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @RandallFlagg - totally agree and was the same ten years ago, when I watched it happen and tried to trade it. lol.

Got to be in it for the long term - jump in at a point you think your happy with and walk away or pound averaging over a period of time.

Noone can guess the bottom, we may have seen it or we may be heading back down.

Initial crash, short covering plus push the market back up to regain some of the loses and then let the market crash properly, as we head in to a depression. 

Or, it's all done. Issue over and stimulus to cover economic issues in place. Everyone buy the stock market back to 7500.

Take your choice but in ten years, I'm with you - rear view mirror and the market won't collapse. Will it? ;-) 

Well I figure that if it collapses over 10 years then we're all fucked anyway right?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Exactly
    Well I figure that if it collapses over 10 years then we're all fucked anyway right?
    The stock market won't collapse unless there is a complete breakdown of global capitalist society and there are no more businesses trading anywhere in the world. The stock market has survived world wars, in fact thrived during such times, the current virus crisis is not on that level. 

As you say, if there is a world destroying catastrophic event such as all out nuclear war then investments in the collapsed stock markets will be last of our worries as money will have no real value.

In terms of is this a V U or L immediate market forecast. I hope it's V and we are already on the way back up. Countries are starting to re-open and business will start to flow gaining more and more momentum through the rest of Q2.

But, regardless of what it is, I wish I had more to invest each month! I could salary sacrifice a lot more into my pension but am smashing my mortgage at the moment to get rid of it as that is part of my long term strategy.

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    In terms of is this a V U or L immediate market forecast. I hope it's V and we are already on the way back up. Countries are starting to re-open and business will start to flow gaining more and more momentum through the rest of Q2.

But, regardless of what it is, I wish I had more to invest each month! I could salary sacrifice a lot more into my pension but am smashing my mortgage at the moment to get rid of it as that is part of my long term strategy.
    Yeah, me too ...but my rate is so low, and probably will remain so, it hardly seems worth it when I can get at least 3% just in RateSetter, let alone potentially more in Pension or ISA.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:

Yeah, me too ...but my rate is so low, and probably will remain so, it hardly seems worth it when I can get at least 3% just in RateSetter, let alone potentially more in Pension or ISA.
    Absolutely, but after being offered redundancy or alternative position (which I took and am not really enjoying), in 2017, I made a decision that should it happen again, I want to be mortgage free as finding a salary like I am on at present in my area would be nigh on impossible. Paying into investments/pension makes far more sense financially as the investment gains far outweigh the interest charged...IF your income is secure. If there is any doubt then it makes more sense to get debt free first...then smash into the investments.

If redundancy comes around again, I want to be in a position to take it as it's a good chunk after 17 years in this job. Not having that mortgage hanging round my neck will help enormously. Currently I will be 100% debt free in 22 months....I'm crossing off the days.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Ive already overpaid as much as I can til Xmas sadly on my mortgage. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    @RandallFlagg  -  Sure I get that...its definitely been a toss up here as well, we are hitting the mortgage hard, thing is for us is the actual original loan is almost paid, but as we had an offset flexible mortgage with Barclays, we used some of that for an extension on the house, which was well worth it, but...it does mean a slightly longer term now to pay off that extra bit, good news is we borrowed a large amount at a low rate.

There will be pivotal point I guess where it will make sense to get the loan paid off.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    spark240 said: when I can get at least 3% just in RateSetter, let alone potentially more in Pension or ISA.
     I've been bailing out of P2P as fast as I can as it feels an extremely vulnerable investment in the current climate. Ratesetter was fastest to exit, followed by zopa, whereas I got virtually nowt out of funding circle after many weeks before they "paused" their secondary market.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791

Tony - what is your long term strategy? Do you have a plan, a methodology for when you buy and when you sell?
    Long term plan is value investing, and some managed funds or investment trusts in more remote markets

short term is trying to make short-term profits from the undulations of the volatile market

I'm no expert, but this seems pretty logical 

Also might short the FTSE or S+P on its way down next time. nearly did this week but had not set the account up in time
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    I've been thinking about things that are useless now, but in the future people will need again. So my first thought was the cinema etc, then I found this leisure industry tracker with Cineworld and P&O Ferries etc. Was at about 10000 and now at 6000 odd.
    Does this seem like a sensible thing to filter my money in to at the minute, or are there better options? You can search for it under NMX5750.